Jump to content

SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
davidtaylorjr

Fountain Pens Anyone?

Recommended Posts

davidtaylorjr

Does anyone else here use a fountain pen? If so, what one do you use? What paper do you use? Do you have any suggestions for someone wanting to start using a fountain pen?

 

History: I'm interested because of Dr. Steven Lawson's recommendation to use fountain pens during sermon prep. 

Share this post


Link to post
reformed baptist
35 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Does anyone else here use a fountain pen? If so, what one do you use? What paper do you use? Do you have any suggestions for someone wanting to start using a fountain pen?

 

History: I'm interested because of Dr. Steven Lawson's recommendation to use fountain pens during sermon prep. 

Can't advise on fountain pens I'm afraid - I haven't used one since school! 

 

I am interested in what Dr Lawson (and others) see as the benefits of using such faffy instruments in sermon prep. Personally I prefer minimal distractions so that i can focus on the main task at hand. I normally start with a printed copy  of the text in the middle of an otherwise blank piece of paper and just brainstorm - and I use all kinds of colors of pen for that (the idea of using a fountain pen though doesn't bear thinking about). After that though it is all computer for me - but then I am an IT geek, I worked for  years in the IT industry before becoming a Pastor. 

 

So what are his reasons?  

Share this post


Link to post
davidtaylorjr
25 minutes ago, reformed baptist said:

Can't advise on fountain pens I'm afraid - I haven't used one since school! 

 

I am interested in what Dr Lawson (and others) see as the benefits of using such faffy instruments in sermon prep. Personally I prefer minimal distractions so that i can focus on the main task at hand. I normally start with a printed copy  of the text in the middle of an otherwise blank piece of paper and just brainstorm - and I use all kinds of colors of pen for that (the idea of using a fountain pen though doesn't bear thinking about). After that though it is all computer for me - but then I am an IT geek, I worked for  years in the IT industry before becoming a Pastor. 

 

So what are his reasons?  

There were a few he gave:

 

1. Ink runs smoother than say a ballpoint so you can write quicker with a fountain pen.

2. Writing things out vs. typing them helps you remember them more.

3. Makes it more personal.

4. Also slows you down to make you be intentional about what you are writing and more contemplative on the task at hand.

 

Obviously this is all subjective but it is interesting nonetheless. 

Share this post


Link to post
reformed baptist
3 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

There were a few he gave:

 

1. Ink runs smoother than say a ballpoint so you can write quicker with a fountain pen.

2. Writing things out vs. typing them helps you remember them more.

3. Makes it more personal.

4. Also slows you down to make you be intentional about what you are writing and more contemplative on the task at hand.

 

Obviously this is all subjective but it is interesting nonetheless. 

Thanks -- interesting stuff (and maybe generational too? )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
davidtaylorjr
Just now, reformed baptist said:

Thanks -- interesting stuff (and maybe generational too? )

Perhaps, but I do like to write just about everything except for my sermon prep and I have to wonder, why? If I handwrite just about everything else, why not sermons as well?

 

Now, Dr. Lawson actually handwrites all of his book manuscripts too, I cannot imagine writing papers etc. that way but to each his own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
5 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

2. Writing things out vs. typing them helps you remember them more.

For fun you should include a picture in the bulletin or an overhead projection of your notes. Make sure to write them in cursive, the younger generation will be lost. Obviously, learning cursive is not mandatory anymore and evidence points to the younger generation not being able to read it. After all they seemingly are ignorant of our founding documents.

 

On point number 2 I used to type out or copy complete books into the computer while I read them. It really did help with memory and it gave me an easy searchable database on the books for future reference. Just saying, if you do type them out rather than write them out you'll be able to search the material quickly.

 

God bless,

William

Share this post


Link to post
davidtaylorjr
5 minutes ago, William said:

 

 

On point number 2 I used to type out or copy complete books into the computer while I read them. It really did help with memory and it gave me an easy searchable database on the books for future reference. Just saying, if you do type them out rather than write them out you'll be able to search the material quickly.

 

God bless,

William

1

That's what Evernote is for, just scan it and it magically reads/indexes your handwriting. To this day I have no idea how it figures out my sloppy penmanship!

Share this post


Link to post
William
Staff
6 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

That's what Evernote is for, just scan it and it magically reads/indexes your handwriting. To this day I have no idea how it figures out my sloppy penmanship!

That technology is in its infancy. I know Google Recaptcha contributed to these types of programs. It would show a picture upon registration with numbers or words and a human had to type out what they saw. This contributed to recognizing numbers or words written out. I think this kinda development has contributed to new license plate readers etc.

 

God bless,

William

Share this post


Link to post
reformed baptist
12 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

That's what Evernote is for, just scan it and it magically reads/indexes your handwriting. To this day I have no idea how it figures out my sloppy penmanship!

And then there iPens as well. Most of the time when I'm doing something interactive on a screen I'm using mine and smiling at those who struggle to read my scrawl :RpS_thumbup: 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
theophilus
20 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

There were a few he gave:

 

1. Ink runs smoother than say a ballpoint so you can write quicker with a fountain pen.

2. Writing things out vs. typing them helps you remember them more.

3. Makes it more personal.

4. Also slows you down to make you be intentional about what you are writing and more contemplative on the task at hand.

 

Obviously this is all subjective but it is interesting nonetheless. 

It seems to me that the last three reasons would apply to any kind of pen, not just a fountain pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Knotical
21 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

There were a few he gave:

 

1. Ink runs smoother than say a ballpoint so you can write quicker with a fountain pen.

2. Writing things out vs. typing them helps you remember them more.

3. Makes it more personal.

4. Also slows you down to make you be intentional about what you are writing and more contemplative on the task at hand.

 

Obviously this is all subjective but it is interesting nonetheless. 

It appears points 1 and 4 are in contradiction to each other.

Share this post


Link to post
davidtaylorjr
1 hour ago, theophilus said:

It seems to me that the last three reasons would apply to any kind of pen, not just a fountain pen.

Correct, but number 1 is the reason for the FP.

 

15 minutes ago, Knotical said:

It appears points 1 and 4 are in contradiction to each other.

See above.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...