The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship Community Forums

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Just Mike

Which Translation is truly "inspired"?

Everyone has one Bible they really go to first above all the other Bible they have. My first GO TO BIBLE is the New American Standard Bible.

What is the Bible you go to first?

Edited by Just Mike
  • Like 1

Staff
justme said:
Everyone has one Bible they really go to first above all the other Bible they have. My first GO TO BIBLE is the New American Standard Bible.

Which Translation is truly "inspired"? Shouldn't the title of this post be: Which translation do you prefer?

https://www.christforums.org/forum/christian-community/bible-study/bible-translations/10003-poll-question-which-translation

But to answer the question which translation is truly inspired, none.

• Like 6

All are inspired in tha they are guarded by God to be free of doctrinal errors, but the only "pneumatikos" or God breathed SCripture are the original autographs.

• Like 2

I prefer the ESV.

Well having walked with the Lord for over 43 years now, I cut my teeth on teh KJV so that is my default read.

When I study, I use greek and hebrew study aids as well as many english translations.

Being Catholic, I use the Douay-Rhiems or NABRE bibles. I use the Douay-Rhiems if I am in a fancy mood and the NABRE if I am trying to get a really good view on what the verse is actually saying. The two that compare to these in Protestantism would be the KJV for the Douay-Rhiems or the ESV (I would think) to the NABRE. The only difference being that the Bibles I would use contain the Deuterocanonical books such as 1 and 2 Maccabees.

Being Catholic, I use the Douay-Rhiems or NABRE bibles. I use the Douay-Rhiems if I am in a fancy mood and the NABRE if I am trying to get a really good view on what the verse is actually saying. The two that compare to these in Protestantism would be the KJV for the Douay-Rhiems or the ESV (I would think) to the NABRE. The only difference being that the Bibles I would use contain the Deuterocanonical books such as 1 and 2 Maccabees.

You do realize that the Douay-Rheims and the NABRE are translations of translations? And For the OT it is a translation of a translation of a translation?

The NT goes from Greek to Latin to English.

The OT goes from Hebrew to greek to LAtin to English--lots of lost impact because it bounces from language to language to language.

I always go to my KJV

I think it has already been mentioned that no bible version is 'inspired' in the sense of God breathed. They are translations of textual traditions that we believe to be accurate to the original autographs - they are translated through different methodologies and therefore have different strengths and weaknesses - because I favor the byzantine textual tradition and I favor a more literal translation I choose the NKJV for my day to day reading, and it is the church bible version (ie the one from which I preach).

That being said, often it is helpful to read the text in different versions and pause at the different ways certain terms are translated - those are often some of the most insightful moments of bible study.

I think it has already been mentioned that no bible version is 'inspired' in the sense of God breathed. They are translations of textual traditions that we believe to be accurate to the original autographs - they are translated through different methodologies and therefore have different strengths and weaknesses - because I favor the byzantine textual tradition and I favor a more literal translation I choose the NKJV for my day to day reading, and it is the church bible version (ie the one from which I preach).

That being said, often it is helpful to read the text in different versions and pause at the different ways certain terms are translated - those are often some of the most insightful moments of bible study.

In Bible colleges / Seminaries a person learns about the various manuscripts -- I never paid any attention to that. When I was growing up , the KJV was the only one available that I was aware of -- with it's Scoffield notes at the bottom of the page. And it was available in dark blue or black. And Mr. Scoffield's notes were considered almost as inspired as the text. Then some years ago, the music director and myself got into a brief conversation regarding the KJV and the New KJV -- and the manuscripts used -- older compared to newer ones. To me and probably lots of people -- manuscripts don't really matter. It's all God's Word.

I've Also found it interesting to compare the wording of various versions. And there are those who will 'shout' -- different words Must mean 'contradiction'. or 'changing God's Word' -- I simply 'smile' and figures that 'they' are simply looking for an excuse to disregard what God's Word Is saying.

• Like 1

I don't know - how the bible I hold in my hand came to be in my hand - and I can trace the words it contains back to the source material - those are very important things to me - both fascinating and necessary issues to have got to grips with :D

I've placed my faith in the fact that those who translated from the original languages to what we have Now -- did so because they Wanted to give us the best possible translation. And knowing that no two languages have the same alphabet which means that some languages Won't have word for word translations. And the translators work with the different cultures and figures of speech , etc.

"I've placed my faith in the fact that those who translated from the original languages to what we have Now -- did so because they Wanted to give us the best possible translation." That is true most of the time, but there are some translations, such as the New World Bible produced by the Jehovah's Witnesses, that were produced to promote a specific doctrine. They should not be trusted.

• Like 2

Which is one reason why it is so important to 'know' how the bible you hold in your hand came to be in your hand - to separate it out from those written with a less then God honoring motive.

• Like 2

@theo -- well -yes, of course, I'd agree with you with That.

@rb -- I'm referring to the more 'main-line' versions -- NAS, ESV is the newest one that I'm aware of.

One church we'd considered used a paper-back Good News Bible. We didn't go back.

When the new NIV came out -- immediately word was out that it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. It apparently is 'gender neutral'.

So there you go Sue, you are taking an interest in where the Bible you hold in your hand comes from and it got to you.

Sure do -- mine came as a result of translators who did their very best to translate from the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic into English so that I could read and understand it. And if I were in most any other country with different languages -- I could have it in That language as well. (my sister helps edit / translate college level courses from English to Brazilian Portugese. She and family spent 40 some years in Brazil and proper grammar is her 'thing'.)

The KJV was in the 'king's English' that was used at that time in history. The language has changed a bit since then. There are those who love the older English and won't use any other version. And that's fine. And there are lots of us who like the more up-to-date use of English. It's God's Word with no additions or subtractions -- we are Not to take any portions Out just because we don't like them or add to because 'we' get knew ideas.

Interestingly, the English of the KJV was 100 years out of date - the way pronouns were used in 16th Century is more a reflection of the French language in that period then English language of the KJV

That IS an interesting bit of information. I spent many years using the KJV and don't anymore -- the NKJV is just fine. Also use some of the others, also.

There are some folk who have strong, misinformed views regarding KJV.

Staff
On 2/15/2018 at 1:30 PM, nolidad said:

You do realize that the Douay-Rheims and the NABRE are translations of translations? And For the OT it is a translation of a translation of a translation?

The NT goes from Greek to Latin to English.

The OT goes from Hebrew to greek to LAtin to English--lots of lost impact because it bounces from language to language to language.

I just notice this.  It is all wrong.

The Douay-Rheims is a translation of a translation.  The Douay-Rheims is a translation of the Vulgate which was a translation of the Hebrew O.T. and the Greek N.T.  But the O.T. is not a translation of a translation of a translation.  The Vulgate used the Hebrew text.

The NABRE (i.e. New American Bible Revised Edition) is not a translation of a translation.  The NABRE is a translation of the  Hebrew O.T. and the Greek N.T. into English.  Although it should be understood that translators will consult the LXX when it come to the Hebrew texts but that is nothing odd or new.

Nope!

Many translations into English come from the Hebrew text.

The LXX is a translation of the Hebrew text into Greek and there are English translations of the LXX.

As pointed out above, Jerome's Vulgate was a translation of the Hebrew O.T. and the Greek N.T.  He did not translate the LXX for the Vulgate.

On 2/13/2018 at 6:57 PM, Just Mike said:

Reference editions of Bullinger's "Companion Bible," and the Jerusalem Bible.  My personal opinion is that if you combine the footnotes, margin notes, and appendixes to both, you have got it pretty well covered!

• Like 1