SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Hidden Manna

The curse of the law

Hidden Manna

Many believe the law of Moses itself is “the curse” mentioned in scripture, but scripture tells us Gods law is holy, just, and good in Romans 7:12 “Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.” So what was the curse of the law? The curse of the law came in by 2 ways, the first is shown here in Deuteronomy 27:26Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen.”

The first part of this curse has to do with sin as it is written in Romans 7:10-11And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.” Again we see the law was ordained unto life, but the curse came when man being yet flesh could not keep “all the words of the law to do them”, and that is because of the weakness of his fleshy nature and sin. So who’s the bad guy here, the law of Moses, or sin? If you answered sin then you would be correct.

Now for the second part of the curse, which is the swearing to the oath. It is written Galatians 3:10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.”

After Moses had read the law, all the blessings and all the curses, the people then bound themselves to the oath by agreeing to keep everything that was written in the law. The word oath in Hebrew can also be defined and shown as the word curse in scripture. And swearing to an oath can also be shown as binding ones soul to a curse; as in Nehemiah 10:29 “They clave to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the Lord our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes;”

And being unable to keep this oath we see the consequences in Daniel 9:11 “Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him.”

And here is where the curse came in by swearing themselves to the oath in Numbers 30:2 “If a man vow a vow unto the Lord, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.”

And so being unable to perform the vow to God to keep the whole law, because of the weakness of the flesh and because of sin, then the curses mentioned in the law were put into effect.

Which is why Jesus said Matthew 5:33-37 “Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.”

And here again also in James 5:12 “But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.”

And a word to the wise, if you ever have to go to court and are asked to forswear yourself to an oath, or any other vow or oath for that matter…don’t do it!

Let me add these thoughts also. The curse of the law is sin, Christ was made to be sin for us (made a curse for us). The law was weak because of our fleshy sin nature, which is the enmity from the beginning that had to be removed from our hearts and minds by the Spirit of God. But the law itself was not sin ( Romans 7:7) sin is sin.

But even still the outward letter of the law is not of faith being written outwardly and not written inwardly in our hearts and minds by the Spirit. But so too sin is not of faith either. Think about it, is a sinner abiding in the faith of Jesus Christ? Hardly. But now think about this, if we remove the law from the world do you also remove sin from the world? No, because sin was even in the world before the law. So the best way to remove sin in the world is for people to stop sinning right? This is also why Jesus Christ came into the world to condemn sin in the flesh, to destroy the body of sin in us, and to make us free from the bondage of sin.

And guess what happens when you remove sin? You also remove the need for a law which condemns sin. For it is written the law was made for sinners and for the unrighteous; not for those who are righteous. So we conclude, to remove the law is not to remove sin; but to remove sin is to also to remove the curse of the law, which condemns sin.

But make no mistake; there is still condemnation for sin even without the law; as it is written, those who believe not in Jesus Christ are condemned already. Also Jesus Christ condemned sin in the flesh; and if you are still walking in the flesh, then you are also still under the condemnation of sin. That is why it is written, there is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

And the only way to pass from the flesh to Spirit, and from death to life, is by being born again of the Holy Spirit in Christ.

In Christ, Mark

nolidad

The law was not the curse- but produced the curse!

The law was never meant to save but to drive Israel to Christ. As Paul wrote in Galatians tha tit was a schoolmaster.

Galatians 3:13

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

The law also is a ministration of death not life as Paul wrote in Corinthians!

The law if understood properly is to show that one is a sinner before God and needs a redeemer- so the law can lead people to Christ and the free gift of grace,

Hidden Manna
The law was not the curse- but produced the curse!

I would have to disagree, because it is sin that produced the curse of death. This curse brought on by sin is shown in the beginning in Genesis, as this curse by sin came before the law of Moses.

Genesis 2:17 "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Notice the mention of the curse in Genesis 3.... [h=1]Genesis 3:14-17(KJV)[/h] 14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;"

I believe the Tree of knowledge, to know good from evil, was given to us as a sign of the natural law.

Romans 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. (like the tree of knowledge to know good from evil)

When we ate from the tree of the law (knowledge to know good from evil) we then were made aware of our sins, and then our eyes were opened to sin, and we then saw our own nakedness; just like Adam and Eve.

That knowledge of what we once thought was good for us became death to us because of sin, just as the Lord said; the day you eat of it, surely you shall die. (being already dead in our trespasses)

Romans 6:23;"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

It was not the fruit of the tree of knowledge that was death to us, just as the law of God is not sin or death.( Romans 7:7) But rather it was the sinful nature that worked in our members by the desires of the flesh that produced fruit unto death. Romans 6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

*Note the law of sin and death is not the same as the law of God.

Just as by the first Adam sin entered into the world and death by sin, we also are all firstborn flesh and under the law of sin and death. Romans 3:9 (for all have sinned)

Romans 7:5;"For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, (law of sin) did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death."

So even though we once thought the natural law was life to us, we being evil by nature were deceived, and the natural law (the knowledge to know good from evil) became death to us by reason of our own sins. For without the law sin was dead.

Romans 7:11;"For sin taking occassion by the commandment, decieved me, and by it slew me."

Just as the serpent by the lie (sin) took occasion by Gods commandment, and deceived woman and man, and therefore the sin of disobeying the commandment (law of God) brought forth the wage of sin, which is death.

But thanks be to God for the mercy He showed us in the spiritual Tree of Life, which is offered to all of us who believe in the remission of our sins through the offering of Jesus Christ our Lord; the very Word of Life made flesh.

Genesis 3:22 “And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

nolidad

I would have to disagree, because it is sin that produced the curse of death. This curse brought on by sin is shown in the beginning in Genesis, as this curse by sin came before the law of Moses.

Genesis 2:17 "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Notice the mention of the curse in Genesis 3.... [h=1]Genesis 3:14-17(KJV)[/h] 14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;"

I believe the Tree of knowledge, to know good from evil, was given to us as a sign of the natural law.

Romans 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. (like the tree of knowledge to know good from evil)

When we ate from the tree of the law (knowledge to know good from evil) we then were made aware of our sins, and then our eyes were opened to sin, and we then saw our own nakedness; just like Adam and Eve.

That knowledge of what we once thought was good for us became death to us because of sin, just as the Lord said; the day you eat of it, surely you shall die. (being already dead in our trespasses)

Romans 6:23;"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

It was not the fruit of the tree of knowledge that was death to us, just as the law of God is not sin or death.( Romans 7:7) But rather it was the sinful nature that worked in our members by the desires of the flesh that produced fruit unto death. Romans 6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

*Note the law of sin and death is not the same as the law of God.

Just as by the first Adam sin entered into the world and death by sin, we also are all firstborn flesh and under the law of sin and death. Romans 3:9 (for all have sinned)

Romans 7:5;"For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, (law of sin) did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death."

So even though we once thought the natural law was life to us, we being evil by nature were deceived, and the natural law (the knowledge to know good from evil) became death to us by reason of our own sins. For without the law sin was dead.

Romans 7:11;"For sin taking occassion by the commandment, decieved me, and by it slew me."

Just as the serpent by the lie (sin) took occasion by Gods commandment, and deceived woman and man, and therefore the sin of disobeying the commandment (law of God) brought forth the wage of sin, which is death.

But thanks be to God for the mercy He showed us in the spiritual Tree of Life, which is offered to all of us who believe in the remission of our sins through the offering of Jesus Christ our Lord; the very Word of Life made flesh.

Genesis 3:22 “And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Well as Paul wrote where there is no law there is no sin!

Paul also wrote that he would not have known sin except through the law!

Only 2 people villated the "natural law" then--Adam and Eve.

1 Cor. 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Sin is strengthened by the Mosaic Law!

You do not understand teh purpose of the law!

2 Corinthians 3:7

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

The law is holy just and good- but god brought it out not for us to be saveds or grow by- but to fully expose man as a hopeless sinner and drive us to Christ!

Galatians 3: 10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Hidden Manna

No, that's not what he said. He said sin was in the world even before the law, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Romans 5:13 "For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law."

So the curse of sin was in the world even before the law. The law just exposed the sin that was already there, Jesus did the same....

John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.

Just as the law was given to Moses by the Spirit of Christ...

Galatians 3:17

And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

So again, the law itself was not the curse, sin is; as the law is not sin (Romans 7:7). The law just exposed sin for what it is, and the law also condemns sin to death; which is why Paul called it the ministration of condemnation and death.

Zion

Amen. That is why the blood of Jesus is far greater than the sin of little Adam. We should be grace conscious not sin conscious.

Ransol

No, that's not what he said. He said sin was in the world even before the law, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Romans 5:13 "For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law."

So the curse of sin was in the world even before the law. The law just exposed the sin that was already there, Jesus did the same....

John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.

And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

So again, the law itself was not the curse, sin is; as the law is not sin (Romans 7:7). The law just exposed sin for what it is, and the law also condemns sin to death; which is why Paul called it the ministration of condemnation and death.

You said the law itself is not the curse, sin is.

Actually, there are curses listed in Deuteronomy chapter 28 for not keeping the commandments perfectly.

We have been redeemed from those curses IF we are not under the law. But I think many Christians still hold themselves under the law, at least to some degree, and don' realize it. Which is one reason those curses of Deuteronomy 28 are still in their life. I mean it's everywhere in the church: sickness, disease, depression, and such.

We are not SINNERS because we sin, we SIN because we are sinners. That's our nature as Sons of Adam. But He gives us a new nature, His. So now, we have both natures just like Jesus did.

Randy

Does not the NT have curses and blessings in a manner of speaking? A balanced gospel message.

• Like 1

Ransol
Does not the NT have curses and blessings in a manner of speaking? A balanced gospel message.

I guess you could argue that, but "the curse of the law" is the specific curses God gave for not following the law perfectly. He also made it possible for them to cover their short-comings by sacrificing animals so they would not get the curses.

nolidad

I guess you could argue that, but "the curse of the law" is the specific curses God gave for not following the law perfectly. He also made it possible for them to cover their short-comings by sacrificing animals so they would not get the curses.

Sorry ransol- but the law was never given to save anyone! It was given to just Israel alone (aka the Mosaic Law including the ten written in stone!) It was to show Israel they could not measure up so they would choose Christ when the time of faith came!

Randy

The curse was punishments for transgressions. For those who refuse to repent and reject Gods salvation found only in Christ Jesus that guilt remains. Punishment for transgressions. People are judged according to what they have done.

nolidad

Romans 4:15 King James Version (KJV)

15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Read Galatinas 3 again- the mosaic covenant cannot disanul the Abrahamic covenant which is righteousness is by faith- not by the deeds of the law!

Galatians 3:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

the curse of the law is to condemn not to make righteous

Romans 3:

19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

The law was never designed to make anyone righteous- but to condemn people and lead them to Christ!

!

nolidad
The curse was punishments for transgressions. For those who refuse to repent and reject Gods salvation found only in Christ Jesus that guilt remains. Punishment for transgressions. People are judged according to what they have done.

And it was only given to the nation of Israel! Never to gentiles as gentiles and when Christ established the Church at Pentecost- the law was banished for anything! remember the Law is not just the Ten- but all 613 commandments. They were given as a unit! We break them apart for descriptive purposes but when the Jews say the Torah- it is all 613 commandments!

Remember the ten in stone are a ministry unto death- not life!!!!!

• Like 1

Randy

The law that God was given so people would know what sin was. It also set apart the people God chose to separate from the peoples of the whole world who still lived in darkness and ignorance.

God found fault with the people not the law.

Gal 3:19

Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions, until the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made, and it was put in place through angels by an intermediary.

You asked about the curse of the law not the purpose of the gospels. Jesus came to save.

John 1:17

For the law was given through Moses; GRACE and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Sin is Sin not matter who the people are a violation of Gods commands -repentance, (a pledge to choose the right and reject the wrong), is a sign of true salvation. Ref: Zacchaeus a chief tax collector who came to Jesus by faith made such a pledge

1 corth 6:9-11

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with mena 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you WERE But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.