SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
William

I am ESV Only!

William
Staff

The following is a satire of the modern King James Only movement and shows its weaknesses.

I am ESV only! I believe that the men of God who gave us the English Standard Version were commissioned by God to do this work. For many years the KJV has served the Lord for His purposes in the English language but now, by the providence of God, we have a new translation that corrects the errors that have been appearing in the KJV through various publishers such as the liberal Zondervan or Cambridge. The Lord has given us renown scholars who love the Word of God, believe in the inerrancy and infallibility of the Word, and who believe that the work of translation should be free from errors. The men of God who have given us the ESV will no doubt receive their rewards for their good work.

I believe the ESV to be the pure Word of God based on the promise of God in Psalm 12:6-7 (ESV). The Lord promised in Psalm 12:7 (ESV) that He would keep His Word and He had preserved His Word in the ESV. I believe this because:

• The vastly superior manuscripts used by the ESV scholars to translate both the Old and New Testaments.
  • The superior usage of the English language in the ESV as compared to other English “translations.”
  • The blessing of God upon the ESV as seen by many prominent ministries around the world.
  • The sound doctrine that the ESV produces such as the deity of Christ and the blood of Christ.
  • The fact that so many souls have been saved by reading from the ESV.

There is no doubt that other Bible “translations” are not inspired by God. The NIV attacks the blood of Christ and omits many verses. The NASB likewise is too wooden to read, is used by liberal preachers and teachers, and does not contain the superior doctrine as found in the ESV. The KJV is too archaic, has many errors in translation and is not based on the best Hebrew and Greek texts. The NKJV is similar to the KJV in terms of its Hebrew and Greek texts. The ESV alone stands as the pure Word of God for us in English.

The very name, English Standard Version, shows how great the ESV is. It is THE English standard for all Bible translations to be compared by. If you are using a corrupt bible such as the NIV or the NKJV, the ESV should be the final authority by which you judge all other “bibles” by. The Bible for us in English today is the ESV and the ESV alone.

So why did God give us the ESV? God has always had a language that He spoke through. In the Old Testament, God spoke to the world through Hebrew. In the New Testament, Greek was the dominant language and so God gave us the Greek Old Testament (the Septuagint) and the New Testament authors wrote in Greek as well as read from the Old Testament in Greek. Over the centuries other languages have seen God’s hand upon them such as Latin and German. Today, the language that dominates the world is English. English remains the international business language and though Chinese is the largest spoken language on Earth, English remains the dominant business language. Therefore, God has given us the ESV as THE standard by which we judge all other Bibles. The ESV should be the standard to judge even Spanish, Chinese, or other languages and their Bibles.

And how do I know that the ESV is the standard? Because of its name and because of the promise of God in Psalm 12:7 (ESV)!

One final question: Can you be saved and not use the ESV? I answer perhaps. There is no denying that salvation is the gracious work of God (Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV!). But it is true that other “bibles” may lead the new Christian astray. Jesus warned us in Matthew 24:5 (ESV!) that false christs would come. Jesus also said that His sheep hear His voice in John 10:27 (ESV). What voice would that be if not the ESV? The ESV faithfully teaches sound doctrine (1 Timothy 4:16 ESV) and we learn about Jesus in truth from the ESV (John 20:31 ESV). The ESV doesn’t attack the precious blood of Christ nor His deity as other false translations do. The ESV faithfully has been used by many street preachers and this shows that God is using the ESV for His glory. Furthermore, the ESV translation committee give all glory to God right there in the opening of the ESV! How much more proof do you need?

I urge you to get an ESV today! In God’s providence, the ESV is protected by Crossway Books. This enables the ESV from falling into wicked hands like the KJV has with Zondervan and Cambridge. While it is true that Cambridge (and a few others) are publishing editions of the ESV now, those are protected by Crossway Books overseeing that only the ESV text they produced is used. This again is proof of Psalm 12:7.

While certain wicked Arminians and Calvinists have claimed the ESV as their own, the ESV belongs to the people of God. I pray that many fundamentalist Baptist will repent of using false “bible” translations and begin to use the wonderful ESV. The ESV, perhaps, will be the Bible that God uses to bring in the end of the world!

Source: https://arminiantoday.wordpress.com/...-esv-only/amp/

• Like 3

CDF47

Interesting read. I really like the ESV as well. I use to be KJV only until trying out this version and the NASB.

MMCCAULEY65
I am ESV only! I believe that the men of God who gave us the English Standard Version were commissioned by God to do this work. For many years the KJV has served the Lord for His purposes in the English language but now, by the providence of God, we have a new translation that corrects the errors that have been appearing in the KJV through various publishers such as the liberal Zondervan or Cambridge. The Lord has given us renown scholars who love the Word of God, believe in the inerrancy and infallibility of the Word, and who believe that the work of translation should be free from errors. The men of God who have given us the ESV will no doubt receive their rewards for their good work.

I believe the ESV to be the pure Word of God based on the promise of God in Psalm 12:6-7 (ESV). The Lord promised in Psalm 12:7 (ESV) that He would keep His Word and He had preserved His Word in the ESV. I believe this because:

• The vastly superior manuscripts used by the ESV scholars to translate both the Old and New Testaments.
  • The superior usage of the English language in the ESV as compared to other English “translations.”
  • The blessing of God upon the ESV as seen by many prominent ministries around the world.
  • The sound doctrine that the ESV produces such as the deity of Christ and the blood of Christ.
  • The fact that so many souls have been saved by reading from the ESV.

There is no doubt that other Bible “translations” are not inspired by God. The NIV attacks the blood of Christ and omits many verses. The NASB likewise is too wooden to read, is used by liberal preachers and teachers, and does not contain the superior doctrine as found in the ESV. The KJV is too archaic, has many errors in translation and is not based on the best Hebrew and Greek texts. The NKJV is similar to the KJV in terms of its Hebrew and Greek texts. The ESV alone stands as the pure Word of God for us in English.

The very name, English Standard Version, shows how great the ESV is. It is THE English standard for all Bible translations to be compared by. If you are using a corrupt bible such as the NIV or the NKJV, the ESV should be the final authority by which you judge all other “bibles” by. The Bible for us in English today is the ESV and the ESV alone.

So why did God give us the ESV? God has always had a language that He spoke through. In the Old Testament, God spoke to the world through Hebrew. In the New Testament, Greek was the dominant language and so God gave us the Greek Old Testament (the Septuagint) and the New Testament authors wrote in Greek as well as read from the Old Testament in Greek. Over the centuries other languages have seen God’s hand upon them such as Latin and German. Today, the language that dominates the world is English. English remains the international business language and though Chinese is the largest spoken language on Earth, English remains the dominant business language. Therefore, God has given us the ESV as THE standard by which we judge all other Bibles. The ESV should be the standard to judge even Spanish, Chinese, or other languages and their Bibles.

And how do I know that the ESV is the standard? Because of its name and because of the promise of God in Psalm 12:7 (ESV)!

One final question: Can you be saved and not use the ESV? I answer perhaps. There is no denying that salvation is the gracious work of God (Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV!). But it is true that other “bibles” may lead the new Christian astray. Jesus warned us in Matthew 24:5 (ESV!) that false christs would come. Jesus also said that His sheep hear His voice in John 10:27 (ESV). What voice would that be if not the ESV? The ESV faithfully teaches sound doctrine (1 Timothy 4:16 ESV) and we learn about Jesus in truth from the ESV (John 20:31 ESV). The ESV doesn’t attack the precious blood of Christ nor His deity as other false translations do. The ESV faithfully has been used by many street preachers and this shows that God is using the ESV for His glory. Furthermore, the ESV translation committee give all glory to God right there in the opening of the ESV! How much more proof do you need?

I urge you to get an ESV today! In God’s providence, the ESV is protected by Crossway Books. This enables the ESV from falling into wicked hands like the KJV has with Zondervan and Cambridge. While it is true that Cambridge (and a few others) are publishing editions of the ESV now, those are protected by Crossway Books overseeing that only the ESV text they produced is used. This again is proof of Psalm 12:7.

While certain wicked Arminians and Calvinists have claimed the ESV as their own, the ESV belongs to the people of God. I pray that many fundamentalist Baptist will repent of using false “bible” translations and begin to use the wonderful ESV. The ESV, perhaps, will be the Bible that God uses to bring in the end of the world!

Source: https://arminiantoday.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/i-am-esv-only/amp/

Interesting read, Although the ESV hasn’t been my go to translation, I do go to it regularly in my studies. Being relatively new to “biblical study” I would be appreciative if you could point me to the specific scriptures in the NIV and NKJV that “attack the blood of Christ “ and that are omitted completely.

Thanks, Mark

Sue D.
@William -- You Almost sound like a KJV onlyist. Is that your point. The ESV being the Newest and KJV supposedly being the oldest, most reliable. Almost sounds like an article from "Babylon Bee".:RpS_wink:
  • Like 1

Eric T.
I would be appreciative if you could point me to the specific scriptures in the NIV and NKJV that “attack the blood of Christ “ and that are omitted completely.

Hi @MMCCAULEY65! That article that @William posted is supposed to be a satire of King James Only-ism, so I'm not sure that there are actually verses missing from the NIV or NKJV or that attack the blood of Christ, but rather I believe those charges are copies of the ones made by the King James Only crowd against the other "wicked" translations. I could be wrong though. If anybody can correct me or supply the verses that Mmccauley65 is asking for, please do.

MMCCAULEY65

Hi @MMCCAULEY65! That article that @William posted is supposed to be a satire of King James Only-ism, so I'm not sure that there are actually verses missing from the NIV or NKJV or that attack the blood of Christ, but rather I believe those charges are copies of the ones made by the King James Only crowd against the other "wicked" translations. I could be wrong though. If anybody can correct me or supply the verses that Mmccauley65 is asking for, please do.

Thanks for the clarification! Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to spot this type of humor. Until then I’ll keep asking these silly questions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just Mike

William; There a number of Southern Baptist in leadership positions that would like to see the ESV become our denominations official translation. At present all LifeWay Sunday School material is using the Christian Standard Bible. Many Churches including where I am a member, use the CSB for the pew Bibles and pastor's re preaching from the CSB.

I find it strange that the Holman Christian Standard Bible was canceled in favor of the Christian Standard Bible. The difference between the two is negligible, basically it was a name change in my opinion. I do not care for the CSB as it reads like people talk,in places it is too free in words it uses and extends words beyond the original Greek text. One example is in James 2:1 the CSB says "My brothers and sisters...." Sisters is not in the Greek, so IMO this is adding to the text, and is a form of inclusive language. I would much prefer the English Standard Version Bible over the Christian Standard Bible. I do not care for the CSB.

However I have long used the New American Standard Bible, and at present it is my go to first Bible. I am reading the ESV more than I used to, especially after looking at the translators of the ESV. The translators of the ESV are solid Christian men whom I totally respect, many whom are Southern Baptist. If I ever get to the point where I use the ESV more than my NASB I will switch to the ESV.

One thing I find rather odd, many of the men who came out as approving the CSB are also giving their approval of the ESV. I wonder is this a conflict by giving approval of both?

deade

Thanks for the clarification! Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to spot this type of humor. Until then I’ll keep asking these silly questions!

All you have to do is remember you found this post in the satire section. 4224.gif.9e48f5d869f512489686561021d11cba.gif

• Like 1

Just Mike

All you have to do is remember you found this post in the satire section. [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"4224.gif","data-attachmentid":64195}[/ATTACH]

I think it is more truth than satire.

• Like 1

MMCCAULEY65

All you have to do is remember you found this post in the satire section. [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"4224.gif","data-attachmentid":64195}[/ATTACH]

Well I’ll be! It showed up on my feed and I clicked on it, read it, replied to it without realizing where it was posted! Now I really feel like a dufus!

• Like 1

Just Mike

Well I’ll be! It showed up on my feed and I clicked on it, read it, replied to it without realizing where it was posted! Now I really feel like a dufus!

Don't feel bad, just go along and enjoy those who got duped as well.

ConfessionalLutheran

And THAT, brothers and sisters, is why I wait before posting in a satire site.

• Like 4

Sue D.

Actually -- if a person reads the very first emboldened sentence -- it starts out "The following is a satire......" I missed it the first time which is why I made the comment about the Babylon Bee. I wasn't in the Satire section. :)

• Like 1

Eric T.
I clicked on it, read it, replied to it without realizing where it was posted!

Don't feel bad, I didn't notice it was under Christian Satire either. In fact, I wasn't 100% sure what William was up to until I followed the link he provided at the end of the article. The original article clearly states it is meant as a satire, but you have to follow the link to see that.

• Like 1

Sue D.

Or take a moment to look at the top of the article.

• Like 2

Eric T.

Oh. How'd I miss that? Sheesh.

• Like 2

Just Mike

Me to, I now feel a slight bit more "sheesh". But I wrote quite a bit. Of well I did say what I thought any way, so its not a total wash.

Sue D.

@justme -- your article Was good.

CDF47

I missed the satire statement at the top of the thread as well.

• Like 2

Just Mike

We need to stop speed reading.

• Like 2

CDF47

I agree. I am so used to it to get through the threads that I missed this one.