SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Toni

What About Home Churches?

What About Home Churches?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What About Home Churches?

• Fine for the homebound
    • Not Biblical
    • Where 2 or 3 are gathered in His name
    • If the Gospel, Prayer and Communion take place under an Ordained Minister
    • I really don't know
    • Other-- please explain

Innerfire89

The building doesn't make the church, as long as they are following the biblical model for coming together as a church.

There's a few problem I could think of with home churches though.

One would be, how do outsiders know theres a church there?

Most of the time people have home churches because they don't believe in paying pastors or they don't agree with biblical church discipline.

I have to point out that Matthew 18:20 is about church authority in discipline.

Just like how when an elder is accused of wrong doing, there must be three witnesses before further action is taken. When two or three gather they have the authority of Christ to place people in the office of elder or excomunicate an immoral member.

• Like 1

Toni
The building doesn't make the church

Very true--the people of God are the church with Christ as their head and foundation.

• Like 1

Sue D.

Many years ago there was a family we got to know who home schooled and also wanted to start a home church. We were going to join them , but they lived way out of town -- sort of the middle of no-where. The father was the 'pastor' and had some of his own ideas relating To Scripture.

They were strong KJV which is fine, but they 'swore' by it , so to speak -- which is sort of typical Of 'onliests'. And - no one really knew they were out there in the country. The father Did have a good computer job - and they Did volunteer at a used clothing store in a town rather distant from them.

One of the problems is that a home church can veer away from Scripture -- get off on side-lines and there's no one to correct them. They aren't really a Church because they don't have communion or baptism -- they don't necessarily reach out into any communities.

Apparently the idea is that the early church met in homes of the believers. But That was probably because they were afraid to be known out in the public. The resurrection was Not a popular subject and His followers were not appreciated. The Jewish synogogues were the only places of worship out in public.

Toni
Many years ago there was a family we got to know who home schooled and also wanted to start a home church. We were going to join them , but they lived way out of town -- sort of the middle of no-where. The father was the 'pastor' and had some of his own ideas relating To Scripture.

They were strong KJV which is fine, but they 'swore' by it , so to speak -- which is sort of typical Of 'onliests'. And - no one really knew they were out there in the country. The father Did have a good computer job - and they Did volunteer at a used clothing store in a town rather distant from them.

One of the problems is that a home church can veer away from Scripture -- get off on side-lines and there's no one to correct them. They aren't really a Church because they don't have communion or baptism -- they don't necessarily reach out into any communities.

Apparently the idea is that the early church met in homes of the believers. But That was probably because they were afraid to be known out in the public. The resurrection was Not a popular subject and His followers were not appreciated. The Jewish synogogues were the only places of worship out in public.

Sue said, "They were strong KJV which is fine, but they 'swore' by it , so to speak ".

I have used the KJV myself, but I have also used other reliable versions. I never limit the power of the Holy Spirit to get through to us when we open our minds and hearts to His prompting. How and when He moves is simply amazing..

William
Staff

I voted other because it depends. Is said home church gathering because they are being oppressed/persecuted by national government etc? Or are they gathering because they do not agree with anyone in authority, theology, etc? Are our theological differences so great that we cannot commune together with other denominations? In other words I think home churches are acceptable for the right reasons under certain circumstances, but they are not always desirable. And to note, I am distinguishing between a Bible Study and a Home Church.

I think our enemies would love to push us underground into home churches and remove Christianity from the public square.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Toni
I voted other because it depends. Is said home church gathering because they are being oppressed/persecuted by national government etc? Or are they gathering because they do not agree with anyone in authority, theology, etc? Are our theological differences so great that we cannot commune together with other denominations? In other words I think home churches are acceptable for the right reasons under certain circumstances, but they are not always desirable. And to note, I am distinguishing between a Bible Study and a Home Church.

I think our enemies would love to push us underground into home churches and remove Christianity from the public square.

God bless,

William

You show much wisdom in your response William. There are varied reasons for home churches in this day and age.

Home-bound folks and those under persecution are two that I had in mind. If one decides to hold a home church to avoid scriptural truths, then it will not honor God, nor will it last very long in my humble opinion.

William
Staff

God bless,

William

Thanks Toni, Proverbs 16:2 All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the spirit.

God bless!

theophilus
Is said home church gathering because they are being oppressed/persecuted by national government etc? Or are they gathering because they do not agree with anyone in authority, theology, etc?

There is another legitimate reason for having a home church. When a new church is being formed and they don't yet have the funds for a building there is nothing wrong with starting out meeting in a home.

Sue D.
Is said home church gathering because they are being oppressed/persecuted by national government etc? Or are they gathering because they do not agree with anyone in authority, theology, etc?

There is another legitimate reason for having a home church. When a new church is being formed and they don't yet have the funds for a building there is nothing wrong with starting out meeting in a home.

The church I grew up in started 3 churches in our growing city. There were those in far out areas of town that wanted somewhere closer to their home to worship, Bible studies were started in their homes and the group kept growing. They needed larger facilities and developed another local church group. And that happened in that growing city over the years. That is healthy growth / development.

• Like 1

Sue D.

God bless,

William

And,yes, sometimes our theological difference are that great that we Don't commune with those other denominations. What differences are we willing to 'give up' for the sake of a false sense Of unity.

Some countries Do have 'underground' churches because they persecute Christians. They operate via 'word of mouth'.

William
Staff

God bless,

William

To be quite blunt, Sue, I don't believe you have a handle on denominational differences. You should read: https://www.christforums.org/forum/christian-community/apologetics-and-theology/60427-1-corinthians-11-18-19-there-must-be-factions-among-us When congregations or groups stop communing with the catholic church they are no longer a denomination (sometimes excommunicated) but rather Apostate or a Cult.

Sue D.

God bless,

William

@ William -- okay -- let's say there's a church -- a Baptist church which does not believe that tongues are in use any more. And , say that there a few people who've moved into the area for work or whatever -- they like the Baptist church, but they have no problem with tongues. The pastor sees that there is contention developing within the church over that subject. Does he simply let it go? Or does he preach some sermons On tongues? Does he wait and see how the tongues people respond to it? Does he get with the new tongues people Privately and share his concerns over the tongues situation that is developing.

Isn't that part of the reason that there Are many churches? To avoid having discention amongst the brethren. At times we Can 'agree to disagree' and at times people chose to Not do that. Their point of view is important enough To them to look around for a group that Does agree with them.

And, actually I Do have a good handle on denominational differences. And, to be equally blunt, you and I would not end up in the same church congregation. We have some theological differences which is a good reason for there to Be two different churches available for each of us.

Just Mike

My wife and with our four children lived about 25 miles from Buckeye, AZ, in 1974. There was no church in Rainbow Valley. Several times our "wash out bridge" was washed out, due to unusual rains. This happended several years in a row, My wife and a couple other families gathered and talked about starting a home church and see if there was enough interest to start a church. We first worshiped in a few different homes for six months, and the number of people coming grew to more that thirty and then more. A few of us men took turns preaching. We had a small Sunday school that grew quickly.

In less than a year the group voted to be associated with the Conservative Baptist Denomination. The people rented a home on a corner that needed a lot of repair and the owner allowed us to remolded parts of the house to make a central meeting room. After a while we called a part-time pastor. After two years or so we purchased a lot cash and we leased a double wide trailer from the Conservative Baptist, until we could build a church. \\As Paul Harvey used to say "the rest of the story" was we became a real church.

I went to college and ten on to seminary and ten years later I became that churches last pastor. The Church was eventually forced to close because Maricopa County, AZ demanded the church pave its dirt parking lot. The road was dirt, but the county forced us to pave it or shut down. I was interviewed on on national radio and people could not believe the county could do this. Because the cost was more that what the church took in offerings for four years, The two deacons and I were either going to face possible jail or the church had to pave the parking lot of close. The church closed.

Was a home church worth while? Yes a hundred times yes. I would say make sure you are looking for a church to sponsor you, or become associated with a denomination. Small home churches can be a way for a few people dissatisfied with some pastor or church, and start a church where there is no accountability, or someone overseeing it. Unless the people and the pastor are under some kind of watch care it can become ingrone and a single family home church. Avoid this at all costs, as this si not a Biblical Church.

• Like 2

Sue D.
My wife and with our four children lived about 25 miles from Buckeye, AZ, in 1974. There was no church in Rainbow Valley. Several times our "wash out bridge" was washed out, due to unusual rains. This happended several years in a row, My wife and a couple other families gathered and talked about starting a home church and see if there was enough interest to start a church. We first worshiped in a few different homes for six months, and the number of people coming grew to more that thirty and then more. A few of us men took turns preaching. We had a small Sunday school that grew quickly.

In less than a year the group voted to be associated with the Conservative Baptist Denomination. The people rented a home on a corner that needed a lot of repair and the owner allowed us to remolded parts of the house to make a central meeting room. After a while we called a part-time pastor. After two years or so we purchased a lot cash and we leased a double wide trailer from the Conservative Baptist, until we could build a church. \\As Paul Harvey used to say "the rest of the story" was we became a real church.

I went to college and ten on to seminary and ten years later I became that churches last pastor. The Church was eventually forced to close because Maricopa County, AZ demanded the church pave its dirt parking lot. The road was dirt, but the county forced us to pave it or shut down. I was interviewed on on national radio and people could not believe the county could do this. Because the cost was more that what the church took in offerings for four years, The two deacons and I were either going to face possible jail or the church had to pave the parking lot of close. The church closed.

Was a home church worth while? Yes a hundred times yes. I would say make sure you are looking for a church to sponsor you, or become associated with a denomination. Small home churches can be a way for a few people dissatisfied with some pastor or church, and start a church where there is no accountability, or someone overseeing it. Unless the people and the pastor are under some kind of watch care it can become ingrone and a single family home church. Avoid this at all costs, as this si not a Biblical Church.

Your post is very interesting -- your family experienced a need and worked on solving it in a positive way. You were Not isolating yourselves -- your numbers Grew and you became identified with a particular group.

Sounds like your church was making a Positive influence in your county and the powers that 'be' didn't like it. Those people Will answer to God for causing your group to shut it's doors. But you ministered to the people as long as you could.

There Are those who would say 'you should have stood your ground and gone to jail if necessary' -- sounds like either way -- you'd have gone down /out financially. And that would Not have been good for your family or the community.

thanks for sharing.

Everyone needs accountability.