SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
William

The Purpose of Marriage?

William
Staff

• Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

I can see three points made here about marriage.

1. To leave our parents
  2. To hold fast to our spouse
  3. To become one flesh

Now for the difficult part. Exactly what does those three points mean?

Lemme begin with point 1. To leave our parents doesn't necessarily mean we abandon them. I think it means we mature in our relationship with them into adulthood. We are not so concerned about their ideas, opinions etc as we are about our spouse's. It also means that we rely less on them for affections and more on our spouse. The same can be said about approval, assistance, and/or council.

I think point 1 is rather important to understand, because though we may physically leave our parents and relocate geographically, we may not actually leave them in the above senses.

Your thoughts?

God bless,

William

• Like 4

Just Mike

William, Marriage also is for us not to be alone. Its rather basic as Adam need a help mate, so do most of us.

• Like 4

William
Staff
William, Marriage also is for us not to be alone. Its rather basic as Adam need a help mate, so do most of us.

Isn't that interesting? That is how not all of us need a help meet or companionship to the degree where we need leave singleness?

And alone, there are now 7 billion people on the face of the earth, yet how is that we feel alone?

Rather striking I think. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but there is only one statement about marriage that God repeats multiple times in the Bible:

• Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
  • Matthew 19:5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?
  • Mark 10:7-8 ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife,8 and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh.
  • Ephesians 5:31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”

How would we define Help meet?

Yours or anyone else thoughts?

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Fastfredy0

I thought the purpose of marriage was to suffer ...

Romans 5:3 we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, ...

(just kidding ... :RpS_flapper: )

• Like 3

Innerfire89

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Marriage is the adult equivalent of the relationship a child has with their parents, sort of, or a next step

• Like 1

Innerfire89

Isn't that interesting? That is how not all of us need a help meet or companionship to the degree where we need leave singleness?

And alone, there are now 7 billion people on the face of the earth, yet how is that we feel alone?

Rather striking I think. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but there is only one statement about marriage that God repeats multiple times in the Bible:

• Matthew 19:5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?
  • Mark 10:7-8 ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife,8 and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh.
  • Ephesians 5:31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”

God bless,

William

1 Timothy 5:14 I will that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.

In my opinion this verse shows some of the propose of marriage and what it could mean to be a help meet.

• Like 1

Sue D.

Romans 5:3 we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, ...

Maybe men suffer because they don't listen to their wives (just kidding, also -- I think :) )

• Like 2

deade

Well, the Bible tells us that the man is the spiritual leader; and the woman is subject to the man's interpretation of God's word. What this tells me is that the if the woman and man have different opinions, about how to do the word, she should yield to his. God will not hold her accountable if it's slightly off.

That said: my second wife and I decided things together. Very seldom was any yielding necessary. Because I loved her very much and her opinions meant a great deal to me. I don't think wives can be subjective unless real love were involved. A woman has a hard time following someone self-centered and unable to really love. By real love, I mean the lay your life down type of love. If I were a woman, I would trust a man to give his life to spare me. Such a loved wife would give her best input and have no trouble accepting her God given role. She would be truly, a help meet.

7055.gif.42d26d09e71035fc6adb5e8b40114c17.gif

bcdf407fda0e6369f268833aa88124b9.jpg

• Like 1

Sue D.

Aren't parents supposed to be raising kids so they Will be wanting to leave their home nest and live independently? Kids Should be being taught starting at a young age to pick up their toys, etc. taught how to clean their room and then the house -- daily -- weekly chores.

Being a help-meet -- God put into a person the desire to 'mate'/ have children. And back years ago -- farming was the livihood. Women learned at a young age, how to cook, do gardening, etc. If a person didn't make it or grow it, they didn't Have it.

A help-meet = to help meet the needs of another person. Re: marriage -- to help meet the needs of the spouse. But one person can't meet every need of another person. People don't stop growing when they get married.

One of the needs would be of companionship. Taking time for the other person Because we Want to. A married couple Should feel emotionally secure with each other. That they can talk about anything / Everything.

Has Society gotten so far away from God's Word that 'we' don't know what marriage is meant to be about? In fact -- how many couples actually Get married. How many know what commitment really means? Then again -- If people Don't make marriage vows to each other, they aren't responsible To stay around in the midst of the 'worse' or the 'sickness'.

What does 'one flesh' mean? In the physical sense, it means comsumating the marriage with sex. But being 'one flesh' could Also include spiritual , emotional intimacy. Because it's those aspect that help make sex so much More. Otherwise it Could end up being a male and female body that interact and it has No real meaning.

• Like 3

Sue D.
Well, the Bible tells us that the man is the spiritual leader; and the woman is subject to the man's interpretation of God's word. What this tells me is that the if the woman and man have different opinions, about how to do the word, she should yield to his. God will not hold her accountable if it's slightly off.

That said: my second wife and I decided things together. Very seldom was any yielding necessary. Because I loved her very much and her opinions meant a great deal to me. I don't think wives can be subjective unless real love were involved. A woman has a hard time following someone self-centered and unable to really love. By real love, I mean the lay your life down type of love. If I were a woman, I would trust a man to give his life to spare me. Such a loved wife would give her best input and have no trouble accepting her God given role. She would be truly, a help meet.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"7055.gif","data-attachmentid":67965}[/ATTACH]

Hopefully there will have been good communication Before the marriage -- that they will both be growing spiritually. Appreciating their individual spiritual gifts and using them in their local church.

My husband is the financial brains of our family. And we literally planned and built our home together.

And, yes, a woman who knows she's really loved will have no problem submitting to her husband -- it will come naturally.

• Like 1

Just Mike

Not so funny Fred. We share in each others sufferings, that is so much better than alone, hey.

• Like 1

Just Mike

God bless,

William

William, its not so evident when we are young in marriage. But when we are older we rely on each other to help the other, quite literally in suffering, illness, and just being together and not alone. Loneliness is a serious problem with us elderly people.

Fastfredy0

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"7055.gif","data-attachmentid":67965}[/ATTACH]

The practical application of this directive is problematic. For example: Hubby is a JW and does not believe Jesus is God. Thus the wife should yield to the husband’s interpretation.

God will not hold her accountable if it's slightly off.

So God can overlook certain interpretation's that is sinful. I.E. OK to be a homosexual if your hubby's interpretation thinks so.

deade

No, no, Fastfredy a gay partner is more than slightly off. The key word was slightly. Any sinful actions worthy of death would end the show. Also note: I said with the proper love all the major issues would resolve themselves.

• Like 1

Fastfredy0

@decade ... so the woman should yield to the husband biblical interpretation only if he is slightly wrong? How does a wife know what concepts are defined as "Slightly wrong" (perhaps the husband will define what is "slightly wrong" and the wife will hope the husband's "slightly wrong" list is not "slightly wrong"?)

Sue D.

@ FF -- Godly marriage -- Christian marriage -- not to be unequally yoked together. A believer with another believer.

There was a situation where the couple had been a non-believer with a J.W. -- he went to a funeral at a Baptist church. Heard the Gospel -- stayed after to talk with the pastor and accepted Christ. He went back home to his JW wife and she wasn't impressed. He continued to be a loving husband but with Christ this time. She'd been a Strong JW and I'm thinking that her family was. She might have left him. She wasn't about to yield to his spiritual leadership.

The practical application would be -- as adults -- only become involved with those of like faith. Christ as personal Savior and worshiping together. Or at least the same denomination. If the husband's or wife's job has them away on weekends -- be at compatable Baptist churches -- (I'm thinking in terms of being Baptist).

A minor - under 18 -- would be under the guidance / authority of the parents.

Sue D.

God bless,

William

William, its not so evident when we are young in marriage. But when we are older we rely on each other to help the other, quite literally in suffering, illness, and just being together and not alone. Loneliness is a serious problem with us elderly people.

Speaking from personal experience -- a person can be in a room full of people and feel lonely. Or with just one or two other people and feel warm, accepted, wanted. Not a bit lonely.

Or standing at the other end of a room and feel closeness to the other person Or when standing next to the person, feel coldness.

• Like 1

Sue D.

@decade -- hopefully the husband realizes that his wife has brains and is not totally reliant on his reading Scripture to her and explaining everything to her. Hopefully when they read together -- they will share thoughts and insites. And this should have been established Before marriage.

The problem in one of the New Testament churches is that the women would have a question and disrupt the service to ask it. So -- be quiet during the service and ask questions After words.

In some religious groups -- young people are put together by the parents -- but, then, again, they would all have the same beliefs.

deade

Yes Sue D, I agree completely. I will go you one further: In the home, the Godly wife might be the one dictating the doctrine. She may be more intelligent than her husband and blessed with interpretations.

Nobody outside the immediate family will know it, if she is truly Godly: Her husband will always get the credit for steering the family. They will be seen as a unit.

The children should always default to the parents until they are of age.

Edited by deade
add
  • Like 2

Becky

The Scriptures tell us of God's lines of authority in the home and Church..

Seems it is up to the couple to work that out. ... In some circles HE the bread winner is to take care of finances I ask what if SHE is a CPA?

I sure like this quote... I see a godly woman in it

Yes Sue D, I agree completely. I will go you one further: In the home, the Godly wife might be the one dictating the doctrine. She may be more intelligent than her husband and blessed with interpretations.

Nobody outside the immediate family will know it, if she is truly Godly: Her husband will always get the credit for steering the family. They will be seen as a unit.

Last edited by deade; 03-29-2018, 08:18 AM. Reason: add

• Like 2

William
Staff

I can see three points made here about marriage.

1. To leave our parents
  2. To hold fast to our spouse
  3. To become one flesh

Now for the difficult part. Exactly what does those three points mean?

Okay, covered what it means to leave our parents. Now moving on to point 2. What does it mean to "hold fast" or cleave to our spouse?

What it doesn't mean is to vow to be faithful until death but under our breath add, "unless our problems are too great". I believe God planned marriage to be a permanent relationship, and not a matter of chance but deliberate choice, not for convenience but obedience.

Marriage is based more on commitment than feeling or animal attraction.

• Malachi 2:14 But you say, “Why does he not?” Because the Lord was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant.
  • Proverbs 2:17 who forsakes the companion of her youth and forgets the covenant of her God;

Two people promise they'll be faithful to each other regardless of what happens.Marriage means that both man and woman enter into a relationship for which they accept full responsibility and in which they commit themselves to each other regardless of what problems arise.

Your thoughts?

God bless,

William

William
Staff
1 Timothy 5:14 I will that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.

In my opinion this verse shows some of the propose of marriage and what it could mean to be a help meet.

If I may, I believe "help meet" means to help our spouse achieve their divine commission.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

William
Staff
Seems it is up to the couple to work that out. ... In some circles HE the bread winner is to take care of finances I ask what if SHE is a CPA?

I think Proverbs 31 portrays a woman, correction, a virtuous woman as one that supports her husband's divine comission. She seemingly is the bread winner of the family, and she's definitely a help meet.

• Proverbs 31:23 Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land.

She seems to do just about everything, from financial investments to rearing children. She is definitely advancing her husband's interests or influence in the public.

God bless,

William

• Like 3

Becky

A woman who is beaten down physically or emotionally could not achieve Pro 31

• Like 2

Sue D.
The Scriptures tell us of God's lines of authority in the home and Church..

I sure like this quote... I see a godly woman in it

Last edited by deade; 03-29-2018, 08:18 AM. Reason: add

A wife doesn't have to be a CPA in order to handle family finances. But I get what you mean. Maybe the CPA wife is so tired of working on everyone else's finances that she gets home and doesn't want to "look at another check book" - so to speak. So - hubby -- You do it.

"They will be seen as a unit" -- I like that.

Also - I suspect that if 10 people were asked their definition of marriage and how it works -- you'd get that many different responses.

Isn't marriage one of those "mysteries". Sometimes 'chemistry' brings people together -- you'd ask either one of them what it is about the other person that attracts them to each other. They might not really know what it Is except that it's 'there'. They meet and 'the rest is history' so to speak. It's been said that the eyes are the window to the soul.

• Like 1