The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
CharlesC

Hard life

I am a member of the Bland Christian Church, in Bland MO.. My life was fairly difficult, through my early years of life. Died at birth from a Rh complication. Grew up sickly and at age 16, had a severe stroke, that still today, don't have complete use of my right side. Parents were not religious and I became religious at 19. I was saved and sprinkled. Later at age 30, I was baptized at North Park Baptist Church in Moberly MO.. As I read my Bible more and more, I became interested in finding out more about God. I than met a Christian woman whom I married. She had 3 boys, that I later adopted. She was married before, but her ex husband had an affair, so she divorced him. We been in church, fairly faithfully. But we love church and honoring God. I am disabled still, but the main thing, is I try to accomplish everything I can do. Help people out.

• Like 4

I pray that God will use your wonderful testimony to bless others and bring Him glory. It is amazing how Jesus can bring us through such difficult times, and praise God that it reveals His strength and power to change us and sustain us. I also pray that God will continue to grow your faith and your family's as well, and lead you into all truth. God bless.

• Like 1

I am a member of the Bland Christian Church, in Bland MO.. My life was fairly difficult, through my early years of life. Died at birth from a Rh complication. Grew up sickly and at age 16, had a severe stroke, that still today, don't have complete use of my right side. Parents were not religious and I became religious at 19. I was saved and sprinkled. Later at age 30, I was baptized at North Park Baptist Church in Moberly MO.. As I read my Bible more and more, I became interested in finding out more about God. I than met a Christian woman whom I married. She had 3 boys, that I later adopted. She was married before, but her ex husband had an affair, so she divorced him. We been in church, fairly faithfully. But we love church and honoring God. I am disabled still, but the main thing, is I try to accomplish everything I can do. Help people out.

Oh my dear Charles C. You have had a up hill climb on your journey through life. I so appreciate you sharing this. I am so glad you have three sons, and a wife that both can share you love with and grow in Christ..

I don't know where Bland Missouri is, but I do know where Moberly is. I live about 1,500 feet from Lake of the Ozarks. We first moved to Missouri in 1985 from Arizona, to go the MidWestern Baptist Theological Seminary. IN North Kansas City, MO.

This is such a wonderful state to live and raise children in. We are now retired and Missouri is a very affordable place live and retire in. Missouri has the nations third lowest price for gasoline. Housing is very reasonable compared to many other places For us, this is were God planted us and we bloom here.

Edited by Just Mike
spelling error
  • Like 1

We live about 50 miles from the Lake of the Ozarks. We live in Belle MO... Bland is about 3 miles from Belle, headed toward Owensville. Maries County MO is our county, and Vienna is the County seat. To get to the Lake, we take HWY 42 West. Bland is about 3 miles from Belle.

Ya, most places in MO are cheap. I was born and raised in California. San Jose.. I moved back here with my parents at 19. I mean, places went cheap in auctions. Like $2000 for a small one bedroom house, right behind 7-11 in Moberly in 1986. Cheap.. A place in California would sale for $150,000 in 1984. One would need $2100 to rent a house. House rent was $700 per month, first and last months rent was expected and security deposit. Missouri is very cheap, compared to most States.

• Like 2

I was raised in CA. form 1946 until my wife and I left for the second time in 1983. I believe with all my heart and what God showed us that was His plan. All (of our almost 49 years of marriage) we were of Gods direct will for our lives. Missouri has been the ice cream topping on our places to live. So we are almost neighbors. that's amazing. We built our home on almost 4 acres of virgin land. Its not for wimpy kids that's for sure. Much more work than most would imagine.

Have you ever been to Bennit Springs fishing for trout? Its my favorite, Its so relaxing.

• Like 1

I was raised in CA. form 1946 until my wife and I left for the second time in 1983. I believe with all my heart and what God showed us that was His plan. All (of our almost 49 years of marriage) we were of Gods direct will for our lives. Missouri has been the ice cream topping on our places to live. So we are almost neighbors. that's amazing. We built our home on almost 4 acres of virgin land. Its not for wimpy kids that's for sure. Much more work than most would imagine.

Have you ever been to Bennit Springs fishing for trout? Its my favorite, Its so relaxing.

No, bought a small reel fishing pole, to go trout fishing, but have went yet. We went to Meramec Springs near St James MO. It is a State run trout sponding area. Allowed fishing. Can catch 12 trout per day. Limit.. We just walked around and viewed historical sites and picniced under trees. Walked to the Spring and looked at the clear water with trout swimming around. Looked at the fishery. Cool.. We mostly like catfishing. Catch a big one. We have a friend whom owns a giant lake with 40 lb cat in it. She always invites us to fish her lake. Wants us to take the big ones home. We usually only pull out 10 to 15 pounders. She lives in Bland. Went to Brandon, a few years ago with another friend. Went to Silver Dollar City, stayed in their time share room, went to see biblical story of Jonah, at the Sound and Light Theatre. Went on the Showboat also. New Years eve.. All are Christians. And Christians can have fun too. People think of Christianity as we are always stuck in a church, worshipping and singing praises to our Lord. But it is not always the case. I mean, that is our life, but it is also making friends, helping others in need, sharing God.

• Like 1

I love catfishing, but the part of the lake we live near just does not like us. We just feed those pesky fish, once in a while I catch a blue gill or a very small bass. But trout fishing we do good at. Bennit Springs is a State park and state run has a trout farm. Trout season is March 1st, but we wait until April to go, too many fishing makes it too easy to get hooked by a careless caster.

• Like 1

I did fish for trout in California. I was about 14 and we caught some trout, in a creek. Once we went out to the ocean, and went up a shallow creek. A man had caught a big salmon with his hands. We was about age 12 so the game warden did not require a fishing license. Ya, we love fishing. It is relaxing and I sometime us it, to chat with God. Love viewing His marvelous creation. So much life. I can't see how people can deny God, when looking at all the different types of plant life, insects, animals, fish..

Sorry, I did not get in contact with you before now. I got called by Ben, invited out to his house, to play dominoes and Skipbo. Played til 10:30 pm. Ben is a Christian brothers.

I like feeling young. So I ride a 250cc scooter I bought new in 2008. Here recently it has a gas problem. Could not start it. The gas problem, is the gas is not getting to the carburetor. So I bought a new Carb to make engine run like new. Last year, I replaced transmission and stator. Ran good for a while, until gas problem. Bought a rebuild Carb kit, but noticed a Carb for $29 on eBay, so bought it. I can use the rebuild kit on my old one and thus have it like new as a spare. It does 68 MPH on level ground, gets 65 MPG, and is a China made scooter. Actually it is a copy of the Honda Helix engine. CN250 engine.

Tonight, we have to go to 50 and older, with our church family. They eat a meal together, 50 and up, to socialize with each other. Usually pick out a restaurant in the Bland, Belle, Rolla, or Linn area, and eat a meal. But it is just a fun way to spend the evening with Christian brothers and sisters.

We are getting our apartment ready for a guest. It is a 2 bedroom apt.. We have a friend from Slater coming up here, for about 1 week. She lost her husband recently, and is lonely. So we are getting the place cleaned up for her. Got to much stuff, that amounts to trash. LOL. Most bought at auctions.

We have two small chiwawas and a Amazon parrot. The Amazon will live to be around 70 years old. But I will let you go for now. Take care, brother in Christ. I too was a Baptist.

• Like 1

Charles C. How would you like to meet sometime, perhaps do some trout fishing at a State Park, like Bennit Springs sometime in the Spring.

I've been a Baptist as far back as I can remember. My wife and were involved in Calvary Chapel for a couple of years.

We wanted to know how the Vineyard worked and how they conducted music and worship and that was an experience we will never forget or repeat. We went to the Assembly of God Church In Springfield, MO for a worship and concert, the concert was a Christmas special, it was outstanding.

We are thinking we would like to go the the special play in Branson, Mo to see one of their Biblical stories, perhaps sometime in May.

We know The Lord brought and Planted us where we live. It is so marvelous to be where the Lord wants you to be.

I think what you are doing for this recent widow is exactly what Jesus calls us to do, how wonderful of you and your wife to show such love and kindness. God bless you and your wife, Charles.

• Like 1

Hi Charles C and justme,

I thought I would share some of hard life:

I was born in Los Angeles, CA, USA in 1946. They torn down the hospital, I was born in, within a year; to put in the first freeway: the Harbor Freeway. My father died 6 months before I was born in Nov. ’45, from kidney failure. My older sister died 1 month before I was born, from being hit by a car. That left 2 brothers and my mother. She bought an unfinished home in the Watts district of L.A. (South Central).

While carrying me, she was in 3 car wrecks and was shot full of morphine each time. I was born asthmatic and anemic. Every time I got around lint or dust my breathing would lock up. My mother thought she would go crazy and became convinced she was going to die. She took us three boys down to a Catholic church and had us baptized to gain some god-parents. My mother said she never bonded with me as she couldn’t take it if she did and I died.

Meanwhile, my maternal grandmother bought the house next door to ours. She had 11 kids she raised and 8 were still living at home. Luckily, there were 2 teenage aunts living there that kind of took over mothering me. 14 people living in 2 2-bedroom homes, talk about fun.

It gets worse: in 1948 my oldest aunt in Indiana and her 5 kids moved in with us. These were big kids, two of the oldest were older than two of the youngest uncles next door. The two oldest cousins living with us were female, so they took over mothering me. The two aunts that had the job were dating and getting ready for marriage. As some of the aunts and uncles were moving out on their own, the two youngest cousins move in with Grandma.

By my third year, I was doing well and getting over my asthma. Things were starting to get more normal with me. My next oldest brother, David, was 2 years older than me and the closest human being relationship I had. I followed him everywhere. One day we were playing in the backyard. I was sitting on some bed springs right behind the house and David was about 20 feet away playing with some matches. He walked up to an abandoned old Model T pickup without a gas cap. He held up a lit match toward the open gas spout and asked “should I?” Dumb me, I just shrugged my shoulders. He dropped the match and when the fumes caught the flame it was like a blow torch. His shirt and hair caught afire and he ran out of the backyard. My male cousin was with a couple of uncles, they were building a tandem bicycle beside the house. The cousin ran after David and rolled him to put out the fire. The last time I saw him, he was all black and whimpering on my mothers lap waiting on the ambulance. Needles to say, I started suffering from PTSD from that day forward. I don’t even think that was classified as yet, but that is what it was. I’ll have more on my youth later.

Yours,

Deade

• Like 1

Charles C. How would you like to meet sometime, perhaps do some trout fishing at a State Park, like Bennit Springs sometime in the Spring.

I've been a Baptist as far back as I can remember. My wife and were involved in Calvary Chapel for a couple of years.

We wanted to know how the Vineyard worked and how they conducted music and worship and that was an experience we will never forget or repeat. We went to the Assembly of God Church In Springfield, MO for a worship and concert, the concert was a Christmas special, it was outstanding.

We are thinking we would like to go the the special play in Branson, Mo to see one of their Biblical stories, perhaps sometime in May.

We know The Lord brought and Planted us where we live. It is so marvelous to be where the Lord wants you to be.

I think what you are doing for this recent widow is exactly what Jesus calls us to do, how wonderful of you and your wife to show such love and kindness. God bless you and your wife, Charles.

I justme,

I live in Grove, Oklahoma not too far from you fellas.

• Like 1

Justme,

Ya, that would be nice to meet you and your wife. I hear, the Sound and Light theatre, is showing Sampson, this Spring. Moses is going to another theatre. It really is quite amazing, how they put on the shows. In Jonah, they carried out a big whale, carried on big poles and waved it above the audience. Made to room dark, so the poles no people would be seen. Then fish on poles swam around. Looked so cool. They use live animals too. It takes a lot of creativity to put on these shows.

I am not a man of the cloth. I am just a Christian. Might also call me a Disciple. See, any truly born again Christian, is a follower of Christ. So we have the responsability to obey Christ and show others the way. My friend Ben is no preacher neither,but baptized his oldest daughter on Thanksgiven. Just trying to carry out what Jesus commands. I thought this was neat. I was baptized on Nov 26th 1995, at North Park Baptist Church in Moberly MO by Howard Smith. It meant a lot to me. I can't recall the date, I was saved. It was in 1984, in a Christian Church, and I was sprinkled verses baptized. I went this route, because had no other clothes, had still been recovering from the stroke, and it was chilly out doors. But the Baptist said, you really need to be baptized to become a member of this church. So I agreed, because it was what Jesus done. I was welcome to worship there, but needed baptizing.

Brothers in Christ..

• Like 1

deade; Your early years were traumatic. I imagine as you moved on from where you left off on your post, had to be very difficult. I am interested to learn more.

MY early years from where I was born in 1945, in Rochester, NY. My dad was at an Army Air-Core base I think it was called Cal-Areo near Onterio CA. I was raised their from 1946 to 1953. Then we moved to Lancaster, CA. I was there with my parents until I enlisted in the Navy in 1964. I was stationed at Lemoore Naval Air Station near Fresno, CA, and then transferred to Crows Landing Auxiliary Naval Air Station. From there I went Oak Knowl Naval Hospital where I spent 9 months in the Hospital. My wife and I finally left California for the second and final time in 1983.

We have not once regretted leaving California. With what we see and read, Christians living there need our prayers.

• Like 1

Justme,

Ya, that would be nice to meet you and your wife. I hear, the Sound and Light theatre, is showing Sampson, this Spring. Moses is going to another theatre. It really is quite amazing, how they put on the shows. In Jonah, they carried out a big whale, carried on big poles and waved it above the audience. Made to room dark, so the poles no people would be seen. Then fish on poles swam around. Looked so cool. They use live animals too. It takes a lot of creativity to put on these shows.

I am not a man of the cloth. I am just a Christian. Might also call me a Disciple. See, any truly born again Christian, is a follower of Christ. So we have the responsability to obey Christ and show others the way. My friend Ben is no preacher neither,but baptized his oldest daughter on Thanksgiven. Just trying to carry out what Jesus commands. I thought this was neat. I was baptized on Nov 26th 1995, at North Park Baptist Church in Moberly MO by Howard Smith. It meant a lot to me. I can't recall the date, I was saved. It was in 1984, in a Christian Church, and I was sprinkled verses baptized. I went this route, because had no other clothes, had still been recovering from the stroke, and it was chilly out doors. But the Baptist said, you really need to be baptized to become a member of this church. So I agreed, because it was what Jesus done. I was welcome to worship there, but needed baptizing.

Brothers in Christ..

Our son his wife, and two older kids went and saw Moses, They were thrilled. So we too want to go.

My wife and I are are disciples for life. We had an opportunity to prepare for service, and to serve Christ Jesus in four Baptist Churches. I don't think Baptists have a "man of the cloth" but we just have those called to serve Jesus Christ, in serving others. But in reality that is what we all do in the normal traffic pattern of our lives. We all walk by FAITH.

That's cool to remember who baptized you and where. You might be able to write the Church and they should have a record of when you were baptized. I frogot the date of my baptism, wrote the church and they had the record, January 13, 1957. I was so amazed they could go back that far, that was last year when I called and asked.

Edited by Just Mike
added material
  • Like 1

Deade here with more of my early years.

After losing my brother to the fire, that left just me and my 5 ½ years older brother. We were quite the opposite in our early years. He was a momma’s boy and I was very independent. I could run all around the Watts ghetto of L.A. as much as I wanted. All my mom wanted was for me to call her and let her know my whereabouts. I met a Hispanic boy in kindergarten and we become best friends. He was slightly younger and a little underdeveloped, so he pretty much just followed me. Many times, I would stay overnight at his house. I became close to his mom, dad, sister and 3 brothers.

With my 5 uncles, next door, along with my cousin and brother growing up in this rough neighborhood; we gained quite a reputation as a bunch of fighters. All these males insisted everyone do their part for that reputation.

I was in the fourth grade when this older black boy, named Shirley, started harassing me. I think he resented the fact that he lived only 5 houses from me on the same street. He was tall, lanky and strong. He was always picking on me at school. One day, he confronted me in front of his house while I was carrying a bunch of books. He stuck out his long arms and started rolling them like a riverboat paddle. I held onto the books and did not fight back. He ended up bloodying my nose. I walked toward the house holding my nose. Three of my uncles and the male cousin were in the driveway working on a car. They stopped me when I got to them. One uncle said: “What’s the matter?” Of course, they already knew as they had been watching. I started explaining that I could not stop my nose from bleeding. They said to pinch it and hold my head back. Then I started explaining that I was jumped. They asked if it was just one boy. I said: “Yes, but he is a lot older and taller.” They said: “The bigger they are, the harder they fall. We have a reputation to uphold and you can’t let this stand. Go back down there and finish this.” I then got mad at them, threw down my books and stomped back down there. I got to the boy’s house and said: “Shirley, get out here!” He came out the screen door and said: “Oh, you want some more?” He immediately started rolling his arms again and I’m thinking “how am I to get past those?” Then it came to me to take my left arm to sweep both his out of the way and step in with a right cross. The next thing I know he is sitting on his butt crying: “mamma, mamma!” He ran into the house and never bothered me again. I deduced my uncles knew what they were doing from that time on. I’ll have more on my youth later.

Edited by deade
Added text

I was raised in San Jose. We considered ourselves little rebels, when growing up. We were 13 years of age. But we never really fought. We would run the streets at night. We also hung out with Mexicans. I was once in a fight, with a black boy. He stole my bike and I did not stand down. So we sat there and duked it out. He finally conceded, that the bike was not worth it. Once was threatened by this kid, because he could not figure out how to make friends without threatening. I was intimidated by him. But eventually I told him if he wanted to fight, we can fight. That one can't claim to be a friend with threats. He began to apologize and realized he was wrong. I did not fight often, but if it came to a fight, well I would. Needed a reason to fight. Did not cause trouble to be causing trouble.I was not the strongest on my block but fought for principles. I don't enjoy fighting no one. Fighting has good outcomes, if for the right reasons.

• Like 1

I was raised in San Jose. We considered ourselves little rebels, when growing up. We were 13 years of age. But we never really fought. We would run the streets at night. We also hung out with Mexicans. I was once in a fight, with a black boy. He stole my bike and I did not stand down. So we sat there and duked it out. He finally conceded, that the bike was not worth it. Once was threatened by this kid, because he could not figure out how to make friends without threatening. I was intimidated by him. But eventually I told him if he wanted to fight, we can fight. That one can't claim to be a friend with threats. He began to apologize and realized he was wrong. I did not fight often, but if it came to a fight, well I would. Needed a reason to fight. Did not cause trouble to be causing trouble.I was not the strongest on my block but fought for principles. I don't enjoy fighting no one. Fighting has good outcomes, if for the right reasons.

Seems like replanted California boys are the only posters here. lol

Yes... It was not innocent always. We were considered hoodlems too. We stole as children. I say this to my shame. I mean, we noticed this cigarette machine was open, with no one in sight. We stole the cigarettes and money. $5 dollars we got each and 2 packs of cigarettes. I than went to the store, called Aphabeta and stole 10 packs of Bubble Yum gun. Got caught and told not to enter the store, no more. After that, I began to feel bad. Quit shop lifting. We did get into some silly fights, but not many. We did not like fighting. Didn't steal from each other. I recall the others stole a bike. Well, this man offered a reward. So we said, we found it and collected the reward. Yes, I was their. Didn't have nothing to do with taking the bike, but was there, thus guilty still.

• Like 1