SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
PouringVocals

The Definiton of Faith

PouringVocals

Faith in the purest sense is the ceasing of resistance, even when there’s no physical evidence, when the other evidence is present – the other evidence is physical, proof

Not feeding ourselves on what God hasn’t done.

Faith in it’s purest form is the absence of resistance.

Faith doesn’t deny a problems existence, it denies it influence.

He or she was someone whom aridity and desolation never disturbed, for he or she had a deeply rooted and vigorous faith

Sue D.

Hebrews 11 --the 'faith' chapter. Vs 1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

vs 3 "by faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. "

Chapter continues to site many individuals who exhibited 'faith' through their actions.

• Like 1

islandrazor

This is not targeted at anyone in particular. I saw the word faith and, well here I am.

Of course it is faith that saves you. Of course it is God’s grace. You are not getting into heaven in an interdimensional spaceship. Why does it seem so difficult for some to understand? It’s faith that works, not one verses the other. They work together. “If you love me keep my commandments”… “Why do you call me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things that I ask”?

If Abraham and Sarah had looked at each other and both spewed their morning coffee laughing, then done nothing, there would be no Israel. Had Noah looked at lions and said I ain’t going anywhere near them suckers, I believe in you God, but I ain’t building that boat, that’s crazy. Your kidding right? There’d be no well, us. Naaman would have died a leper had he refused to jump again and again into muddy water.

When warned of Saul’s anger, had David not hid, he’d have died leaving no offspring. Then what?

In Job, Satan is upstairs chatting with God. He believes there is a God. Believing don’t save him. Why? Because he refuses to obey Him. We are to Trust and Obey.

If I went into a restaurant and the waiter/waitress leaned against the wall waiting for me to take my own order, serve myself, then leave a generous tip, I’d go to a different restaurant. As James says, “Faith is perfected in work”.

When God said, hey Joshua, Get the people together and march around that city, Josh didn’t say that’s silly, I have faith in you so I’ll just sit here and you kick those walls down. God wants us to put our money where our mouth is, so to speak. God has foreordained that we walk in good works. It is a given if you truly have faith. Now some may wish to argue, What about those that die before any opportunity to do anything? God knows those that are His. That’s not your business. Stop making excuses and get to work. Abraham had his son carry his own firewood when God said, I want you to kill your son as a sacrifice for me. Abraham didn’t stutter, but, but, but God, he got up and went to work at it, trusting that God “would provide Himself an offering”.

Scripture is full of men of faith who acted on faith, Who did things.

It is not a list as follows:

Men of faith;

abe, josh, noah, Samuel, john, etc… It would be a short book. The bible was written as an example of what active faith in God is, not just a list of believers.

Reminds me of a story of a man on his roof during a flood waiting for God to miraculously save him. God sends a boat, a helicopter, etc… Get in the boat ------- There are plenty other people to be rescued. Let’s not waste time debating if we should work for God. Work! Don’t worry God is either in control of our lives,,, or Satan is. We’re in or out. As Christ said, ‘He that isn’t against me is for me”.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from this world.

One of my favorite scriptures Sue. I have a lot of them.

• Like 1

Sue D.
This is not targeted at anyone in particular. I saw the word faith and, well here I am.

Of course it is faith that saves you. Of course it is God’s grace. You are not getting into heaven in an interdimensional spaceship. Why does it seem so difficult for some to understand? It’s faith that works, not one verses the other. They work together. “If you love me keep my commandments”… “Why do you call me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things that I ask”?

If Abraham and Sarah had looked at each other and both spewed their morning coffee laughing, then done nothing, there would be no Israel. Had Noah looked at lions and said I ain’t going anywhere near them suckers, I believe in you God, but I ain’t building that boat, that’s crazy. Your kidding right? There’d be no well, us. Naaman would have died a leper had he refused to jump again and again into muddy water.

When warned of Saul’s anger, had David not hid, he’d have died leaving no offspring. Then what?

In Job, Satan is upstairs chatting with God. He believes there is a God. Believing don’t save him. Why? Because he refuses to obey Him. We are to Trust and Obey.

If I went into a restaurant and the waiter/waitress leaned against the wall waiting for me to take my own order, serve myself, then leave a generous tip, I’d go to a different restaurant. As James says, “Faith is perfected in work”.

When God said, hey Joshua, Get the people together and march around that city, Josh didn’t say that’s silly, I have faith in you so I’ll just sit here and you kick those walls down. God wants us to put our money where our mouth is, so to speak. God has foreordained that we walk in good works. It is a given if you truly have faith. Now some may wish to argue, What about those that die before any opportunity to do anything? God knows those that are His. That’s not your business. Stop making excuses and get to work. Abraham had his son carry his own firewood when God said, I want you to kill your son as a sacrifice for me. Abraham didn’t stutter, but, but, but God, he got up and went to work at it, trusting that God “would provide Himself an offering”.

Men of faith;

abe, josh, noah, Samuel, john, etc… It would be a short book. The bible was written as an example of what active faith in God is, not just a list of believers.

Reminds me of a story of a man on his roof during a flood waiting for God to miraculously save him. God sends a boat, a helicopter, etc… Get in the boat ------- There are plenty other people to be rescued. Let’s not waste time debating if we should work for God. Work! Don’t worry God is either in control of our lives,,, or Satan is. We’re in or out. As Christ said, ‘He that isn’t against me is for me”.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from this world.

You're quite expressive.

islandrazor

You just made me laugh Sue D.

Sue D.
You just made me laugh Sue D.

What made you laugh ? You were expressing a sense of humor.

I've heard that story, too. We're looking for a specific way for God to answer our prayers, sometimes we don't recognize an answer when we get it.

Kind of like when the people were in the one person's house praying for Peter's release from prison. Apparently they weren't really expecting a positive result, cause when he appeared at their home safe and sound, they were shocked.

We're probably a lot like that. Probably because this world is getting worse and worse, so when something Positive Does happen, we're shocked that good still Can happen. God is still in control, we simply don't give Him very much credit For being in control.

• Like 1

islandrazor

Sue D. Your comment, “you’re quite expressive”. It was a good laugh. “Being sober minded” is good, So is laughter. We can take little things a little to seriously at times. Become easily offended over inconsequential events and perceptions. God is most assuredly in control.

Yes PouringVocals, Faith is the cessation of resistance to the Spirit of God. To trust. To not “oppose ourselves” by being in opposition to the calling of God’s Spirit.

God is Good my friends, He makes it so easy. He is our Father. Sometimes our explanation of simple truths can become complex. What does it mean to love your brother? Sometimes it’s giggles. Sometimes it’s discipline.

• Like 1

Ransol

Men of faith;

So what of the Christian who believe in Christ but has little or no works we could point to, his whole life? What of that Christ believer? What happens to him?

Sue D.

Men of faith;

So what of the Christian who believe in Christ but has little or no works we could point to, his whole life? What of that Christ believer? What happens to him?

Well --maybe those who are concerned about that individual should befriend him / her about their condition. Maybe there are no good works because there was no salvation in the first place.

Sometimes people "walk the aisle" at the end of the service at invitation time expecting 'something to happen' -- and nothing really Does. Or someone sits down with them at the front of the church while everyone is singing and 'waiting' -- there's no privacy and lots of pressure -- a prayer is prayed and a card signed. No one takes the time to ask "Why have you come forward?" And so the person is as 'lost' leaving the building as they were entering it. And there's no follow-up with disciple-shipping the person.

The 'Christ-believer' -- What are they believing About Christ.

islandrazor

Men of faith;

The "Work" is inside. "Purify Your hearts". "The kingdom of heaven is within you". The lateral work we do benefits those around us. It is born of the desire to love our neighbor as ourself. The internal work is submitting to Christ and striving to be more like Him in our thoughts and actions. The internal work saves you, that's faith in Christ, God's work. The external work is an outpouring, a natural expression of faith in God.

Phil 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

In Christ

• Like 1

Sue D.

Men of faith;

Yes, absolutely.

Ransol

God said Abraham was righteous because He believed God. Hebrews 11:17 gives us the example of Abraham offering up is ONLY??? son as a testament to his faith.

What many people don' realize is the offering came, What? 40 years AFTER God call Abraham righteous because of his faith. 40 years.

I'm just not sure it is our concern, how, how quickly or how much a believer is changing. And just the fact that we are looking for physical or carnal evidence, isn' that saying we are too carnally minded (mindful of the flesh, paying too much attention to the flesh)?

Its the Spirit that is new, but the Spirit is what changes the flesh. And in most all cases, we don' know what the Spirit has to deal with in an individual, so how can we know how long it will take? I guess we expect their transformation to happen like our own did. Some people have some deep wounds and they a re not so easy to get close to. Even God has to patient when He deals with them: revealing one truth at a time, revealing each lie they have believed at a time.

I just dont think we should be so focused on the flesh, what we see in the natural. The flesh is only 1/3 of the person, and it's the least important part of that person. Their battle is not flesh and blood, it' in their soul. And when we feel we need to correct them, or hurry them along, we may actually be getting in the way of progress.

something to think about.

• Like 1

Sue D.
God said Abraham was righteous because He believed God. Hebrews 11:17 gives us the example of Abraham offering up is ONLY??? son as a testament to his faith.

What many people don' realize is the offering came, What? 40 years AFTER God call Abraham righteous because of his faith. 40 years.

I'm just not sure it is our concern, how, how quickly or how much a believer is changing. And just the fact that we are looking for physical or carnal evidence, isn' that saying we are too carnally minded (mindful of the flesh, paying too much attention to the flesh)?

Its the Spirit that is new, but the Spirit is what changes the flesh. And in most all cases, we don' know what the Spirit has to deal with in an individual, so how can we know how long it will take? I guess we expect their transformation to happen like our own did. Some people have some deep wounds and they a re not so easy to get close to. Even God has to patient when He deals with them: revealing one truth at a time, revealing each lie they have believed at a time.

I just dont think we should be so focused on the flesh, what we see in the natural. The flesh is only 1/3 of the person, and it's the least important part of that person. Their battle is not flesh and blood, it' in their soul. And when we feel we need to correct them, or hurry them along, we may actually be getting in the way of progress.

something to think about.

By their fruits we will know them. We see a person by / through their actions/ words. Maybe it will be a more relaxed posture / maybe a smile instead of a frown. No one will be perfect until we're in heaven. But until Then, a new creation in Christ Will have at least a change / improvement or two. They will have questions when reading their Bible. A desire to help -- something New in their lives / actions.

Ransol

I guess it depends how well we knew them before.

Fastfredy0

Faith – Calvin: Faith is a firm and sure knowledge of the divine favor toward us, founded on the truth of a free promise in Christ, and revealed to our minds, and sealed on our hearts, by the Holy Spirit. It is a gift of God per Ephesian 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen; a simple reliance upon a God known to be trustworthy. Such reliance enabled the believer to treat the future as present and the invisible as seen.

nolidad
Faith in the purest sense is the ceasing of resistance, even when there’s no physical evidence, when the other evidence is present – the other evidence is physical, proof

He or she was someone whom aridity and desolation never disturbed, for he or she had a deeply rooted and vigorous faith

No< I wouldn't call faith a ceasing of a negative! Faith is the quiet confidence assurance in God who is all and does all! It is a confidence that allows us to die to self and allow HIm to live through us It is the assurance based on teh intimate knowledge of Him that all is well when the human mind cries- Lord save us we perish?

Sue D.
Faith – Calvin: Faith is a firm and sure knowledge of the divine favor toward us, founded on the truth of a free promise in Christ, and revealed to our minds, and sealed on our hearts, by the Holy Spirit. It is a gift of God per Ephesian 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen; a simple reliance upon a God known to be trustworthy. Such reliance enabled the believer to treat the future as present and the invisible as seen.

Hebrews 11: 1 and continues in the rest of the chapter with the various men and what they did "by faith".

One of my footnotes on 11:6 "without faith it is impossible to please God. That Enoch pleased God is proof of his faith, 'believe that He exists' -- Faith must have an object , and the proper object of genuine faith is God, "who earnestly seek Him" Jeremiah 29:13 "you will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart...... I will be found my you," declares the Lord and will bring you back from captivity." In these particular verses, He's talking to the exiles.

Thought it was an interesting footnote.

Sue D.

No< I wouldn't call faith a ceasing of a negative! Faith is the quiet confidence assurance in God who is all and does all! It is a confidence that allows us to die to self and allow HIm to live through us It is the assurance based on teh intimate knowledge of Him that all is well when the human mind cries- Lord save us we perish?

"Faith is the quiet confidence assurance in God who is all and does all"

I like that. (And the rest of it.)

Fastfredy0

How can one comprehensively define faith and not state it's source?

Edited by Fastfredy0
typo

Sue D.

Wouldn't faith in God be assumed? Verse 3 "By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible."

It would be coming from God.

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God...... created."

God spoke and it 'became' and it was good.

And the evening and the morning were the 1st day. ( a free-be veering off the thread subject ).

Fastfredy0

I am not referring to "what" is to be believed (although important), I am referring to "from whom" does faith originate. There is wide disagreement as to the source.

Aside: I know you and I disagree as to the source for example

• Like 1

William
Staff

Right, some people define faith as an "action based on belief sustained by confidence". That though, can be about anything. The missing part of the definition of faith as posed by some is an action based on belief sustained by confidence "in God".

And I agree, the "what" is to be believed isn't really the question, though, what is to be believed completely originates in God. We contributed nothing historically to Jesus' existence, life, ministry, crucifixion and resurrection. The Gospel in which we believe was finished well before we were born. The "who" to believe is the object of our faith. Faith in or of ourselves is powerless to save us, in or of ourselves faith is misplaced, it is the object of our faith in Christ Jesus (God) which saves us. God provides everything we need in salvation (what and who).

• Like 1

Fastfredy0

action based on belief sustained by confidence "in God".

I like that. I don't worry about what I have to believe (although I have a good idea). I am simply confident in God to give me the gift of faith which is an infallible, salvific faith. (It may be much weaker than others, but it's all I need)

• Like 1

Sue D.

Well -- the source would be God.

The Gospel / salvation / the cross was looked forward To by the Old Testament people -- was happening in Fact in New Testament times -- and is being trusted in looking Back in history that it actually Did happen. Our faith Is in Jesus Christ -- His death, burial and bodily resurrection for Me , personally. As well as whom ever else is one of His elect. God is the only One who knows who His elect are.

Sue D.

@FFO -- how are we to give an account to others of what we believe and why we believe it , if we don't know what it is that we Do believe exactly, for sure.