SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Zuno_Yazh

Easter's Two Sabbaths

Zuno_Yazh

-

†. Luke 23:50-54 . . And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counseller; and he was a good man, and a just: (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.

. . .This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid. And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.

For the benefit of those looking in who may not be familiar with the ancient Jews' religion: the day of preparation is set aside for the Jews to rid their homes of leaven; plus slaughter and roast lambs with fire ready to eat for that night's Passover dinner. (Exodus chapter 12)

The sabbath mentioned in Luke's passage was very special.

†. John 19:31 . .The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

"high" is translated from the koiné Greek word megas (meg'-as) which essentially means big, i.e. great.

Regular sabbaths are neither high, nor, big, nor great days; they're same-o, same-o days; i.e. just routine. There's nothing all that special about a regular sabbath like there is the first day of the feast of unleavened bread because that sabbath's night is the Passover lamb dinner.

†. John 18:28 . .Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.

†. John 19:14 . . And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!

There are more sabbaths in the Bible besides the usual seventh day. For example:

Yom Kippur (Lev 23:32)

Feast of Trumpets (Lev 23:23-25)

Feast of Unleavened Bread; a,k.a. Passover. (Ex 12:16, Lev 23:5-8)

Passover sabbath is interesting. The usual sabbath always falls on the very same day of the week every time. But Passover sabbath floats; hence it can, and it does, occur on any given day of the week; sometimes even coincident with the usual sabbath; for example 2018, and sometimes consecutive with the usual sabbath; for example 2008.

Factoring the Passover sabbath into the chronology of Matt 12:40 in order to obtain a third night is actually fairly easy once you're aware of it. But be forewarned; there are a number of Good Friday's resolute defenders who refuse to allow John's high day to be other than the routine sabbath; and they've concocted some very convincing sophistry to support their view.

It's sometimes objected that whereas Yom Kippur and the Feast of Trumpets are specifically called sabbaths; the first day of the feast of unleavened bread isn't. It's set aside for an holy convocation which just simply means a sacred assembly. But it's also added that no manner of work shall be done on that day; which is exactly what a sabbath is all about (Gen 2:2-3). In reality, the objection is just semantic nit picking.

Anyway; John calls that day a sabbath, which pretty much settles it for me. But it's a sneaky sabbath that usually escapes people's notice so they end up counting only one of the sabbaths related to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. Without that sneaky sabbath, they're pretty much stuck with the Good Friday model; which of course is unworkable.

/

• Like 1

theophilus
Factoring the Passover sabbath into the chronology of Matt 12:40 in order to obtain a third night is actually fairly easy once you're aware of it. But be forewarned; there are a number of Good Friday's resolute defenders who refuse to allow John's high day to be other than the routine sabbath; and they've concocted some very convincing sophistry to support their view.

I've encountered some of this sophistry on this site. I agree completely with you.

reformed baptist

I've encountered some of this sophistry on this site. I agree completely with you.

Is it sophistry to note that John tells us the sabbath was a high day - John 19:31, IE that the the festival sabbath and the weekly sabbath fell on the same day?

Just like I wish Tyndale had translated βάπτισμα as 'dip' or 'immerse' because that would silent so many arguments today, so I am beginning to wish he had also translated παρασκευή as 'Friday' because again it would stop this dispute, and silence such accusations of sophistry!