SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

Demons. In the church today? Do we ignore them?

Just Mike

Luke 4:31-37 In these verses Jesus came across a man possessed by an unclean spirit or demon possessed in the synagogue on the Sabbath.

Who would ever have thought a man in the synagogue would be demon possessed, of all places? This got me to wondering do we have people in our churches who are demon possessed? A Christian can not be demon possessed as the Holy Spirit resides in every true believer. However Christians can be demon oppressed, thus being overly weary, burdened, depressed, mentally disturbed. We do have people suffering from depression, anxiety, overly burdened, very depressed, and with mental illness in our churches today, but often we ignore them. If we take Jesus example should we rebuke these things?

Jesus rebuked the demon and tole it "be quiet and come out of him." verse 35. Is this the example we should follow?

• Like 1

Sue D.

Perhaps you're taking a 'leap' by equating demon oppression with depression, depressed, over-burdened people.

deade

Maybe not, true Christians cannot be demon possessed; but they can be demon oppressed. Satan is called the "prince of the power of air."

Eph. 2:2: "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

He is allowed to transmit negative feeling, attitudes, etc. at us. Where we make a mistake is when we harbor these negative thoughts. He transmits things that appeal to our old man nature. Later, Paul calls them fiery darts.

Eph. 6:16: "Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked."

Once we recognize that bad thought as not belonging in our head, we immediately quench it with our faith.

4284.gif.d8515e2079410f9068e77c2c30f4cf55.gif

Just Mike
Perhaps you're taking a 'leap' by equating demon oppression with depression, depressed, over-burdened people.

No I also found this in Dictionary of Pastoral care and Counseling. This is a professional book for Masters of Degree of Christian Counselors. Pretty serious book. In iot it list depression and overburdened people. These people are those needing serious help. Often times it goes to hospitalization.

Just Mike
Maybe not, true Christians cannot be demon possessed; but they can be demon oppressed. Satan is called the "prince of the power of air."

Eph. 2:2: "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

He is allowed to transmit negative feeling, attitudes, etc. at us. Where we make a mistake is when we harbor these negative thoughts. He transmits things that appeal to our old man nature. Later, Paul calls them fiery darts.

Eph. 6:16: "Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked."

Once we recognize that bad thought as not belonging in our head, we immediately quench it with our faith.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"4284.gif","data-attachmentid":63951}[/ATTACH]

I stated this right off Christians are never demon possessed.

• Like 1

Innerfire89

Scripture does tell us there is teachings of demons. And there's things that some extreme charismatics are doing in church that don't even resemble Christianity, like fire tunnels, where they pass through a tunnel of people laying on hands and giving the person the Holy Spirit as they claim. Who knows what they're actually inviting to give them their experience.

I vaguely remember hearing of holy yoga and a church holding yoga classes. But what yoga actually is, is an Hindu practice to connect with deities, better know as demons.

• Like 1

Sue D.

Yes, clinical depression / over-burdened people -- my older daughter had a problem for a while. She was an in-patient for about two weeks. Got her meds regulated and she was doing better. No one is immune to mental health issues. I've run into mild depression a couple of times. No Fun. It lasted a couple of weeks. Two different situations. Never went on an anti-depressant. My husband is on a mild anti-depressant. Probably will be for a long time. PTSD.

Sue D.

Somethings in the world of depression aren't in the realm of 'rebuking'. When we come across people With some of the symptoms - we Do need to be understanding with them -- willing to listen to them can be very helpful. A Biblical counselor would approach with needing a history as in has anything particular happened to prompt this // a medical Dr. would probably ask the same kind of questions. Medical history. And, if the person Is a believer.

Sue D.

There IS present day demon possession in various countries and probably in the USA. There is the Church of Satan in this country. There are witches and warlocks and such in this country. Can a believer cast out demons? Does it have to be clergy doing that? In the New Testament Jesus Did give some of the disciples power to cast them out of people. But wasn't That to authenticate their ministry? Interesting. And there are people on all sorts of illegal drugs / marijuana. This is a complicated question.

Innerfire89
There IS present day demon possession in various countries and probably in the USA. There is the Church of Satan in this country. There are witches and warlocks and such in this country. Can a believer cast out demons? Does it have to be clergy doing that? In the New Testament Jesus Did give some of the disciples power to cast them out of people. But wasn't That to authenticate their ministry? Interesting. And there are people on all sorts of illegal drugs / marijuana. This is a complicated question.

It's seems that all that's required to cast out demons is faith and odience to Christ. I recall twice in Scripture there is two failed attempts to cast out a demon. One was by the disciples, and Jesus told them it could only be cast out by fasting, the other was nonbelievers who didn't have a relationships with Christ, when they tried to cast it out in his name the demon responded with, "Christ I know of, but who are you?" And then it beat them and ripped off their clothing.

You mentioned drug use, maybe a person under the influence of drugs could be mistaken for demonic possession. But they might be both high and possessed. The Bible forbids the use of sorcery, what sorcery is, is using drugs to open the mind to the Spirit world. The word being translated to sorcery in English is pharmaica, or something like that, it's where we get the word pharmacy today.

• Like 1

Innerfire89

It's also shocking to find that people calling themselves Christians are practing occult and pagan rituals, some don't know it though. But every now and then you'll hear someone talk about using salt to bind demons, and those sorts of thing.

• Like 1

theophilus

1 Timothy 4:1 says, "Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons." It is possible that many who spread these teachings are actually demon possessed.

• Like 2

deade

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"4284.gif","data-attachmentid":63951}[/ATTACH]

I'm sorry justme, I was addressing Sue D main post: When she said: Perhaps you're taking a 'leap' by equating demon oppression with depression, depressed, over-burdened people." That is what the: Maybe not was for. :RpS_thumbsup:

• Like 1

deade

I'm sorry justme, I was addressing Sue D main post: When she said: Perhaps you're taking a 'leap' by equating demon oppression with depression, depressed, over-burdened people." That is what the: Maybe not was for. :RpS_thumbsup:

Whoops, again i hit the quote button instead of the comment button. This should be comment # 2.4.

Innerfire89
1 Timothy 4:1 says, "Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons." It is possible that many who spread these teachings are actually demon possessed.

Not to mention strange manifestations in people calling themselves apostles. Some point of them will have oil coming out of their skin which they claim it shows how annointed.

Some false teachers look demon possessed to me, maybe it's just me, but it's like there's a darkness in their eyes. Like that Kenneth Copeland, it feels like watching the serpent when I see that deceiver.

Sue D.

I was just asking my husband about "how would a believer / Can a believer cast a demon out of a demon-possessed person." His response was that leading the person to salvation / Christ / would have the Holy Spirit come to indwell and thus, the demon would be forced out. And once the Holy Spirit is indwell the person, no demons can enter. Thus, a believer Can't become demon-- possessed.

• Like 2

Just Mike

The 17 Children killed this last week I would say is such a case for someone being possessed.

• Like 1