SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
davidtaylorjr

How Should We Baptise? In the name of Jesus Christ or Father, Son, Spirit?

davidtaylorjr

Another forum I am a part of had the following posted:

Jesus told the disciples; “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,” (Matthew 28:19) (NET)

“Peter said to them, “Repent, and each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38) (NET)

Every account of baptism in Acts shows the disciples baptizing believers in the name of Jesus Christ, and not in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as preferred today.

How do you resolve this with Matthew 28:19?

I received baptism by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ as a trinitarian. And I believe this method identifies Jesus as God, as stated in the classic trinitarian model.

What are everyone's thoughts?

• Like 2

William
Staff

• Act 2:33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.
  • Act 2:34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, "'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit at my right hand,
  • Act 2:35 until I make your enemies your footstool."'
  • Act 2:36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."
  • Act 2:37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"
  • Act 2:38 And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
  • Act 2:39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself."

I think we first need to acknowledge the audience Peter was speaking. He was speaking specifically to Jews "whom you crucified" Jesus. They were pricked at heart, and asked of Peter "what shall we do?" Peter said to them be baptized everyone of of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Now there was an allusion made in Acts 2:34 to Psalm 110:1-7

• Psalm 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool."
  • Psalm 110:2 The LORD sends forth from Zion your mighty scepter. Rule in the midst of your enemies!
  • Psalm 110:3 Your people will offer themselves freely on the day of your power, in holy garments; from the womb of the morning, the dew of your youth will be yours.
  • Psalm 110:4 The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind, "You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek."
  • Psalm 110:5 The Lord is at your right hand; he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.
  • Psalm 110:6 He will execute judgment among the nations, filling them with corpses; he will shatter chiefs over the wide earth.
  • Psalm 110:7 He will drink from the brook by the way; therefore he will lift up his head.

Peter is pointing to the Psalmist and prophets which declared whoever called on the Lord's name should be saved for He is the Christ for whom Israel looked. Peter says to the Jews repent and be baptized, obedience results in making them disciples of the one they crucified.

I think there is a narrow scope in which baptizing these particular Jews was made, and another wider scope which pertains to the catholic church. Needlessly said, Acts 2:33-35 is Trinitarian, and the name of these Jews were to be baptized (Jesus) commanded that we baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

davidtaylorjr

• Act 2:33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.
  • Act 2:34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, "'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit at my right hand,
  • Act 2:36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."
  • Act 2:37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"
  • Act 2:38 And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
  • Act 2:39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself."

I think we first need to acknowledge the audience Peter was speaking. He was speaking specifically to Jews "whom you crucified" Jesus. They were pricked at heart, and asked of Peter "what shall we do?" Peter said to them be baptized everyone of of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Now there was an allusion made in Acts 2:34 to Psalm 110:1-7

• Psalm 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool."
  • Psalm 110:2 The LORD sends forth from Zion your mighty scepter. Rule in the midst of your enemies!
  • Psalm 110:3 Your people will offer themselves freely on the day of your power, in holy garments; from the womb of the morning, the dew of your youth will be yours.
  • Psalm 110:4 The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind, "You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek."
  • Psalm 110:5 The Lord is at your right hand; he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.
  • Psalm 110:6 He will execute judgment among the nations, filling them with corpses; he will shatter chiefs over the wide earth.
  • Psalm 110:7 He will drink from the brook by the way; therefore he will lift up his head.

Peter is pointing to the Psalmist and prophets which declared whoever called on the Lord's name should be saved for He is the Christ for whom Israel looked. Peter says to the Jews repent and be baptized, obedience results in making them disciples of the one they crucified.

I think there is a narrow scope in which baptizing these particular Jews was made, and another wider scope which pertains to the catholic church. Needlessly said, Acts 2:33-35 is Trinitarian, and the name of these Jews were to be baptized (Jesus) commanded that we baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19.

God bless,

William

I think the poster in the other forum is trying to determine what you are supposed to say when baptizing someone. My argument to him was that either method was correct. Another person chimed in (he doesn't believe in the Trinity) and stated that the Matthew passage was changed after Nicea to accommodate Trinitarian doctrine. I rebuffed that putting in direct quotes from Ignatius that had the Matthew quote as we have it today and that was no later than 117 A.D.

William
Staff

God bless,

William

You're more generous than me :) I'd just point them to the WCF which states: II. The outward element to be used in this sacrament is water, wherewith the party is to be baptized, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, by a minister of the Gospel, lawfully called thereunto.[9]

[9] MAT 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire. JOH 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. MAT 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

davidtaylorjr

God bless,

William

I actually disagree with the WCF on this. I don't think that there is Scriptural backing that baptism must be done by a lawful minister of the Gospel.

What name is given to us for salvation?

So if by that name you are saved them we are to be identified (baptized) into it...

Also scripture says into the 'name' (singular) of the Father Son & Holy Ghost - not 'names'.

Father is not a name - that is what He is...

• Like 1

William
Staff

God bless,

William

I actually disagree with the WCF on this. I don't think that there is Scriptural backing that baptism must be done by a lawful minister of the Gospel.

In the NT had any one person which did not hold an office baptize?

davidtaylorjr

God bless,

William

William, no disrespect but that argument is a fallacy that assumes we have every NT Era baptism recorded, we do not.

davidtaylorjr

So if by that name you are saved them we are to be identified (baptized) into it...

Also scripture says into the 'name' (singular) of the Father Son & Holy Ghost - not 'names'.

Fair point, however, police say "Stop in the name of the law" Obviously the law is not a name either.

William
Staff

God bless,

William

Is it a fallacy to limit ourselves only to the revealed will of God? If not, perhaps I am not understanding you. And no disrespect taken :)

davidtaylorjr

God bless,

William

You and I probably disagree on what the term "revealed will of God" means. I don't see how it is the revealed will of God that only ordained lawful ministers perform a baptism.

• Like 1

Correct that law is not a name but it does have a meaning by which causes you to stop.

That meaning is inherent in the term "Law" just as the way of salvation (Jesus Christ) is in the Father Son & Holy Ghost.

davidtaylorjr
Correct that law is not a name but it does have a meaning by which causes you to stop.

That meaning is inherent in the term "Law" just as the way of salvation (Jesus Christ) is in the Father Son & Holy Ghost.

I guess my point is this, that means you could argue that both are correct:

I baptize you in the name of Christ Jesus;

I baptize you in the name [authority] of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. (emphasis mine)

They carry the same meaning.

Alright but...

Man fell in the garden by being one word off how are we going back with hit and miss thinking?

Another example - when God told Moses to take off his shoes Moses had to do it just that way or God would have let him sit right there...

davidtaylorjr
Alright but...

Man fell in the garden by being one word off how are we going back with hit and miss thinking?

Another example - when God told Moses to take off his shoes Moses had to do it just that way or God would have let him sit right there...

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here....

God bless you Dave

I believe I was getting off track from your initial post.

• Like 1

davidtaylorjr
God bless you Dave

I believe I was getting off track from your initial post.

No worries

David Lee
I guess my point is this, that means you could argue that both are correct:

I baptize you in the name of Christ Jesus;

I baptize you in the name [authority] of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. (emphasis mine)

They carry the same meaning.

For what it's worth, here's what the Didache has to say about the practice of baptism. I believe it is our oldest surviving Christian catechism/theology. It gives us a look at the faith and practice of the early church, as most scholars claim that it was written in the 1st Century. Here is Section VII on baptism:

Concerning baptism, baptise thus: Having first rehearsed all these things, "baptise, in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost," in running water;

But if thou hast no running water, baptise in other water, and if thou canst not in cold, then in warm.

But if thou hast neither, pour water three times on the head "in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost."

And before the baptism let the baptiser and him who is to be baptised fast, and any others who are able. And thou shalt bid him who is to be baptised to fast one or two days before.

Yours and His,

David

http://www.thedidache.com/

• Like 1

StrijderVanTeAtua

Firstly his name was Jeshua not Jesus. Commonly you would not appreciate it if you sacrificed yourself on behalf of a past ,present and now future generation mankind who can't even bother to get your name right. This being said for asurity I use the words ...In the name of the father..creator of all,and his only begotten whom sacrificed his life for me,and of the great holy spirit whom I must never deny.

davidtaylorjr
Firstly his name was Jeshua not Jesus. Commonly you would not appreciate it if you sacrificed yourself on behalf of a past ,present and now future generation mankind who can't even bother to get your name right. This being said for asurity I use the words ...In the name of the father..creator of all,and his only begotten whom sacrificed his life for me,and of the great holy spirit whom I must never deny.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Yeshua-Jesus.html

Sue D.

In Matthew 28:19-20 "....baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit...." Those are Jesus Christ's instructions to his disciples.

davidtaylorjr
In Matthew 28:19-20 "....baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit...." Those are Jesus Christ's instructions to his disciples.

I agree, but why then did the Disciples do it differently as recorded in the book of Acts?

islandrazor

The KJV translates Strong's G3686 in the following manner: name (193x), named (28x), called (4x), surname (with G2007) (2x), named (with G2564) (1x), not translated (1x).

name: univ. of proper names

the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.

Sue D.

I agree, but why then did the Disciples do it differently as recorded in the book of Acts?

How were they doing it differently in Acts?

reformed baptist

Jesus told the disciples; “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,” (Matthew 28:19) (NET)

“Peter said to them, “Repent, and each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38) (NET)

Every account of baptism in Acts shows the disciples baptizing believers in the name of Jesus Christ, and not in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as preferred today.

How do you resolve this with Matthew 28:19?

I received baptism by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ as a trinitarian. And I believe this method identifies Jesus as God, as stated in the classic trinitarian model.

Sorry, I'm coming to this party a little late - i just want to pick up on this statement:

Two things to note:

1) We do not draw our theology from one book of the bible - but from the whole of scripture - in that didactic teaching takes precedence over historic account, that is to say we understand the history in the light of the didactic.

2) The claim is a fallacy - acts 9:18 speaks of the baptism of Paul and doesn't mention what words were spoken at his baptism. Consider also Acts 8:12; 38 etc. There are plenty of examples of baptism recorded where the scriptures are silent in regards to whose name the person was baptised under.

Now, my personal view is that what the person being baptized believes is what matters, much more then what is said by the 'minister' and yes, what the person believes is more important then the mode as well (though I believe immersion to be the correct and best mode) - however arguments like this are plain bad in my book and easily refuted :RpS_thumbup:

• Like 1