SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Just Mike

2 Corinthians 5:10 Judgement seat of Christ

Just Mike

In 1 John 1:9 we are told when we confess our sins Jesus is "faithful and just and will forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." NIV 1985 

However in 2 Corinthians 5:10 "For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad."

If we have confessed our sins and been forgiven, the verse in 2 Corinthians 5:10 seems to say that we will be judged for these  sins, even when we have been forgiven in the past.  

Any thoughts on these verses?

• Like 1

reformed baptist
14 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

In 1 John 1:9 we are told when we confess our sins Jesus is "faithful and just and will forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." NIV 1985 

However in 2 Corinthians 5:10 "For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad."

If we have confessed our sins and been forgiven, the verse in 2 Corinthians 5:10 seems to say that we will be judged for these  sins, even when we have been forgiven in the past.  

I would suggest that 1 John 1:9 is about justification, and 2 Cor 5:10 is about sanctification - by that I mean to suggest that Paul is addressing those already saved in 2 cor 5:10 (ie those who have already being purified from all unrighteousness) and his point seems to be one of warning. What we, as Christians, do in this life  has moral significance and eternal consequences - we can't just live as we please for we will have to give an account of how we have lived out our salvation. In many ways it is a similar warning to that given in 1 Cor 3:13-15. 

• Best Answer 1

larry2
On 5/4/2018 at 9:15 AM, Just Mike said:

It’s purpose

2 Cor 5:10  For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

When do we receive the reward?

Rev 22:12    And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Something to fear?

2 Tim 1:7  For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

When does it takes place?

Rev 1:13  And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man. This is Jesus as judge of the Church.

1 Pet 4:17  For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

The verdict

Revelation chapters two & three.

There are letters sent to seven assemblies in different locations of the one body of believers called the Church.

Five are told to repent & only two commended. These represent the condition of Christian spirituality throughout the age, and the reward or Jesus’ ruling made known.

Where do we fit in?

Ephesus – Thou hast left thy first love – Jesus used to take first place in our lives, and there are others.

Two; Philadelphia & Smyrna receive blessings. One stays faithful unto death (Rev 2:10), and the other patiently keeps the word of God. (Rev 3:10) These two assemblies are said to have crowns.

Will we walk as Paul to have God’s best, and win Christ?

Php 3:8  Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.  Now we’re talking reward here. What does Paul mean to win Christ when He is already saved? Is it to be a joint heir, rule as kings and priests with Him, or even be counted in His bride? 

• Best Answer 1

Placable37
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:15 AM, Just Mike said:

Hi Just Mike,

I have some thoughts on these verses and some more verses we can further edify ourselves with on the subject of eternal judgment.

When the believer in Christ appears before His bema to be judged all charges for sin are removed since Christ Himself as the Advocate has already answered for the sins that the Adversary accuses every believer of.

There is presently a paradox whereby to be a perfect Christian in this life we must continually confess our imperfections, and in His role as our Advocate Christ presents our confessions as evidence of our faithfulness to Him, and demands as justice for His sacrificial suffering and death, our pardon with its benefits of imputed righteousness, empowering grace, and promised glory.

All the Adversay can do in the judgement prior to his being cast into the lake of fire, is present our "old man of sin" as if it were still alive and functioning unrestrained. His roaring with charges and accusations for which he insists punishment is still required is entirely a consequence of his malevolent intent to prevent all mankind access to the Kingdom of Heaven by grace through faith in Christ.

The judgment of all those redeemed by the blood of Christ is for works, not sin. Our works are tried to determine their quality, particularly their intention and effectiveness in glorifying God, as below:

1Corinthians 3:10-15
(10)  According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another builds thereon. But let every man take heed how he builds thereupon.
(11)  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
(12)  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
(13)  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
(14)  If any man's work abide which he has built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
(15)  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

• Like 2

atpollard

There are also the parable from Jesus on this subject:

Matthew 25:31-46 NASB

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’
41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

[Note that both the sheep and goats appear before the Judge ... so all can see God's justice ... SIN is punished and FAITH obtains His mercy and grace.]

deade
On 5/15/2018 at 12:53 AM, Placable37 said:

The judgment of all those redeemed by the blood of Christ is for works, not sin. Our works are tried to determine their quality, particularly their intention and effectiveness in glorifying God, as below:

You are so right, when Christ comes back our rewards will be with Him. The church is being judged on a daily basis here and now in the present world.

1 Pet. 4:17 "For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?"

We won't all receive the same reward. Our judgment will be a diminished/increased reward for our works.

Dan. 12:3  "And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever."

53 minutes ago, atpollard said:

[Note that both the sheep and goats appear before the Judge ... so all can see God's justice ... SIN is punished and FAITH obtains His mercy and grace.]

I think this is talking about the judgment after the millennial reign, because that when they will learn they weren't really Christians. That is when He will tell them "Depart from me.. (see Matt. 7:23).

theophilus
16 hours ago, deade said:

I think this is talking about the judgment after the millennial reign, because that when they will learn they weren't really Christians. That is when He will tell them "Depart from me.. (see Matt. 7:23).

This judgment is at the beginning of his millennial reign.  It takes place just after he returns to earth.  The Millennium will begin with a world with only converted people in it.  Those born during this time will start out with the same sinful natures we possess today and they will have to make a decision to repent of their sins and be saved.  The fact that many will follow Satan when he is released at the end of the Millennium shows that many will not do this.

deade
2 hours ago, theophilus said:

The Millennium will begin with a world with only converted people in it. 

If this were true, why would Jesus need a "rod of iron"  to reign them?

Psa. 2:9  Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
Rev. 2:27  And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
Rev. 12:5  And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
Rev. 19:15  And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Pink Question Mark Smiley Face, Emoticon

• Best Answer 1