The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
William

How Do You Know the Bible Is True?

Staff

How do you know the Bible is true?

That’s an excellent question because so much is at stake in the Christian faith in terms of the truthfulness of Scripture. The Bible is our primary source of information about Jesus and about all of those things we embrace as elements of our faith.Of course, if the Bible isn’t true, then professing Christians are in serious trouble.

I believe the Bible is true. I believe it is the Word of God. As Jesus himself declared of the Scripture, “Your word is truth.” But why am I persuaded that the Bible is the truth? We need to ask a broader question first. How do we know that anything is true?

We’re asking a technical question in epistemology. How do we test claims of truth? There is a certain kind of truth that we test through observation, experimentation, eyewitness, examination, and scientific evidence. As far as the history of Jesus is concerned, as far as we know any history, we want to check the stories of Scripture using those means by which historical evidence can be tested—through archaeology, for example. There are certain elements of the Scripture, such as historical claims, that are to be measured by the common standards of historiography. I invite people to do that—to check it out.

Second, we want to test the claims of truth through the test of rationality. Is it logically consistent, or does it speak with a “forked tongue”? We examine the content of Scripture to see if it is coherent. That’s another test of truth. One of the most astonishing things, of course, is that the Bible has literally thousands of testable historical prophecies, cases in which events were clearly foretold, and both the foretelling and the fulfillment are a matter of historical record. The very dimension of the sheer fulfillment of prophecy of the Old Testament Scriptures should be enough to convince anyone that we are dealing with a supernatural piece of literature. Of course, some theologians have said that with all of the evidence there is that Scripture is true, we can truly embrace it only with the Holy Spirit working in us to overcome our biases and prejudices against Scripture, against God. In theology, this is called the internal testimony of the Holy Spirit.

I want to stress at this point that when the Holy Spirit helps me to see the truth of Scripture and to embrace the truth of Scripture, it’s not because the Holy Spirit is giving me some special insight that he doesn’t give to somebody else or is giving me special information that nobody else can have. All the Holy Spirit does is change my heart, change my disposition toward the evidence that is already there. I think that God himself has planted within the Scriptures an internal consistency that bears witness that this is his Word.

Source: https://www.ligonier.org/blog/how-do-you-know-bible-true/

• Like 3

(2 Timothy 3:16, 17) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

As I grow in Godly wisdom it becomes more and more evident that FAITH is in fact not a thing that all persons possess....

(2 Thessalonians 3:2) . . . for faith is not a possession of all people. 
In having the ability to accept the bible as true and inspired, one must have faith that there IS a creator. An intelligent spirit person that is the Sovereign of the Universe. Also one should come to recognize that the Creator, or the Almighty God of the Universe, has the only legitimate/legal right to rule mankind.

• Like 3

More than anything I believe it's true by faith. God's Holy spirit bears witness to mine that it's true. 

• Like 4

I think that "I believe it's true by faith" is a good answer and not trivial.  If I accepted the Bible by proof, it would be a long suspicious battle trying to prove it wrong, trying to ferret out contradictions and probably never trusting it to be true. The Bible is not like a mathematical proof or a list of logical lessons.  It is a story and you believe it or not.  I don't find it logically or practically hard to believe, though honestly there are questions I have that remain without a solid answer.  The Spirit bears witness that we are sons of God, and the witness extends to the Bible.  Somehow, that witness is rock solid and is also connected solidly to faith.  

• Like 2

I believe it is true based on faith and reason (Isaiah 1:18). 

As far as the reason part, DNA has a property that cannot be explained by natural processes. Locked securely inside the double helix structure of DNA is a wealth of information in the form of precisely sequenced chemicals that scientists represent with the letters A, C, T, and G. In a written language information is communicated by a precise arrangement of letters. In the same way, the instruction necessary to assemble amino acids into proteins are conveyed by the sequences of chemicals arranged along the spine of the DNA. This chemical code has been called the “Language of Life” and it is the most densely packed and elaborately detailed assembly of information in the known universe. 

Additionally, some proteins are formed into highly complex and specific molecular machines which perform functions in the cell.  The machines are irreducibly complex, wherein, if a component is removed the entire system is either degraded or fails.

Furthermore, there is also the fine tuning of the entire universe. There are over 30 constants of the universe which are fine-tuned, such that if these mathematical figures were off by the most smallest fraction of a percent, life as we know it would not exist. The most finely tuned figure is the cosmological constant (energy density of the vacuum of space) which is fine tuned to an order of magnitude of 1:10^120. If that figure was off by that small a value, there would be no life. To give you an idea of the size of that number, there are approximately 10^80 elementary particles in the known universe and there have been 10^16 seconds since the creation of the universe in the Big Bang approximately 13.8 billion years ago. By the way, back to DNA, the probability of building a short functional protein from amino acids is 1:10^164. Just amazing!

I used to be really big into the apologetics of proving the Bible when I was younger.  Now, God's Spirit testifies in me it's His Word.  But I'm very grateful for all the apologetics.  I"m sure there will come a time in my walk with God where I need a little more "concrete" proof and it will be there.

John 7:46

The officers answered, Never man spake like this man. (KJV)

The words of Christ (and of course the rest of the Bible) are just so beautiful. God's word is indeed magnified in accordance with His name (Psalm 138:2).

I believe the Word of God is 100% true as well. Though, I feel that is a curt answer to non-believers when asked. Has anyone read the book "The Case for Christ"? It's pretty good. The man who wrote it was once a non-believer. He set out to disprove God and the Bible. His research led him to believe. I think it's written by Lee Strobel. A majority of my books are packed away till I can build more bookcases. A 6 x 6 doesn't cut it. Soooo many books. Lol. 

Funny how people will believe Cleopatra and others existed, but won't believe in Jesus. There are some documents, sometimes only a few or very little, to prove the existence of these historical characters. But ... there is an overwhelming amount of historical documents/writings that document the story of Jesus; correlating with the Bible. As you know, Kings of ancient times had scribes that documented their regions history. There are even ancient writings from non-believers that documented about Jesus. This book gives factual proof that you yourself can research. It's an easy read. So when someone asks you how you know God's Word is true ... you can give them facts, (Your feelings and beliefs as well. I mean, your hearts gotta show. Right.) Because an answer of  "Well, I just believe it's true" is nice and fine, but to a non-believer it doesn't hold much water. ***Keeping it real.***

• Like 1