SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Toni

The Church I grew up in as a kid

The Church I grew up in as a kid  

5 members have voted

1. 1. The Church I grew up in as a kid

• is still my church
    • is no longer my church
    • is torn down
    • is reformed

Becky

As preachers kid i literally grew up in church. We actually lived in a couple :)

Toni
As preachers kid i literally grew up in church. We actually lived in a couple :)

Was there ever a time when you got uncomfortable being the preachers kid? Did you feel like you had to be a perfectionist?

Becky

LOL me ? i was the PK the jokes were made about... My older sister was the perfect kid... I took being a PK as a challenge .. You cant do XYZ your dads the preacher ...you wanna bet i cant.. ..Life was pretty simple in the 50s By the standards of today or lack there of i was not such a bad kid..

I would not trade my upbringing for anything as i look back ..

Toni
LOL me ? i was the PK the jokes were made about... My older sister was the perfect kid... I took being a PK as a challenge .. You cant do XYZ your dads the preacher ...you wanna bet i cant.. ..Life was pretty simple in the 50s By the standards of today or lack there of i was not such a bad kid..

I would not trade my upbringing for anything as i look back ..

Becky said.. "You cant do XYZ your dads the preacher ...you wanna bet i cant.."

ROFLOL...that reminds me of my twin sister...always up for a challenge!! I was totally the opposite--still am!

• Like 1

Innerfire89

I grew up in a big Presbyterian church in Florida, with all the hurrianes they've had Im not sure if it's still there, my aunt would also bring me to her church at night services, they were extreme carismatics. Then I'm my teens my mother took me to a mega church, it didn't last too though, we never even meet the pastor and every service all they talked about was what the church was doing.

Toni
I grew up in a big Presbyterian church in Florida, with all the hurrianes they've had Im not sure if it's still there, my aunt would also bring me to her church at night services, they were extreme carismatics. Then I'm my teens my mother took me to a mega church, it didn't last too though, we never even meet the pastor and every service all they talked about was what the church was doing.

You might try "google" and see if that church survived the hurricanes.

• Like 1

Sue D.

I grew up in a conservative Baptist church in Iowa. Since then I've moved many times, but I've stayed that denomination. But in south Texas. The area of town that the church was built in Had been a good part of town, it gradually went down hill so it was decided to buy property in a better area of town. That new church is still standing. The pastor I grew up under, passed away a couple of years ago. He'd lived to be a very elderly man.

My husband and I had been a pastor of a small church in northern Minn. They didn't have a church parsonage, so we built our own home. We'd moved into a mobile home park and rented a mobile home. Then the park was sold and the trailor went with the park. The house wasn't finished, so we got permission to move into the downstairs classroom area. One of the classrooms became our 'home' for a while. We had two small children at that time. The kitchen in the fellowship hall was ours for a while. It was an interesting experience. Everyone was very thankful when our new house was finished. The people were wonderful to us -- we were their 1st full-time pastor.

• Like 1

Toni
I grew up in a conservative Baptist church in Iowa. Since then I've moved many times, but I've stayed that denomination. But in south Texas. The area of town that the church was built in Had been a good part of town, it gradually went down hill so it was decided to buy property in a better area of town. That new church is still standing. The pastor I grew up under, passed away a couple of years ago. He'd lived to be a very elderly man.

My husband and I had been a pastor of a small church in northern Minn. They didn't have a church parsonage, so we built our own home. We'd moved into a mobile home park and rented a mobile home. Then the park was sold and the trailor went with the park. The house wasn't finished, so we got permission to move into the downstairs classroom area. One of the classrooms became our 'home' for a while. We had two small children at that time. The kitchen in the fellowship hall was ours for a while. It was an interesting experience. Everyone was very thankful when our new house was finished. The people were wonderful to us -- we were their 1st full-time pastor.

Wow--you sure had your share of hunting for a permanent home. It is bad enough for 2 adults to try and get settled in, let alone with 2 children. Minnesota is cold and Texas very warm. Are you happily settled in Texas now?

Sue D.

My husband was stationed in Abilene many decades ago while in the Air Force. He loved it.

I , on the other hand, had only heard about the wind/ sand storms and heat in Texas. Had No desire to ever live down here. Learned to never say "never". You'll end up spending your next 30 years 'there'.

I was born in northern Wisconsin and got moved to central Iowa when in early grade-school. The four seasons were a way of life. Winter was cold and snowy and long. We lived 9 blocks from school and we walked. No busses then. Kids Did ride their bikes once in a while. School lunches were allowed for kids living past a certain point. We brought our own and paid 10 cents or so for a pint of milk.

Yes, Minn is Cold -- the week our younger daughter was born -- our last child -- we were having a cold spell -- it was minus 40 below zero. Actual temp -- not with windchill. That was January. I jokingly asked if we could stay inside that warm hospital until Spring. Just got a wierd look. Ya just learn to bundle up.

Texas is bad -- we work with 'fronts' coming and going. Some winters are so mild, they don't feel like winter. A person can be outside hanging clothes on the line in December 'one year' and be in a cold snap the next year. Summer is the only real 'season'.

My husband is happily settled here.

He Did find out that the Texas he'd left those decades ago, was different. The base he'd been at no longer existed. Abilene had changed a Lot.

I'd like to be back up north -- Iowa or so -- much closer to family. My husbands family.

My one sister and that family are in Central Michigan -- my one brother is in Puerto Rico -- used to live on the beach of San Juan. And I'm 'here'. (inside my computer --temp is always the same).

Just Mike

The First Baptist Church where I grew up in was started in the nineteen thirties. The Chapel Car Grace was pulled over on a side track and started holding services. After a while enough people bought land and built a church, that is the church I grew up in. Chapel car Grace has been restored and is today at Green Lake Wisconsin, American Baptist Church camp. I have gone to Green lake many times as and adult.

Her is "the rest or the story" I found out about my church and its beginnings a long time after I was a senior adult living in Missouri. This made my Spiritual journey so much more meaningful and blessed. Praise God.

• Like 2