SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
theophilus

Buy a sword but turn the other cheek

theophilus

Jesus gave two commands that on the surface seem to contradict each other.

Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Matthew 5:39 ESV

But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Luke 22:36 ESV

What is the point of owning a sword if you are forbidden to defend yourself against an attacker?

The main reason this seems contradictory is that many people misunderstand what Jesus meant when he said we are to turn the other cheek.

Jesus said that if someone slaps us on the right cheek we are to turn the other cheek. It is an unfortunate fact that most people are right handed. (I consider it unfortunate because I’m left handed and living in a world where everything is designed for right handed people can be inconvenient.) If you are facing someone and hit him on the right cheek with your right hand you will hit him with the back of your hand. You might cause some pain but you can’t do any real physical harm.

The purpose in striking someone this way is to insult him and express contempt for him. There have been cultures in which this act would be considered a challenge to a duel. Today it is possible that the person being slapped will try to kill the other without bothering with the formalities of a duel. Jesus has forbidden us to respond in this way.

The command to buy a sword is easy to understand if you consider the context in which it was made.

And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?”

They said, “Nothing.”

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.”

Luke 22:35-36 ESV

Earlier Jesus had sent the disciples out to preach and heal.

And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. And he said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics. And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. And wherever they do not receive you, when you leave that town shake off the dust from your feet as a testimony against them.”

Luke 9:1-5 ESV

Because they were preaching to Jews they could rely on the Jewish custom of showing hospitality to meet their needs. The territory they preached in was safe enough so that they didn’t need swords. But after the resurrection Jesus was going to send them out into all the earth. They could not be certain of finding people willing to offer them hospitality and they would sometimes need to defend themselves.

Today people use guns instead of swords. A Christian has the right to buy a gun provided he does so legally but we must be careful to use our guns only for defense and not for retaliation.​​

• Like 1

deade

Hi theophilus,

I have tried to tell my fellow believers about Matt. 5:39 for a long time. Most of the churches I fellowship with do not believe in self-defense. They even allow their members to become conscientious objectors. When I first got saved, I kind of took that same stance. God was talking with me while meditating one night, and we were addressing Matt. 5:39. He told me to imagine a certain scenario:

It is about self defense of my household, He said my house was taken over by terrorists; and they were sure to tie up the males to watch as the females (wives and daughters) were raped and killed. Then the males would be killed. If I knew this beforehand, would I do something? I told the Lord that He would have to forgive me; but I would try to stop it from happening——even if it meant deadly force. Then the Lord told me that it would be okay, but I was being a hypocrite. If I could defend my family, I could also defend my country and/or community.

That is when He shared with me about Matt. 5:39: it is like you said, a challenge to a duel. Like aristocrats do with gloves. That is what I shared with my fellow churchgoers, and their allowing their young men to stay out of the military. Needless to say, I did not have much impact. Once a young man from religious group had joined the Marines, and they were getting ready to ship out to battle. He could not ask anything from his church or his parents, leaders in his church, about his concerns. He traveled from Southern California to Oakland, where I was in the mission field, and asked me for advise.

I believe if a soldier is acting on orders that he carries out in a humane fashion, he can stand before God blameless. :RpS_biggrin:

Yours,

Deade :RpS_thumbup:

• Like 1

theophilus
When I first got saved, I kind of took that same stance.

There was a time in my life when I was firmly convinced of that viewpoint. It was before I was saved. I was already a member of a church and was trying to follow the Bible, but since I lacked the Holy Spirit I often misinterpreted it. By the time I was 18 and required to register for the draft I was saved. I seriously considered registering as a conscious objecter but I was no longer certain about that point so I didn't.