SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Faber

The Shema: YHWH encompasses the Lord Jesus (Deuteronomy 6:4; cf. Mark 12:29)

Faber

Many groups who deny the Lord Jesus is God will cite Deuteronomy 6:4 in affirming that there is only one God.

That there is only one God is true, but this passage in no way proves the Lord Jesus is not God. For the very next passage (Deuteronomy 6:5) teaches that the "only one God" is to be worshiped and since the Lord Jesus is properly worshiped this necessitates that YHWH of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus. Besides the worship of the Lord Jesus other areas such as certain appellations and works of His will provide further support that He is YHWH.

I chose to limit myself in citing texts found only within the Book of Deuteronomy and from there I supplied passages where the same idea is used in reference to the Lord Jesus elsewhere. I did this to demonstrate to those who continually misuse this passage (Deuteronomy 6:4) will hopefully see that from within the very same book their false teaching concerning the supreme Deity of the Lord Jesus is without merit.

Deuteronomy 6:4-5 (cf. Deuteronomy 4:35, 39; 32:39; Mark 12:29-30)[*1]

(4) Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!

(5) You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. (NASB)

1a. Believers are to "trust in the Lord" (Deuteronomy 1:32) concerning the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4.

1b. Believers are to "trust in the Lord" concerning the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 in reference to the Lord Jesus (Philippians 1:14; 2:24).

1c. My further comments: The Greek word for "trusting" is peithō. This trust in the Lord entails worshiping Him. One either trusts/worships the Lord or they trust/worship idols.

Philippians 2:24

and I trust in the Lord that I myself also will be coming shortly. (NASB)

Psalm 31:6

I hate those who regard vain idols,

But I trust in the LORD. (NASB)

2a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is properly rendered deomai (pleaded) in Deuteronomy 3:23LXX.

2b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is properly rendered deomai (pray) in Acts 8:22, 24.

2c. My further comments: Joel B. Greene asserts the following: although the identity of "the Lord" to whom Peter advises that prayer be made in 8:22 ("Pray to the Lord"), and the identity of "the Lord" in Simon's reply in 8:24 ("Pray for me to the Lord"), may be seen as somewhat ambiguous, the fact that elsewhere in this scene "the Lord" is explicitly identified by Luke as "the Lord Jesus" (8:16) means that we may assume in the exchange between Simon and Peter throughout 8:14-25 that Jesus is in view (Into God's Presence: Prayer in the New Testament, page 188).

3a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be cleaved/joined unto (Deuteronomy 4:4; 10:20; 11:22; 13:4; 30:20).

3b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is to be cleaved/joined/held fast unto (Acts 11:23; 1 Corinthians 6:17; Revelation 2:13).

3c. My further comments: Concerning Acts 11:23, that a Christian is to remain true to the Lord Jesus with a "resolute heart" corresponds to the command given by Solomon to have their hearts wholly devoted to the Lord (1 Kings 8:61). Notice it was in the worship of other gods that Solomon fell short of this ideal (1 Kings 11:4).

a. Alexander MacLaren: The order is Faith, Love, Obedience-that threefold cord knits men to Christ, and Christ to men. For the understanding, a continuous grasp of Him as the object of thought. For the heart, a continuous outgoing to Him as the object of our love. For the will, a continuous submission to Him as the Lord of our obedience. For the whole nature, a continuous cleaving to Him as the object of our faith and worship. (9th to the last paragraph for Acts 11:23)

http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/mac/acts-11.html

Concerning 1 Corinthians 6:17, the Greek word for "joins" is kollaō. When one joins/clings to the Lord it unquestionably entails Him as the recipient of worship in that it is associated with Him receiving latreuō. Deuteronomy 10:20 reads: You shall fear the LORD your God; you shall serve ("latreuseis" in the LXX) Him and cling to Him, and you shall swear by His name. (NASB - the underlined is mine)

Concerning Revelation 2:13, holding fast to the name of the Lord Jesus corresponds to holding fast to the Lord as found in Deuteronomy 4:4. To hold fast to the Lord means to worship the Lord.

a. John Gill (Deuteronomy 4:4): To the worship of the Lord your God.

https://www.studylight.org/commentar...eronomy-4.html

4a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be to be called upon in prayer (Deuteronomy 4:7).

4b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is to be called upon in prayer (Acts 2:21; 7:59-60; 9:14, 21; 22:16; Romans 10:12-14; 1 Corinthians 1:2; 2 Timothy 2:22; cf. James 5:14).

4c. My further comments: To call upon the name of the Lord refers to worshiping YHWH elsewhere (Psalm 86:6-12; 99:5-6; 116:4; Jeremiah 29:12; Lamentations 3:55-57; Zephaniah 3:9). Now people are to call upon the name of the Lord Jesus as YHWH in worship.

a. J. C. O'Neill: To call on the name of the Lord Jesus was to worship the God of Israel (The Use of KYRIOS in the Book of Acts, Scottish Journal of Theology, Volume 8, Issue 2, c. June, 1955, page 172).

b. Ceslas Spicq: "Let every tongue proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord," that is, God. Such is the object of faith profession and worship: "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved." Henceforth, Christians are those who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that is, who worship his divine majesty and implore his sovereign protection (Theological Lexicon of the New Testament, 2:350, Lord).

c. Those who call on the name of the Lord are referred to as "My worshipers" (Zephaniah 3:10). Thus those who call on the name of the Lord Jesus are His "worshipers."

5a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be to be supremely feared (Deuteronomy 4:10; 6:2, 13, 24; 10:12; 13:4; 14:23; 17:19; 31:12-13).

5b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is to be supremely feared (Acts 9:31; 2 Corinthians 5:11; Ephesians 5:21; 6:5; Philippians 2:12; Colossians 3:22).

5c. My further comments: On Colossians 3:22 Douglas Moo asserts the following: The "fear of the Lord" is, of course, a prominent them in the Old Testament, combing a sense of appropriate awe in the presence of God in submission to his will. But the theme is by no means absent from the New Testament (e.g., 2 Cor. 7:1; 1 Pet. 2:17; Rev. 11:18; 14:7; 15:4; 19:5), where, in a move typical of the "Christological monotheism" of the early church, the Lord is sometimes defined as Christ (Acts 9:31; 2 Cor. 5:11; Eph. 5:21). This is certainly the case here, as the high Christology of the letter to the Colossians as a whole is again brought to bear on the ordinary situation of the Christian household (The Letters to the Colossians and Philemon, The Pillar New Testament Commentary, page 311).

6a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 refers to His people as His possession (Deuteronomy 4:20; 7:6; 14:2; 26:18).

6b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because Christians are His possession (Titus 2:13-14).

6c. My further comments: Since all Christians are YHWH's possession (Jesus being YHWH) it it not surprising that the BDAG (3rd Edition) affirms that God (theos) in Titus 2:13 "certainly refers to Christ" (θεός, page 450).

6d. My further comments continued: For further proof that Paul applied "the great God" in reference to the Lord Jesus in Deuteronomy 10:17 see #20 below.

7a. All things are done in the sight of the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 (cf. Deuteronomy 4:25; 6:18; 9:18; 12:25, 28; 13:18; 17:2; 31:29).

7b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because all things are done in the sight of Him (2 Corinthians 8:21).

7c. My further comments: This proves that the Lord Jesus is omniscient (God).

a. John Gill: the same Lord as before, the Lord Jesus Christ, who is a diligent searcher of the hearts, and discerner of the thoughts, and observer of the ways and actions of all his people.

https://www.studylight.org/commentar...nthians-8.html

8a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is not to be provoked (Deuteronomy 4:25; 9:18; 32:16, 21) for He is a jealous God (Deuteronomy 6:15).

8b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is not to be provoked to jealousy (1 Corinthians 10:22).

8c. My further comments: When defining parazēloō in 1 Corinthians 10:22 the BDAG (3rd Edition) reads: With sharp satire Paul says that God has reason to be jealous if the Corinthians engage in civil feasts where sacrifice is made to mere secondary divinities καὶ οὐ θεῷ (vs. 20), which is designedly ambiguous, referring to either deity generically (a god) or to the supreme deity of biblical tradition. The Corinthians are in effect insulting 'the Lord' (page 763). Notice that 'the Lord' who is both "God" and "the supreme deity of biblical tradition" refers to the Lord Jesus for when the word "stronger" in 1 Corinthians 10:22 is defined it reads: "Of Christ" (ibid., ischyros, page 483).

Just as the Father is "the supreme deity" (ibid., patēr, page 787) who is to be worshiped, the same applies to the Lord Jesus because He too is "the supreme Deity of biblical tradition" = God.

9a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 disciplines His followers (Deuteronomy 4:36; 8:5; 11:2).

9b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He disciplines His followers (Revelation 3:19).

9c. My further comments:

The Father's reproof and discipline is based on His love for us is seen in Hebrews 12:5-6.

My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves loves, and chastises every son whom he receives. (ESV)

The Lord Jesus' reproof and discipline is based on His love for is seen in Revelation 3:19.

Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. (ESV)

Thus, the Father (Hebrews 12:5-6) and the Lord Jesus (Revelation 3:19) areequally God Almighty.

Job 5:17

Behold, blessed is the one whom God reproves; therefore despise not the discipline of the Almighty. (ESV)

10a. The word of the Lord is in reference to the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 (Deuteronomy 5:5; 34:5).

10b. The word of the Lord is in reference to the Lord Jesus as the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 (Acts 11:16).

10c. My further comments: The word of the Lord in Acts 11:16 refers to the words of Jesus in which He spoke before this event (Acts 1:5).

11a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be obeyed by honoring your father and mother (Deuteronomy 5:16).

11b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is to be obeyed by honoring one's father and mother (Ephesians 6:1-3).

11c. My further comments: The phrase, in the Lord (Ephesians 6:1) means "by virtue of spiritual fellowship or union with Christ" (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, en, see part 1, number 6, letter b).

http://biblehub.com/greek/1722.htm

12a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be the only proper recipient of prayer (Deuteronomy 6:5; 11:13).

12b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is the proper recipient of prayer (2 Timothy 2:22).

12c. My further comments: Deuteronomy 6:4-5

(4) Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!

(5) You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. (NASB)

A. My comment: Verse 4 declares that there is only one God while verse 5 quickly connects this affirmation with the fact that since there is only one God then He alone is the proper recipient of prayer.

1. Richard N. Longenecker: There is no commandment in the Jewish Scriptures that says simply "Thou shalt pray!" Rather, what one finds is a verse like Deut 11:13, which calls on Israel "to love the Lord your God and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul." The rabbis of the Talmud asked about this verse: "What kind of service is it that takes place in the heart"? And they answered their own question: "It is prayer!" (b. Ta' anith 2a) (Studies in Paul, Exegetical and Theological, page 33).

2. Moisés Silva: The meaning of worship has been perpetuated in the synagogue. But it is used also of the inner worship of the heart. So it is said that to serve God means prayer (with ref. to Deut 11:13 and Dan 6:11, 16; cf. Str-B 3:26) (NIDNTTE 3:95, latreuō).

3. To love the one Lord from the heart "was central to Jewish worship" (Peter Pett; cf. Matthew 22:37).

http://www.studylight.org/commentari...atthew-22.html

12d. My further comments continued: That Christians are to pray to the Lord Jesus from a pure heart (see 2 Timothy 2:22 in #4 above) demonstrates that He is to be worshiped as the one Lord YHWH of Deuteronomy 6:4-5 and Mark 12:29-30 (cf. Psalm 119:7; 1 Timothy 1:12).

1. Charles Ellicott: When you think how passionately the Hebrews of our Lord’s time clung to that peculiar tenet which their nation had been set in the heart of pagan polytheism on purpose to defend—the truth that God is one; and when you see at the same time how such Hebrews as John, Paul, and Peter came to revere Jesus the Son of God as equally to be worshipped with the Father, and received the invisible Spirit who came at Pentecost as no less truly a Divine Person, you must feel that this new revelation of a Trinity in God left quite unaltered their old faith that God is one. It was a mighty and a blessed addition to their knowledge of Jehovah; but it did not shake what they knew before—“Hear, O Israel: Jehovah our Lord is one Jehovah.” (See "Mark 12:29-31, ii. The Lord is one")

http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/ebc/mark-12.html

13a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be the proper recipient of latreuō (Deuteronomy 6:13LXX).

13b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is the proper recipient of latreuō (Revelation 7:15 cf. v. 10; 22:3 cf. 20:6).

13c. My comments: That the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of latreuō in the passages in Revelation just mentioned see here:

https://www.christforums.com/topic/6234-yes-it-is-proper-to-worship-the-lord-jesus-christ/?tab=comments#comment-35084

14a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is not to be tested (Deuteronomy 6:16). 
14b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus in that He is not to be tested (1 Corinthians 10:9). 

15a. The commandments of the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 are to be kept (Deuteronomy 6:17). 

15b. The commandments of the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus in that His commands are to be kept (1 Corinthians 14:37; 1 Thessalonians 4:2; 2 Peter 3:2). 

16a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is a faithful God (Deuteronomy 7:9). 
16b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is a faithful God (2 Thessalonians 3:3; cf. 1 Corinthians 1:9). 

17a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be the only way in which we should walk (Deuteronomy 8:6; 10:12).

17b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is the only way in which we should walk (Colossians 2:6).

17c. My further comments: It's interesting in noting that the very first instance of the "Almighty" being used in the Bible relates to the worship that is to be rendered unto God by means of our walk - In Genesis 17:1 God told Abraham, "I am God Almighty; walk before Me, and be blameless." (NASB) This "walk" entails "worship." One can either worship the Lord by walking in/before Him or a person can walk in/before false gods by worshiping them.

Jeremiah 7:9

Will you steal, murder, and commit adultery and swear falsely, and offer sacrifices to Baal and walk after other gods that you have not known. (NASB - the underlined is mine)

That we are to walk in the Lord in relation to Jesus Christ in worshiping Him demonstrates that He is the Almighty.

17d. My further comments continued: The Greek word for "serve" in both Deuteronomy 10:12 and Joshua 22:5 is latreuō (LXX) which is the worship due unto God alone. Since the Christian is commanded to "walk" in the Lord Jesus this refers to rendering latreuō unto Him because He is God.

Deuteronomy 10:12

Now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. (NASB)

Joshua 22:5

Only be very careful to observe the commandment and the law which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, to love the LORD your God and walk in all His ways and keep His commandments and hold fast to Him and serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul. (NASB)

Finally, just as one is to walk in a manner worthy of God which would necessitate worshiping Him (1 Thessalonians 2:12) so too one is to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord Jesus which would also necessitate worshiping Him for “such alternative expressions indicate how truly for St Paul the Father and the Son are Persons of the same Order of being” (A. Lukyn Williams in citation of Moule in "Colossians" of the "Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges").

http://www.studylight.org/commentari...ossians-1.html

18a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is the proper recipient of euchomai (prayed) in Deuteronomy 9:20, 26 (LXX).

18b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus in that He is also the proper recipient of euchomai in James 5:16 and 3 John 1:2.

https://www.christforums.com/topic/6234-yes-it-is-proper-to-worship-the-lord-jesus-christ/?tab=comments#comment-35084

19a. The worshipers of the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 are His slaves (Deuteronomy 9:27; 32:36, 43; 34:5).

19b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because His worshipers are His slaves (Romans 1:1; James 1:1; 2 Peter 1:1; Jude 1:1; Revelation 2:20).

19c: My further comments: In the Old Testament a slave of the Lord "applied to individuals who are worshippers of Yahweh, desire to reverence his name or are his humble suppliants...

The very existence of the phrase 'slave of Christ' alongside 'slave of God' in New Testament usage testifies to the early Christian belief in Christ's deity. Knowing the expression 'slave of the Lord' from the Septuagint, several New Testament writers - John, Peter, Paul, James and Jude - quietly substitute 'Christ' for 'the Lord', a substitution that would have been unthinkable for a Jew unless Christ was seen as having parity of status with Yahweh (Slave of Christ: A New Testament Metaphor for Total Devotion to Christ, Murray Harris, page 132, 134).

20a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is the Lord of lords (Deuteronomy 10:17).

20b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus in that He is the Lord of lords (Revelation 17:14; 19:16).

20c. My further comments:

Deuteronomy 10:20 (cf. Deuteronomy 6:13)

Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name. (KJV)

The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is also referred to as the "God of gods" in Deuteronomy 10:17. And in only 3 verses later we see that the God of gods applies to the Lord Jesus for He is to be supremely feared (see #5 above), rendered latreuō (see #13 above), cleaved unto (see #3 above) and worshiped (see #14 above).

20d. My further comments continued: Joseph Thayer cites both Revelation 19:16 and Deuteronomy 10:17 affirming they refer to the “Supreme Lord” (Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, kyrios, page 366). Supreme means “highest in rank or authority” (Webster’s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, supreme, page 1430). Therefore Christ is the “highest” Lord of heaven, while the NIDNTT informs us that God “is the highest (Mk. 5:7; Lk. 1:32; Acts 7:48; 16:17; Heb. 7:1), the great king (Matt. 5:35), the king of the nations (Rev. 15:3)” (2:74, God, J. Schneider). Not surprisingly the TDNT refers the Lord of lords as Jesus' "divine equality" with God (5:273, onoma, H. Bietenhard).

In view of the evidence presented above, "the great God" of Deuteronomy 10:17 is applied by Paul to the Lord Jesus in Titus 2:13 (see #6 above).

21a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be rendered leitourgeō (Deuteronomy 18:5LXX).

21b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is rendered leitourgeō (Acts 13:2).

21c. My further comments: A. T. Robertson asserts the following: Here of worship (prayer, exhortation, fasting). The word liturgy grows out of this use...as Jesus sent the twelve and the seventy in pairs, so here.

http://www.godrules.net/library/robert/robertact13.htm

22a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is worshiped by the firstfruits rendered unto Him (Deuteronomy 26:1-4).

22b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus in that Christians are metaphorically presented as sacrifices to the Father and to the Lord Jesus in worship (Romans 16:5; Revelation 14:4).

22c. My further comments: The Greek word for "firstfruits" is aparchē. The imagery of the firstfruits is also drawn from Exodus 23:16, 19 where worship was rendered unto YHWH.

a. A. T. Robertson: First fruits (απαρχη — aparchē). See for this word 1 Corinthians 16:15; Romans 11:16; Romans 16:5. This seems to mean that the 144,000 represent not the whole, but only a portion of the great harvest to come (Matthew 9:37), not only the first installment, but those marked by high spiritual service to God and the Lamb (Romans 12:1; Hebrews 13:15; 1 Peter 2:5).

http://www.studylight.org/commentari...lation-14.html

23a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 has His Name called upon His believers (Deuteronomy 28:10).

23b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus in that His Name is called upon His believers (James 2:7).

23c. My further comments: The Name was used absolutely for the Lord Jesus elsewhere (Acts 5:41; 3 John 1:7).

a. Bruce Chilton and Jacob Neusner: Finally, we may notice that the "beautiful name" invoked over Christians according to James 2:7 is most likely the name of Jesus invoked in baptism. But it corresponds to a usage in the Hebrew Bible and later Jewish literature, according to which God's ownership of his own people Israel is indicated by referring to them as those "over whom the name of YHWH has been invoked" (e.g., Deut. 28:10; 2 Chron. 7:14; Dan. 9:19). This treatment of the name Jesus as equivalent to the divine name of the God of Israel is a piece with the considerable influence of Joel 2:32 ("everyone who call on the name of YHWH shall be saved"), understood Christologically, in early Christian usage (Acts 2:21, 38, where it is connected to baptism in the name of Jesus; Acts 9:14, 21; 22:16; Rom. 10:13; 2 Tim. 2:22). Once again the implicit Christology is high (The Brother of Jesus: James the Just and his mission, page 135).

24a. People are to turn/return (epistrephō) to the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 (Deuteronomy 30:10; cf. 7:4; 11:16, 28; 31:18, 20).

24b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because people turn/return (epistrephō) to Him (Acts 9:35; 11:21; 2 Corinthians 3:16; 1 Peter 2:25).

24c. My further comments: The Greek word for "turned" is epistrephō. In the Old Testament when one turned to the Lord it encompassed rendering worship unto Him as "the true God" (2 Chronicles 15:3-4).

Psalm 22:27

All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD,

And all the families of the nations will worship before You. (NASB)

This is in sharp distinction from rendering worship unto idols.

Ezekiel 14:6

Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD, Repent and turn away from your idols and turn your faces away from all your abominations. (NASB)

This "turning" to God from idols is also taught in the New Testament (Acts 14:15; 1 Thessalonians 1:9 cf. Acts 15:19; 26:18). Thus when one turns from their former belief (idolatry) to the Lord Jesus means He is being worshiped.

25a. In Deuteronomy 32:3 Moses proclaimed the Name of the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 and ascribed greatness to Him in worship.

25b. Christians are to proclaim the Name of the the one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 to the Lord Jesus (1 Corinthians 11:26; Colossians 1:28; 1 Timothy 3:16) and they are to ascribe greatness to Him in worship (Revelation 5:12).

25c. My further comments: Psalm 29:1-2

(1) Ascribe to the LORD, O sons of the mighty,

Ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.

(2) Ascribe to the LORD the glory due to His name:

Worship the LORD in holy array. (NASB)

By ascribing to the Lord Jesus "glory" and "honor" (timē is the same Greek word in the LXX for "strength" in Psalm 29:1) in Revelation 5:12 echoes the greatness ascribed unto the one Lord (YHWH) in worship (Deuteronomy 32:3).

26a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 will repay (Deuteronomy 32:41).

26b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He will repay (2 Timothy 4:14).

26c. It is noted that Deuteronomy 32:41 relates to YHWH's "justice" while the "righteous Judge" that will also repay Paul refers to the Lord Jesus (2 Timothy 4:8).

That Paul affirmed the appearing of this "Judge" gives further testimony that he was referring to the Lord Jesus in that earlier in this epistle appearing is used in reference to Him in 2 Timothy 1:10 (cf. 2 Thessalonians 2:8; 1 Timothy 6:14). In fact, this appearing is also found within this very same context in reference to the Lord Jesus (2 Timothy 4:1).

27a. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 is to be loved because He hears our prayers (Deuteronomy 6:5; cf. Psalm 116:1). 

27b. The one Lord (YHWH) of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus because He is to be loved and He hears our prayers (1 Corinthians 16:22-23). 

[*1] The Lord Jesus is worshiped (proskyneō) in Mark 5:6 and Mark 14:62 refers to what Daniel spoke of in Daniel 7. Here we see that the Aramaic word for "serve" in Daniel 7:14 is pelach. This refers to worship that is due unto God alone. The LXX appropriately renders the Greek word for it as "latreuō." Since the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of pelach proves He is to be worshiped as God.

a. Andrew Steinmann: The Messiah is likened to "a Son of Man," meaning that he is not like a beast, but a human. However, the context also clearly signals that he is much more than a human. In fact, since he possesses an eternal kingdom (7:14), he is God, who alone has a kingdom that does not end (2:44-45; 6:27 [ET 6:26]; 7:27). His divine nature is signaled as soon as he is introduced as one who rides on the clouds (Dan 7:13). He rules as a human and over all humanity since elsewhere in Daniel , phrases like "all peoples, nations, and languages" are used in royal communications from a human king to his human subjects (3:4, 7. 29; 3:31 [ET 4:1]; 6:26 [ET 6:25]; cf. 5:19. Yet the divine vision reveals that "all peoples, nations, and languages will worship him" (7:14). The book of Daniel consistently condemns worship of any person or thing other than the one true God. Thus the portrayal of the Son of Man in 7:13-14 is of a Messiah who is both human and divine. This matches the claims about Jesus in the NT both in respect to the use of this passage and in respect to the two natures in the Christ...Thus the Son of Man receives the same honor and worship that the Most High receives (see Jn 5:22-23). This is an implicit affirmation of the divinity of the Son of Man - God the Son, the second person of the Trinity (Daniel, Concordia Commentary, page 358-359, 384).

deade

What point are you trying to make here Faber? It looks like you copied and pasted everyone's commentary about the same few verses. Are you attempting to debunk the oneness doctrine? You post is to long and confusing to follow. The Lord said every truth could be established with 2 or 3 witnesses. I am not oneness. I suggest you simplify it and re-present it. :RpS_smile:

Faber
What point are you trying to make here Faber?

See the first paragraph.

If it is too much for you to handle just stick with #12 and #13.

Thanks

deade

What I am deducting from all this is some people have problems with the pre-incarnate Christ in the Old Testament. In distinguishing the plural Elohim from singular YHWH. I don't have any problems with it. Maybe that is why I think your presentation is overdone. I concentrated on #12 & #13, and I see no problem with what you present. Maybe if someone was of the oneness persuasion all those commentaries would be useful. Maybe you are addressing them. Good luck! :RpS_thumbup:

• Like 1

Faber
On 2/3/2018 at 11:14 AM, Faber said:

since the Lord Jesus is properly worshiped this necessitates that YHWH of Deuteronomy 6:4 encompasses the Lord Jesus. 

A true monotheist worships only one God. Those who claim that the Lord Jesus can be worshiped but deny He is God are not monotheists. Many of them are fond of citing Deuteronomy 6:4 in their misguided attempt to deny the Lord Jesus is God, but they are clearly in error in doing so.

The underlined below is mine.

1. New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (NIDOTTE): Inside the covenant circle God demands of his people a completely exclusive worship (cf. 6:4) (3:938, Jealous, H. G. L. Peels). 

2. Richard Bauckham: In the development of Christology in the primitive church, the emergence of the worship of Jesus is a significant phenomenon. In the exclusive monotheism of the Jewish religious tradition, as distinct from some other kinds of monotheism, it was worship which was the real test of monotheistic faith in religious practice. In the world-views of the early centuries A.D. the gap between God and man might be peopled by all kinds of intermediary beings - angels, divine men, hypostatized divine attributes, the Logos - and the early church's attempt to understand the mediatorial role of Jesus naturally made use of these possibilities. In the last resort, however, Jewish monotheism could not tolerate a mere spectrum between God and man; somewhere a firm line had to be drawn between God and creatures, and in religious practice it was worship which signalled the distinction between God and every creature, however exalted. God must be worshipped; no creature may be worshipped. For Jewish monotheism, this insistence on the one God's exclusive right to religious worship was far more important than metaphysical notions of the unity of the divine nature. Since the early church remained - or at least professed to remain - faithful to Jewish monotheism, the acknowledgement of Jesus as worthy of worshp is a remarkable development. Either it should have been rejected as idolatry - and a halt called to the upward trend of christological development - or else its acceptance may be seen with hindsight to have set the church already on the road to Nicene theology (The Climax of Prophecy, The Worship of Jesus, Chapter 4, pages 118-119).

3. James Dunn: Christian monotheism, if it is to be truly monotheism, has still to assert that only God, only the one God, is to be worshipped (Did the First Christians Worship Jesus?, page 146)

4. New International Dictionary of New of New Testament Theology (NIDNTT): It is therefore a necessary consequence of the self-revelation of God which has taken place in Jesus of Nazareth, that the post-resurrection confession of faith should include worship of the ascended One, who now sits at God's right hand, as the original mediator of creation (1 Cor. 8:6; Col. 1:16; Heb. 1:2, 10; Jn. 1:1 ff.) (1:384, Creation, H.H. Esser).
5. The Jewish Encyclopedia (1901) in defining "Monotheism" affirms that it entails the "worshipers of the one God and of Him alone" (See the last sentence of the first paragraph). 
https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/tje/m/monotheism.html

Faber

http://www.21stcr.org/21stcr_commentary/duet-6_4.html

I think it is interesting that Joe Martin when discussing Deuteronomy 6:4 with J. Dan Gill refers to the service (worship) that is due only unto God in Joshua 24:14-15 (5:57-6:47). 

What they come close to affirming but never specifically do here is that no one but God alone is the proper recipient of worship. Since the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of worship demonstrates that He is God. For some reason/s they just can't (refuse to?) make what seems to be such a small but incredibly significant next step for it would obliterate the false jesus they have created for themselves.

Ben Asher
On 2/4/2018 at 1:14 AM, Faber said:

Many groups who deny the Lord Jesus is God will cite Deuteronomy 6:4 in affirming that there is only one God.

Greetings Faber,

You raise, in my opinion, a very salient point well worth taking the time to contemplate!

You certainly have put in a lot of effort to compile a list of comments and verses you believe relate to or address this issue.

I believe, however, that your point would perhaps be stronger if you added a bit of exegesis of Deuteronomy 6:4 and/or examined it in its grammatico-historical context within the canon of scripture.

I do want to reiterate that the point you raise in the title and your opening sentence is a very important one!

• Like 1

Faber

Hello Ben Asher,

Thanks for your comments. I believe Deuteronomy 6:4 stresses the fact that the Lord God is only one Lord.[*1] Connected with this is the fact that since there is only one Lord then He alone is to be worshiped (6:5). The Lord Jesus repeated these truths in Mark 12:29-30. If the Lord Jesus was the proper recipient of worship on just one occasion this would unequivocally demonstrate that He is God.[*2] For the Hebrews were "worshipers of the one God and of Him alone." ("Monotheism" in The Jewish Encyclopedia of the Bible, see the first paragraph, the underlined is mine).

https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/tje/m/monotheism.html

Note the comments by Charles Ellicott concerning the worship properly rendered unto the Lord Jesus as it relates to the Shema: 

When you think how passionately the Hebrews of our Lord’s time clung to that peculiar tenet which their nation had been set in the heart of pagan polytheism on purpose to defend—the truth that God is one; and when you see at the same time how such Hebrews as John, Paul, and Peter came to revere Jesus the Son of God as equally to be worshiped with the Father and received the invisible Spirit who came at Pentecost as no less truly a Divine Person, you must feel that this new revelation of a Trinity in God left quite unaltered their old faith that God is one. It was a mighty and a blessed addition to their knowledge of Jehovah; but it did not shake what they knew before—“Hear, O Israel: Jehovah our Lord is one Jehovah.” (See "ii. The Lord is one" in Mark 12:29-31, the underlined is mine)

http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/ebc/mark-12.html

Finally, both the Old and the New Testaments affirm that only one God ontologically exists (Jeremiah 16:20; Galatians 4:8; cf. Acts 19:26). Any other "god" that man creates for himself to worship only exist as a demonic counterfeit (1 Corinthians 10:19-20). Thus, people may believe they are worshiping Baal, Chemosh, Brahma (Hinduism), etc., but they are in fact involved with satanic worship.

[*1] In addition to Deuteronomy 6:4-5, one of the greatest passages concerning the monotheistic faith of the Bible is found elsewhere in the Book of Deuteronomy.

Deuteronomy 32:39

See now that I, I am He,
And there is no god besides Me;
It is I who put to death and give life.
I have wounded and it is I who heal,
And there is no one who can deliver from My hand. (NASB)

1. Joseph Benson: See now — Open your eyes and be convinced by your own sad experience what vain and impotent things idols are. I am he — The only true, omnipotent, and irresistible God. There is no god with me — As I have no superior, so neither have I any equal.
http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/rbc/deuteronomy-32.html

[*2] The Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of worship on many occasions.

===============================

Edit: My response to biblicalunitarian.

https://www.biblicalunitarian.com/articles/a-new-way-to-translate-deuteronomy-6-4

They assert the following:

1. It is because Yahweh “alone” is God that we can worship him with “all” our heart, “all” our soul, and “all” our might. If we had more than one God, our worship would have to be divided between all the gods we served, and each god would get only “part” of our heart, soul, and strength. In fact, that is what happens with Trinitarians today: they divide their worship of God into the worship of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. But that division of worship is what is expressly forbidden by Deuteronomy 6:4 and Mark 12:29. (11th paragraph)

My Response: Since those from biblicalunitarian deny the Trinity and yet advocate prayer and worship to the Lord Jesus[*1] it is they are who are guilty of dividing their worship between the Creator and their creature-jesus. They do not worship God with "all" their heart, soul and might for to them the Father and the Lord Jesus are two distinct beings. 

Trinitarians face no such insurmountable dilemma.

2. In paragraph #13 they compare the use of "one" as it relates to YHWH in Zechariah 14:9 with that of Deuteronomy 6:4. Notice though that the Lord of Zechariah 14 is used in reference to the Lord Jesus in that He will return to the Mount of Olives (Zechariah 14:4; cf. Acts 1:11) and He will come back with all His saints (Zechariah 14:5; cf. 1 Thessalonians 3:13).[*2] Furthermore, it is well worth noting that the "one Lord" who comes with all of His "saints" is afforded worship (Zechariah 14:16-17) - And even those from biblicalunitarian believe the Lord in reference to Jesus is to be worshiped. Indeed, how does Zechariah elsewhere describe the way in which people will worship the Lord? According to Zechariah 2:11 they will join themselves to Him. So too Christians join themselves to the Lord Jesus in worship (1 Corinthians 6:17).[*3]

[*1] See the following two links:

https://www.biblicalunitarian.com/articles/jesus-christ/can-we-pray-to-jesus-christ

https://www.biblicalunitarian.com/videos/can-we-worship-jesus-christ

[*2] George Milligan: see especially Zechariah 14:5 on which this passage is evidently founded. (see the 3rd to the last paragraph) 
http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/gmt/1-thessalonians-3.html

[*3] See #3 in the OP.

Faber

Judaism 101: G-d is the only being to whom we should offer praise. The Shema can also be translated as "The L-rd is our G-d, The L-rd alone," meaning that no other is our G-d, and we should not pray to any other.

http://www.jewfaq.org/g-d.htm

If the Lord Jesus was the proper recipient of prayer only 1 time in the Bible would prove He is YHWH. The fact that the Bible teaches that He is is the proper recipient of prayer multiple times further strengthens the fact that He is God.