SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

Plagiarism

Just Mike

How important is this with to you. If you find someone using material from some sourse that you know its not their original material what as Christians should we do.

A movie that has been nominated for an awrd has been just brought up on these charges.

• Like 1

Innerfire89

They should be called out on their dishonesty and for stealing the credit of someone else's work.

• Like 1

Just Mike

Someone has said there is nothing new, what has been said has most likely been said before. In some degree its probably true.

I would like to bring the topic of Plagiarism to a slightly different point of view that some churches never give much thought about. Copyrighted music. Churches get a song sheet either bought or handed down by someone to say the music director. Because the budget is so tight they can not afford more copies. So they just photo copy more copies of that music sheet. Besides violating the copyright its called Plagiarism especially if its never disclosed who wrote the music.

How many of us has copied music we downloaded? This too has violated the musicians and singers copyright, right?

The Christian Movie industry is suffering because of churches that outright go against BIG BOLD WARNINGS, Showing some recently produced Christian movies within a Church is WRONG, unless that church has paid the fee required to show it. The movie states it is for personal home viewing only, and not to be used for public viewing.

I have watched a church after being alerted that showing a Christian movie in a church was in violation of the law. Yet the person showing at the" Saturday nigh movies at church" refused to listen and has done it for several years.

When there is complete disregard for copyrighted material, which is illegal what should a Christian do? If we saw a paper that was plagiarized in college, would you bring to the attention of someone with authority? As a Christian have witnessed music being used without properly paying for additional copies? Have you watched Christian movies in your church or Christian group knowing it was wrong? How about copied downloaded music.

All these issues hit home at our Christian ethics, don't they? Now I ask you for your thoughts. Have you really given serious thoughts about these issues. When we do the things I mentioned above there is one word for doing these things. STEALING, THEIFT.

• Like 2

just_me
How important is this with to you. If you find someone using material from some sourse that you know its not their original material what as Christians should we do.

A movie that has been nominated for an awrd has been just brought up on these charges.

Thou shall not steal. Plagiarism is stealing from the hearts and minds of he who put forth the effort in creating it.

One question. Isn't not acknowledging and thanking God for the idea not plagiarizing

• Like 2

Innerfire89
Someone has said there is nothing new, what has been said has most likely been said before. In some degree its probably true.

I would like to bring the topic of Plagiarism to a slightly different point of view that some churches never give much thought about. Copyrighted music. Churches get a song sheet either bought or handed down by someone to say the music director. Because the budget is so tight they can not afford more copies. So they just photo copy more copies of that music sheet. Besides violating the copyright its called Plagiarism especially if its never disclosed who wrote the music.

How many of us has copied music we downloaded? This too has violated the musicians and singers copyright, right?

The Christian Movie industry is suffering because of churches that outright go against BIG BOLD WARNINGS, Showing some recently produced Christian movies within a Church is WRONG, unless that church has paid the fee required to show it. The movie states it is for personal home viewing only, and not to be used for public viewing.

I have watched a church after being alerted that showing a Christian movie in a church was in violation of the law. Yet the person showing at the" Saturday nigh movies at church" refused to listen and has done it for several years.

When there is complete disregard for copyrighted material, which is illegal what should a Christian do? If we saw a paper that was plagiarized in college, would you bring to the attention of someone with authority? As a Christian have witnessed music being used without properly paying for additional copies? Have you watched Christian movies in your church or Christian group knowing it was wrong? How about copied downloaded music.

All these issues hit home at our Christian ethics, don't they? Now I ask you for your thoughts. Have you really given serious thoughts about these issues. When we do the things I mentioned above there is one word for doing these things. STEALING, THEIFT.

Those are a few things I guess I haven't realized. Congerations should see the movie at the theatre if they want to see the movie as a group like that or else it would be like all those people just snuck into a theatre without paying. But I'm not sure what to think of a small group watching a movie, a family is also a small group.

The copying of song sheet and books isn't right either, those books are priced to be used by individuals, that's stealing on a large scale yet again.

I can understand that people might not give it much thought and wouldn't do such things if they realized their wrong, but for those that know are just plain thieves.

Another thing I just thought of is church bulletins, I've seen those photocopied in a church before, many time it comes from a company and has photography on the front, to copy that would also be stealing.

• Like 1

Just Mike

Those are a few things I guess I haven't realized. Congerations should see the movie at the theatre if they want to see the movie as a group like that or else it would be like all those people just snuck into a theatre without paying. But I'm not sure what to think of a small group watching a movie, a family is also a small group.

The copying of song sheet and books isn't right either, those books are priced to be used by individuals, that's stealing on a large scale yet again.

I can understand that people might not give it much thought and wouldn't do such things if they realized their wrong, but for those that know are just plain thieves.

Another thing I just thought of is church bulletins, I've seen those photocopied in a church before, many time it comes from a company and has photography on the front, to copy that would also be stealing.

Most all Christian movies has a fee you can pay to show it to your church, its not very much, and its often for a years viewing for that brand of movies. For a small church its so small. But its the ethical right thing for Christians to do.

Edited by Just Mike
added an "s" for movies
  • Like 1

ChatterBox
Thou shall not steal. Plagiarism is stealing from the hearts and minds of he who put forth the effort in creating it.

I tend to view plagarism with very low tolerance. I have a friend who works in publishing and a major problem they have is people copying their publishing house's books and then selling them as ebooks with a different author name to make money. It's basically theft from the author and the publisher, and I know of authors who stopped writing because of it.

Unless something is in the public domain or released for free use (e.g. Creative Commons) the creator should receive compensation for their work as they request.

• Like 1

Pouty Puppy

Hey, it got Al Gore a Pulitzer! :) He stole scenes from the movie, "The Day After Tomorrow", for his travesty of a fear mongering film, "An Inconvenient Truth".

It shows how frail the Pulitzer vetting committee is when considering nominees.

Plagiarists are lazy thieves. They steal other peoples intellectual materials in order to have the material as a means of bringing them glory or praise for the content.

I was a member of believe it or not a Christian forum not long ago where this was common among two members. Then someone brought it up because these two members would copy whole pages of other peoples material and then paste it at that forum.

After a few people made notice of this theft the members in question continued. But they instead changed a word here or there in order to make those searches not so easy.

One thing that was common then in their stolen work was when they'd have materials copied from Apologetic websites. The Bible verses used would be abbreviated. The lazy spirit in these two thieves was so profound that they would not even edit the abbreviated verses in their stolen work. They'd copy and paste as is.

That remained one of the greatest identifiers in their continued abuse of other peoples work.

Thou shalt not steal. Plagiarists do that. When they do so repeatedly even when they are made aware in that public sphere the public reading them know what they're doing, and they do not stop, the spirit of Christ is not in them.

Instead, they example they need Christ. Until then they are easily ignored. Because their pride is greater than their humility.

• Like 1

Just Mike

In Seminary we have a visiting missionary, who was teaching a class. A man I knew turned in a paper, that contained large amounts of material (several pages exactly as written a the book) that he stated as his own. I knew it was from a book we both used in a class two years ago. I went to the missionary and proved it to him. The missionary did nothing at the time as let the student go all the way to the end of the class and failed him. The student went and complained to the Missionary about why he got an F grade. That's when the missionary toled him that it was either an F grade or he would turn him into the Seminary Dean or Students and he would have expelled him. I believe he learned a lesson.

Cheating. stealing, lying, all describes what Plagiarism is.