SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

Why is evangelism so difficult?

Just Mike

I often hear and read that EVANGELISM is difficult, or its not my gift. So what's so hard about sharing your faith? For me asking family members about their relationship with Jesus Christ is not difficult, the same is true for strangers, if I am able to start up a conversation. I don't consider that evangelism is my spiritual gift, but I have the gift of gab.

Talking about Jesus is not something I bring up right out of the box, I have to feel the Holy Spirits leading.

Sometimes I just start by a "hello" what a cute baby, how old is it? and if a door opens I see if I can get a response. sometimes I get a hi, or just a head bob. But I usually get some kind aknowledgement.

So what do you think?

• Like 1

GaoLu

To date, I have never had a single person, of any religion or none who wasn't warmly agreeable for me to pray for them.

• Like 3

ConfessionalLutheran

I think evangelism is so difficult in today's world because faith just isn't something many people feel comfortable talking about in public. I very rarely speak to random strangers spontaneously anyway, much less will I proclaim the Gospel to them. Of course, once I strike up a rapport with somebody, religious discussion usually follows rather quickly. Some will welcome it and others won't. The secret is to gage their reaction once the topic gets broached. If it's mild, a neutral attitude is probably present, but if there's a negative tension, I'd back down. If there's a positive air, then let the conversations commence!

• Like 4

Just Mike
I think evangelism is so difficult in today's world because faith just isn't something many people feel comfortable talking about in public. I very rarely speak to random strangers spontaneously anyway, much less will I proclaim the Gospel to them. Of course, once I strike up a rapport with somebody, religious discussion usually follows rather quickly. Some will welcome it and others won't. The secret is to gage their reaction once the topic gets broached. If it's mild, a neutral attitude is probably present, but if there's a negative tension, I'd back down. If there's a positive air, then let the conversations commence!

I think its all upon the Holy Spirits leading. Some plow the ground, some put fertilizer on it, some plow, plant, some water, some tend it, some harvest the crop. God is in control of it all.

• Like 4

William
Staff
I often hear and read that EVANGELISM is difficult, or its not my gift. So what's so hard about sharing your faith?

I think in American culture people want to see results, and they want it now. They want to see the fruits of their labor. I can only imagine how difficult OT Prophets had it when the fruits of their labor was never witnessed by them but rather some time well in the future.

And nothing is difficult about sharing faith, we can share it with a wall etc. And that's my point, we do not know whether the ground or heart has been conditioned by the Holy Spirit. We hope that the seed takes root, or even that we come across one that has planted before us and we see the growth provided by God and notice the time of harvest. It is encouragement to see it happening. Perhaps that encouragement is what drives some congregations to the "altar call" or sinner's prayer".

• 1 Corinthians 3:6-7 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.

I think to those that contend for a piece of God's glory true evangelism can be rather difficult. I think earthly agendas like making one's mark or legacy can have a bearing on evangelism. The church of Corinth had many problems, among them were those that were contending to be the best water boy.

• 1 Corinthians 10:4 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

We're not supposed to be in this for private gain. We're talking about the eternal life of our loved ones. Though we can come up with various reasons for evangelism, I'm most motivated by the notion of hellfire. It gives me a sense of urgency to reach those that I love. But I realize, this hasn't anything to do with me though God may use me as the ordinary means to bring the Gospel to others. I'm just a waiter (water boy) serving glasses of water. Isn't it ridiculous to think of waiters being contentious with one another over the lowly position of water boy?

God bless,

William

• Like 3

Just Mike
I often hear and read that EVANGELISM is difficult, or its not my gift. So what's so hard about sharing your faith?

I think in American culture people want to see results, and they want it now. They want to see the fruits of their labor. I can only imagine how difficult OT Prophets had it when the fruits of their labor was never witnessed by them but rather some time well in the future.

And nothing is difficult about sharing faith, we can share it with a wall etc. And that's my point, we do not know whether the ground or heart has been conditioned by the Holy Spirit. We hope that the seed takes root, or even that we come across one that has planted before us and we see the growth provided by God and notice the time of harvest. It is encouragement to see it happening. Perhaps that encouragement is what drives some congregations to the "altar call" or sinner's prayer".

• 1 Corinthians 3:6-7 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.

I think to those that contend for a piece of God's glory true evangelism can be rather difficult. I think earthly agendas like making one's mark or legacy can have a bearing on evangelism. The church of Corinth had many problems, among them were those that were contending to be the best water boy.

• 1 Corinthians 10:4 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

We're not supposed to be in this for private gain. We're talking about the eternal life of our loved ones. Though we can come up with various reasons for evangelism, I'm most motivated by the notion of hellfire. It gives me a sense of urgency to reach those that I love. But I realize, this hasn't anything to do with me though God may use me as the ordinary means to bring the Gospel to others. I'm just a waiter (water boy) serving glasses of water. Isn't it ridiculous to think of waiters being contentious with one another over the lowly position of water boy?

God bless,

William

Some put "notches" so to speak in their Bibles for all those "they got saved" NO ONE saves anyone, but Jesus Christ! For me I say I introduced Jesus Christ this time, and maybe someone else has to, or maybe a dozen people shared the saving great news that Jesus Christ has paid your sin debt. Would you rather pay that debt or accept Jesus "Paid In Full" for your sins?

• Like 1

Truthfrees
I often hear and read that EVANGELISM is difficult, or its not my gift. So what's so hard about sharing your faith? For me asking family members about their relationship with Jesus Christ is not difficult, the same is true for strangers, if I am able to start up a conversation. I don't consider that evangelism is my spiritual gift, but I have the gift of gab.

Talking about Jesus is not something I bring up right out of the box, I have to feel the Holy Spirits leading.

Sometimes I just start by a "hello" what a cute baby, how old is it? and if a door opens I see if I can get a response. sometimes I get a hi, or just a head bob. But I usually get some kind aknowledgement.

So what do you think?

when i was a teenager i used to go street witnessing with a group of other teens

we would pair up and then walk the street approaching people

my 1st encounter was not a good experience because i was not a talker - i'm a writer - a quiet musical person

i kept trying but i was so noticeably bad at talking to people eventually no one wanted to be my partner so i quit

i tried a few times on my own to talk to people i knew and failed miserably - people reacted very badly to my awkward confused approach to sharing Jesus - so i quit doing that too

i told God that i am willing to share Jesus but He would have to help me do it properly - i was at that point an outstanding example of how to NOT share Jesus

a few years later God helped me connect with a street witnessing group and after a few months their excellent example of how to share Jesus and lead people in a salvation prayer set me free from all the fear and failure i had been experiencing

i would go soul winning 4 nights a week with a partner and God showed me to pray ahead of time for my inheritance (the nations) so that many people would accept Jesus after a clear short simple gospel exchange

i eventually helped others learn how to approach strangers and successfully share the gospel - God's power for the salvation of man

short story - i tried to do it and failed miserably - but my heart wanted to learn how to do it and God eventually helped me learn a method that suited my shy personality type - and the by-product is i am no longer a shy person - i can now talk to almost anyone

i still don't have the gift of the gab - i have to pray before i speak to people to get God's help - for Him to speak through me

i have to pray before i post here - to get God's help so that He can speak through me here

so praise God that some of you do have a gift of speech and can successfully talk to others about Jesus

i still need God's help to say profitable things in even my daily life

praise God that there is a way for even the shyest of people to somehow share Jesus

before i learned to street witness i used to take my guitar and sing at christian coffee houses - that was the only way i could share Jesus without anxiety about talking

God bless you all - this is an excellent topic

• Like 3

Sue D.

Why is evangelism so difficult? Because of fear of rejection -- being made fun of. And some feel that a person has to have a lot of education in order to 'do it right'.

And this country Used to be more of a Godly country. And satan puts a sense of fear into us.

And we potentially live amongst the people who we're trying To evangelize -- they see us in our every day living. So it could be a '"and who are You to be suggesting how I should be living'"

• Like 2

reformed baptist

Honestly, I don't how anyone who isn't monergistic could ever evangelize - it is only my confidence in the sovereignty of God to save despite my poor efforts that enables me to share the gospel ever.

• Like 1

Sue D.
Honestly, I don't how anyone who isn't monergistic could ever evangelize - it is only my confidence in the sovereignty of God to save despite my poor efforts that enables me to share the gospel ever.

I've heard the term 'monergistic' but I don't really know what it means.

What is so hard About sharing the Gospel? I do it on here frequently.

Salvation -- that which Jesus Christ accomplished on the cross for everyone -- and on a personal level -- me. No one is going to get 'saved' by accident. And no one Won't get saved who isn't supposed to.

We are Told to share with whomever will listen. My only contacts are at church. I don't have a job.

The other forum I was on was my 'foreign mission field' Until I got banned. I was being Too Bible and atheists don't usually like that.

• Like 1

William
Staff

@Sue D. R.B. is stating that God alone saves people, and He is not in the business of making them only partially savable. The theology behind the theological term Monergism is held by Lutherans, Reformed and Calvinistic groups, they understand salvation as the work of God alone, from first to last. He has chosen in eternity past whom He will save out of lost humanity (often referred to as the elect), and in His timing He will bring the elect to faith through the work of the Spirit for the sake of the Son, and save them forever to the praise of His glorious grace (Romans 8:29). This is opposed to the synergistic view as held by Arminianism and its theological predecessor Semi-Pelagianism where salvation is seen as a cooperative effort between God and man.

"Monergism simply means that it is God who gives ears to hear and eyes to see. It is God alone who gives illumination and understanding of His word that we might believe; It is God who raises us from the dead, who circumcises the heart; unplugs our ears; It is God alone who can give us a new sense that we may, at last, have the moral capacity to behold His beauty and unsurpassed excellency." - http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/monergism_simple.html

• Like 1

reformed baptist

Exactly - I can evangelize because God saves sinners :D

William
Staff
Why is evangelism so difficult? Because of fear of rejection -- being made fun of. And some feel that a person has to have a lot of education in order to 'do it right'.

And this country Used to be more of a Godly country. And satan puts a sense of fear into us.

And we potentially live amongst the people who we're trying To evangelize -- they see us in our every day living. So it could be a '"and who are You to be suggesting how I should be living'"

Why is evangelism so difficult? Because of fear of rejection -- being made fun of.

This is what happens when people fear man more than they fear God.

• Like 1

Fastfredy0

Honestly, I don't how anyone who isn't monergistic could ever evangelize

Since the definition of synergist is the view that God works together with us in effecting salvation it seems they would be more motivated to evangelize as they believe they are partially responsible for others salvation by convincing them. (Example: Billy Graham)

Aside: I am a monergist so its seems an academic point

• Like 1

William
Staff

Ezekiel 34:11 “For thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I, I myself will search for my sheep and will seek them out.

I do understand what you're suggesting and that is what Catholicism teaches. I think some are looking at the physical and not spiritual aspect of salvation. For example, as a monergist @Fastfredy0 that is like asking Ezekiel to share the responsibility of bringing dry bones to life. Unregenerate men need a God/Savior to raise them from Spiritual death, not someone to teach them (Pelagianism) or a Physician to heal them (Arminianism). I think the point some miss is that we are dealing with dead people. Apart from the monergistic work of salvation we have no hope in our efforts of Evangelism. God must bring to life the dead and prepare them for His words which take root in a heart after His. Otherwise, the heart of stone is not receptive to the seeds of the evangelists which toils but rather the seeds fall by the wayside. And lastly, when someone comes to salvation, monergist proclaim Soli Deo Gloria! Soli Deo Gloria is so important to me. If ALL glory is not attributed to God alone, I use this as a final litmus to reject any doctrine which attempts to attribute God's glory to anyone else. We monergist have no confidence in man's ability to save himself, therefore, we act upon an opportunity to Evangelize, praying for the unregenerate to be brought to salvation. Mind you, this is one of the fundamental differences between Catholicism and Protestants, Catholics teach the glory for a sinner's salvation could be attributed partly to Christ, partly to Mary and the saints, and partly to the sinner himself. The reformers responded, “No, the only true gospel is that which gives all glory to God alone, as is taught in the scriptures.”

• Like 2

Sue D.

These have been very educational comments.

Matto

It's only by God's grace that you can be ambassadors for Christ, in God's timing. The opportunities come by Divine providence we don't force the issue by our timing and will. If we are the Body of Christ the Church then we will act by His Will not ours.

All we have to do is wait on the Lord in His Will, timing and Grace. We are not meant to act of our own accord, human effort is fruitless, and very difficult to impossible, but acting by Grace as His Body the Church the way is already prepared before you, and will find everything ready as He promised.

All we need to do get out of Jesus way so He can use us. That's why when we say the Lord's Prayer in the morning with all our hearts, we are calling for God's Will to be done on earth not ours. That's when He can use us really effectively for His purpose and Glory.

We will not have the grace to be effective if God's Will is for us is to be carrying out other daily duties, and we are elsewhere evangelising by our own will. This is sloth, when we do things other than we are bound to do for our state in life.

God will present the opportunity, just wait on Him in all of your daily duties, after entrusting yourself to His Will.

Just Mike

when i was a teenager i used to go street witnessing with a group of other teens

we would pair up and then walk the street approaching people

my 1st encounter was not a good experience because i was not a talker - i'm a writer - a quiet musical person

i kept trying but i was so noticeably bad at talking to people eventually no one wanted to be my partner so i quit

i tried a few times on my own to talk to people i knew and failed miserably - people reacted very badly to my awkward confused approach to sharing Jesus - so i quit doing that too

i told God that i am willing to share Jesus but He would have to help me do it properly - i was at that point an outstanding example of how to NOT share Jesus

a few years later God helped me connect with a street witnessing group and after a few months their excellent example of how to share Jesus and lead people in a salvation prayer set me free from all the fear and failure i had been experiencing

i would go soul winning 4 nights a week with a partner and God showed me to pray ahead of time for my inheritance (the nations) so that many people would accept Jesus after a clear short simple gospel exchange

i eventually helped others learn how to approach strangers and successfully share the gospel - God's power for the salvation of man

short story - i tried to do it and failed miserably - but my heart wanted to learn how to do it and God eventually helped me learn a method that suited my shy personality type - and the by-product is i am no longer a shy person - i can now talk to almost anyone

i still don't have the gift of the gab - i have to pray before i speak to people to get God's help - for Him to speak through me

i have to pray before i post here - to get God's help so that He can speak through me here

so praise God that some of you do have a gift of speech and can successfully talk to others about Jesus

i still need God's help to say profitable things in even my daily life

praise God that there is a way for even the shyest of people to somehow share Jesus

before i learned to street witness i used to take my guitar and sing at christian coffee houses - that was the only way i could share Jesus without anxiety about talking

God bless you all - this is an excellent topic

Its nice to know more about you, so a better than late WELCOME to the forum!

• Like 1

Just Mike

For those who frea being made to look foolish or being rejected then look no farther than how Jesus was so rejected. Here on Resurrection week Jesus was hailed as a king with people laying palm brabches on the ground as he rode on a donkey, then in five days they Crucified Jesus Christ. Just how much more rejection could me or you face?

Just think they spit on Jesus, beat Him with no mercy, His bones were exposed on his back, he was bleeding, they put thorns deeply into His head. Then they made Jesus carry a cross. the nailed his hands and feet they the stood that cross streetlight up, Jesus could hardly take a breath. Jesus carried my sins on His back to that bloody cross and died to pay for each and ever lie I have told, ever swear word i have used. Jesus took the punishment for my sins, and paid my sin debt! Oh My God how can I even begin to express my deep sincere love for Jesus Christ? There are no words than I know how to say thank you! If ever I need the Holy Spirit to utter my souls words for how I love Him I need that now.

• Like 2

davidtaylorjr
To date, I have never had a single person, of any religion or none who wasn't warmly agreeable for me to pray for them.

You know surprisingly I have. I met an athiest and asked if I could pray for him and his response was "I would rather that you did not."

• Like 1

Sue D.

You know surprisingly I have. I met an athiest and asked if I could pray for him and his response was "I would rather that you did not."

Coming from an atheist -- that's not surprising.

William
Staff

I have witnessed an atheist mock a Christian which began praying for them. The atheist was about to take a trip, and the Christian was praying for his safety. In a mocking nature or sarcasm the atheist said, "ya, that'll protect me".

Sue D.

Sure hope he found that it was needed and Worked. :)

GaoLu

Hi David! Great to see you here! Objecting to prayer was bound to happen and perhaps more likely in America than in Asia, where I have the "tolerance for a foreigner" advantage.