The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
just_me

What is the most accurate version of The Bible I can buy.

Staff
just_me said:
What is the most accurate version of The Bible.

I think what matters most is that you understand the truth which the author intended to convey. That's why I am going to recommend a study bible. The notations are a very nice reference point in which to compare your own thoughts from Scripture.

1348054394_BibleTranslations.thumb.jpg.22b563f81da81ec0256c39a443a64ed3.jpg

Personally, I recommend the Reformed Study Bible which comes in the ESV or, I believe, the NKJV (click on the underlined words).

Also be sure to vote in our polls or just look to see which most prefer:

God bless,

William

• Like 3

Just_me I would recommend two Study Bibles I have and use. I like the New American Standard Bible. In the NASB I use and like two Study Bibles in the NASB My favorite is the Life Application Study Bible the notes are good and lots of helps and reads like a book The other study Bible I like is the John MacArthur Study Bible, he has in depth study notes and many helps. Both of these Study Bibles are available in several Translations, The ESV, NIV, and the NASB. Perhaps others but I am not sure.

O good Study Bible in Leather will cost more but the Bindings are usually better and will last longer, be prepared to spend more but its so worth it in the long run. Check out Christian Book Distributor CBD.com and they are generally the cheapest price. If you have a LifeWay Christian Bood store they will match CBD prices, and you don't have to pay shipping. Good hunting and God be with you.

Edited by Just Mike
Computer spelling error. LOL
  • Like 2

A person needs to be willing to read it before it will make a difference.

What's that supposed to mean?

• Like 1

I think someone on this forum mentioned how the NASB will be updated later this year (2018) or perhaps in 2019.

I know a person connected to the translation team, some time in 2019 perhaps Spring. The work has gone deeper and longer than first thought. That's what I was told.

• Like 1

Just_me I would recommend two Study Bibles I have and use. I like the New American Standard Bible. In the NASB I use and like two Study Bibles in the NASB My favorite is the Life Application Study Bible the notes are good and lots of helps and reads like a book The other study Bible I like is the John MacArthur Study Bible, he has in depth study notes and many helps. Both of these Study Bibles are available in several Translations, The ESV, NIV, and the NASB. Perhaps others but I am not sure.

O good Study Bible in Leather will cost more but the Bindings are usually better and will last longer, be prepared to spend more but its so worth it in the long run. Check out Christian Book Distributor CBD.com and they are generally the cheapest price. If you have a LifeWay Christian Bood store they will match CBD prices, and you don't have to pay shipping. Good hunting and God be with you.

John MacArthur is not a reformer, his study notes are excellent IMO.

Hi @just_me. I really like my ESV Study Bible. I usually find it has notes that address my questions. Often if the meaning of a verse is debated, they will provide the various understandings and then say which one they think is best and why. Also, the arrangement and presentation is beautiful and a delight to use.

Here's a link to it: https://www.christianbook.com/esv-study-bible-hardcover/9781433502415/pd/502415?event=Bibles|1001595

• Like 2

Just_me the very best thing might be to go to a large Christian book store and look at the different Bibles for your self. The print size, and format all make a difference on how you read. The older I get the larger print I like. A 6 point print is too small for me, and I now like a 10 point print, many Bibles are 8 point. I don't care for a double column page. All these things make a difference. A good Bible can last the rest of your life. I have a Bible my Grandmother had from 1889, pages back then has acid and fall app art due to age. Now Bible and most books are acid free.

So take your time (bu not too much) and enjoy your search.

• Like 2

A person needs to be willing to read it before it will make a difference.

What's that supposed to mean?

It means that just because a person Gets a Bible -- it Might be left on the night stand or some place of 'honor' Rather than actually being read.

• Like 1

I have the NEW King James Version, which is not all that to my liking, because some of the terms used are not all that clear today.

The reason I was asking is because of that little dustoff about The Bible being inaccurate. That's why I asked which Bible is more accurate. I want a Bible that is as close as I can get to the original text, because such a thing is important to me. It's part and parcell of my salvation.

• Like 2

I have the NEW King James Version, which is not all that to my liking, because some of the terms used are not all that clear today.

The reason I was asking is because of that little dustoff about The Bible being inaccurate. That's why I asked which Bible is more accurate. I want a Bible that is as close as I can get to the original text, because such a thing is important to me. It's part and parcell of my salvation.

There may be some to disagree, Just_me but The New American Standard Bible maybe the closest to what you are looking for. However, unless you are going to really use what ever translation you select, and it has the added sources like Exhaustive Concordances, and Commentaries to aid in really doing research, you might want to look at a translation that will grow with you/ That is why I went with the 1985 NIV and the NASB ad both gave me what I was looking for.

I am sure others have very good advice too. So do not just take my opinion. God bless you dear brother.

What exactly Do you base your salvation on?

I also have a NKJV and it's wonderful --- no Bible is going to make every chapter in the Bible understandable. Or every part of the chapter.

@Sue D.

What do I base my salvation on? I base it on the Idea that Jesus died on the Cross for my sins, but when you have people, who are theologians talking about the inacuracy of the Bible, then where am I to go, excespt into the faith that what I have been told that Jesus had done is not one of the inaccuracies these people speak of.

• Like 2

@Sue D.

What do I base my salvation on? I base it on the Idea that Jesus died on the Cross for my sins, but when you have people, who are theologians talking about the inacuracy of the Bible, then where am I to go, excespt into the faith that what I have been told that Jesus had done is not one of the inaccuracies these people speak of.

I understand what you're saying. You want to get as close to the original text as possible -- the roots of Scripture being in the Greek / Hebrew languages. We 'place our faith' in a variety of places. For One thing -- having the 'faith' in the translator's ability to get the closest possible translation from the original languages into 'your' language. Understanding that no two languages have the same alphabet and the alphabet is what language is based on. Lots of times there won't be an exact translation -- word for word -- from one language to another. There Have been a few posters who've tried to tear down our trust in the Bible -- those people are Not theologians. God's Word Still stands no matter What language it's in. The translators are Trying to get the best possible translation. They are well-educated men and women.

The Bible / God's Word is the very best place // Only reliable place to put our trust in. The 'idea' is the Fact that Jesus Christ Did come to us as the Son of God -- To die on the cross for our sins And that He rose again bodily from the dead. And His rising from the dead has made our salvation possible. It proved to the people / us / that Jesus Christ is who He said he was. We need to acknowledge the fact that we, personally Are sinners and Need salvation. That there's no other way -- no good works , nothing we do to earn salvation. It's the gift of God that we personally accept. Thank Him for it.

People who Claim to find contradictions / inaccuracies in God's Word aren't really Trying To understand His Word. They are personally trying to find reasons to Not accept it. They are being misled by satan.

• Like 2

In the past I have picked translations based on what I was listening to or reading. For example, for a long time I was regularly listening to the preaching of a minister who preached from the NIV (1984 version) so I bought one of those so I could read the same text. Then, I began using a daily devotional that used the ESV, so I bought one so I could read that text. If I'm not driving I like to read along in my Bible and I think it's less distracting to be using the same text as the speaker. Since then I have come to favor the ESV for my regular reading but as has been mentioned by many other folks, here and elsewhere, I think there is value in having multiple translations that one can use to see how a passage has been rendered by various translators. I think the easiest way to do this is with some sort of Bible software that can easily display two (or more) translations at the same time making it easy to compare them. https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/how-not-to-argue-about-which-bible-translation-is-best/

Personal preference for me is the NKJV or ESV. My son seems to favor the ESV and then NKJV.

I like the NKJV I read it almost every day.

• Like 1

Staff
@Sue D.

You misunderstood the arguments and allegations. No one here (staff) argues against copyist errors. However, there are no contradictions. I suggest you reread "that" thread entirely. If you find any theologian that says there are theological errors in the bible, take them off your reading list!!! When stating "inaccuracies" one must define what they mean by inaccuracy.