SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
davidtaylorjr

Matthew 19:19-20 For Everyone?

davidtaylorjr

I am a member of another forum and there has recently been a discussion on whether the Great Commission is for all Christians or only the apostles. What do you think?

Here is an article with my thoughts on the topic:

https://reformedtruths.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/go-ye-all-into-the-world/

At the end of Matthew’s Gospel we see the final instructions given by Christ to His Disciples:

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.  – Matthew 28:19 (ESV)

This command is pretty straightforward if read at face value with its plain meaning. They were to go and preach the Gospel to all people. But there have been questions regarding this passage and whether or not it would apply to all Christians or only to the Apostles themselves. (More at the blog)

• Like 4

Truthfrees
14 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

I am a member of another forum and there has recently been a discussion on whether the Great Commission is for all Christians or only the apostles. What do you think?

Here is an article with my thoughts on the topic:

https://reformedtruths.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/go-ye-all-into-the-world/

At the end of Matthew’s Gospel we see the final instructions given by Christ to His Disciples:

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.  – Matthew 28:19 (ESV)

This command is pretty straightforward if read at face value with its plain meaning. They were to go and preach the Gospel to all people. But there have been questions regarding this passage and whether or not it would apply to all Christians or only to the Apostles themselves. (More at the blog)

amen to the message on the blog

• Like 1

CDF47

Interesting question.  I think they got it right that it applies to all Christians.

Dok

It applied to the 12 who were to inform the Jewish world that Jesus IS the Promised Messiah, not works. The message for everyone is found in the writings of Paul. 

Bull of the Woods

The command seems to be to the apostles. Context, context, context! 

The application today to me is not to hinder the gospel's spread and to recognize that the Holy Spirit still gifts some to be evangelists and some of them may be led to personally go. 

The need is still there. But each and every one of us is not commanded to travel to other countries. We ARE the furthest reaches of the earth that the gospel was to be taken to.

Edited by Bull of the Woods

Innerfire89

It's a command to the apostles alone. If it were not, then I would think we would at least see something in regards to the churhes going out into the rest of the world, but scripture shows the churches that the letters were wrote to, to be quite stationary.

Not saying we shouldn't share the Gospel, in fact I'd say that sharing the Gospel is something that  offten occurs within our lives as Christians,  it's just something that happens by God's leading in our lives, some more than others, maybe not at all for a few.

Sue D.

There are modern missions -- a person who feels led to go to another country / people group to evangelize / start churches -- get schooling / apply to a mission board , get accepted, raise funds to go , learn the language , go to the other location to share  the Gospel unto salvation.  

reformed baptist
5 hours ago, Dok said:

It applied to the 12 who were to inform the Jewish world that Jesus IS the Promised Messiah, not works. The message for everyone is found in the writings of Paul. 

I'm sorry but a simple reading of the text demonstrates that is not the case: 

Matt 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.  (NKJ)

Jesus Christ did not say, "make disciples of the Jews" - he said, "make disciples of all the nations

However your post does allow me to raise an interesting point - in the New Testament there is no distinction made any nation in regards to the gospel, all need to hear and the disciples were to go to them all, Jew, Samaritan, and Gentile (Acts 1:8)

reformed baptist
4 hours ago, Bull of the Woods said:

The command seems to be to the apostles. Context, context, context! 

3 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

It's a command to the apostles alone.

There are some clear problems with taking this stance:

1) The Language of the great commission:

"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen." (NKJ)

Is that mission accomplished yet - has every nation heard the gospel? 

To say this is only for the apostles is create a failure in plan - it is to say God sent them on a task they did not complete for they never reached South America (or England for that matter)

Then also notice this phrase "even to the end of the age." - Some translation render it "the end of the world" (KJV) it reads τῆς συντελείας τοῦ αἰῶνος.  The word αἰών is the one Jesus Christ uses to describe 'this age' (Mark 12:32) and the 'age to come'  (Mark 10:30). Why does Jesus Christ say he is with them to the end of the age, if they didn't live to see it? 

The implication is clear - Jesus Christ is still with his church (and will continue to be so) therefore the same is required of us. We are to take the gospel to the nations. 

2) Paul wasn't there 

Paul seems to have taken the Great Commission as if it applied to him - but he wasn't there when it was given. Nor were Barnabas, Silas, Luke and Timothy but they seem to have taken it all as applying to them.

• Like 3

reformed baptist

The application today to me is not to hinder the gospel's spread and to recognize that the Holy Spirit still gifts some to be evangelists and some of them may be led to personally go. 

Do you believe you have a personal responsibility to evangelism - or is that something for other people?

The need is still there. But each and every one of us is not commanded to travel to other countries. We ARE the furthest reaches of the earth that the gospel was to be taken to.

No we are not, and the great commission has to be understood in the context of other statements made that enlarge upon it, for example in Acts 1:8 the disciples were told: "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."  notice here that there was a need for them to work among their own people as well as taking the gospel to the nations. What we see in the book of Acts (and also in the epistles) is exactly how that is worked out. Take for example the church in Antioch - here is a church that is witnessing in it's community (Acts 11:19-20) but they don't stop there - Acts 13:1-3. This is how the great commission works out in practice, a church is established through witness in the community (following missionary effort) and then it works in it's own community whilst it also spreads the gospel through sending people out either as missionaries to distant lands or as church planters more locally. In that way, the Great Commission is being fulfilled by the church to which it was given.  

Bull of the Woods

No, I did not say every Christian does not need to share the gospel. I was specifically speaking of actively traveling to faraway places. Clearly from the earliest Christians not everyone took off on long missionary journeys. Jesus was speaking to His disciples.

Some others went to spread the gospel too. But not every believer.

Of course there are people to be reached yet.

• Like 1

GaoLu

I like this version of the Commission which is for pretty much all of us:

"And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come."   Rev 22:17a

And again:

"Let the redeemed of the Lord say so..." Ps 107:2a

reformed baptist

Jesus was speaking to His disciples

I have already addressed that - he was speaking to his disciple down through the age (until he returns)

PS - thanks for the clarity on the other matters

Edited by reformed baptist

Bull of the Woods
1 minute ago, reformed baptist said:

I have already addressed that - he was speaking to his disciple down through the age (until he returns)

PS - thanks for the clarity on the other matters

It's an interesting question. Hopefully we aren't making mountains out of molehills.

But for instance, on His last evening with the disciples He said the Holy Spirit would remind them, fix it in their minds, all He had taught them. So they could establish and convey truth and doctrine.

I think that was a unique promise to them. Critically needed for the early church until the scriptures were completed.

But it does apply to us indirectly in that the Holy Spirit reveals and teaches us the truths from scripture. That we might understand things in a way an unbeliever can't.

Sue D.

Shouldn't Every believer be Wanting to share the good new of the Gospel with people around them?  Whether it be next door or across the river or on a vacation to some other country.  We could be sharing with a fellow hiker "isn't this a beautiful day that God has given us for hiking?  or boating or 'whatever' a group of tourists are doing.   We should be presenting ourselves as nice, congenial, warm-hearted  people to others. 

theophilus

The commission contains these words, "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you."  They were to preach the gospel to the whole world and to teach their converts to preach the gospel to the whole world as well.

Bull of the Woods
8 minutes ago, theophilus said:

The commission contains these words, "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you."  They were to preach the gospel to the whole world and to teach their converts to preach the gospel to the whole world as well.

Agreed. But I don't think that everyone is supposed to take off for foreign parts. Every individual today is not commanded to go to any other location. Though certainly no one is prohibited from doing so. 

Dok

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen." 

Here is the correct application of that scripture, contextually:

Having already gone (to tell the Chosen People about Jesus as the Promised Messiah), return now to all the tribes of Israel, washing them clean with water when presenting each of them (not the Jewish people group) to the assembly after each one is born again, then teach all of them (as they are accepted in each assembly) to observe faithfully ALL that I have commanded you (the Apostles) and know this, that I am with you forever, even until the end of the application of this established Jewish Covenant.

The established Jewish Covenant, the procedures in it, were done away when Salvation by Grace through Faith was introduced to, and understood by, Jew and Gentile, by and through Paul's Gospel. Recall that Paul made the effort to present the Christian Covenant to the Jews, and when they rejected him, he turned to the Gentiles (Acts 13).

Obviously, the observance of  "all things I have commanded you" could not be required of Gentiles fresh out of the box, and is not applicable to the Church, the Body of Christ. One does not seek to blend the Old with the New.

Innerfire89
11 hours ago, reformed baptist said:

There are some clear problems with taking this stance:

1) The Language of the great commission:

"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen." (NKJ)

Is that mission accomplished yet - has every nation heard the gospel? 

To say this is only for the apostles is create a failure in plan - it is to say God sent them on a task they did not complete for they never reached South America (or England for that matter)

Then also notice this phrase "even to the end of the age." - Some translation render it "the end of the world" (KJV) it reads τῆς συντελείας τοῦ αἰῶνος.  The word αἰών is the one Jesus Christ uses to describe 'this age' (Mark 12:32) and the 'age to come'  (Mark 10:30). Why does Jesus Christ say he is with them to the end of the age, if they didn't live to see it? 

The implication is clear - Jesus Christ is still with his church (and will continue to be so) therefore the same is required of us. We are to take the gospel to the nations. 

2) Paul wasn't there 

Paul seems to have taken the Great Commission as if it applied to him - but he wasn't there when it was given. Nor were Barnabas, Silas, Luke and Timothy but they seem to have taken it all as applying to them.

Good points, but like I mentioned, we don't see any further commands to go out unto all nations to the churches of the epistles. And wasn't Paul appointed as preacher to the Gentiles.

Another thing to consider is, that If the command is to go into every nation to every Christian , then that would mean that every Christian is to go to every nation, it would be impossible to have the biblical church structure and the great commisson at the same time. For example, you can't have elders if they're not there.

davidtaylorjr
1 hour ago, Innerfire89 said:

Good points, but like I mentioned, we don't see any further commands to go out unto all nations to the churches of the epistles. And wasn't Paul appointed as preacher to the Gentiles.

Another thing to consider is, that If the command is to go into every nation to every Christian , then that would mean that every Christian is to go to every nation, it would be impossible to have the biblical church structure and the great commisson at the same time. For example, you can't have elders if they're not there.

First, why would a command already given need to be repeated over and over in Scripture? It is already there.

Second, no, that would not mean every Christian goes to every nation just as it did not mean every individual apostle would go to every nation. 

• Like 2

Innerfire89
22 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

First, why would a command already given need to be repeated over and over in Scripture? It is already there.

Second, no, that would not mean every Christian goes to every nation just as it did not mean every individual apostle would go to every nation. 

I don't think it needs to be repeated, but I would think there would be some rebuke towards someone for not following the command, or encouragement to the churches that were following the command, or perhaps some instruction on going to other nations.

Innerfire89

I wanted to add that we see in Matt 28:16 That it was only the apostles Jesus was talking to.

I think someone pointed that out already though.

Becky

And letters Paul pinned were to those churches guess they should not apply? As with the letters John pinned to the 7 churches? 

Innerfire89
24 minutes ago, Becky said:

And letters Paul pinned were to those churches guess they should not apply? As with the letters John pinned to the 7 churches? 

The church is universal, what is correct for one is correct for all.

Edited by Innerfire89
Forgot a comma.
  • Like 1