SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Debelto

If God is truly in control, why is there poverty?

Debelto

This is a very good question, and it is one that offers a wide range of answers. Some people say that God is at fault, “If God is really a God of love, and if he really cares about people, then why does He allow poverty?” Other people blame the people who are struggling with poverty, “They are lazy and never work. They could get themselves out of poverty if they simply tried to get a job.” Which group is correct?

“If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.” (Deuteronomy 15:7-8 NASB)

God tells us to not be hardhearted and tightfisted, but rather to open our hands and freely help others. Why? Because God wants us to experience His blessings as we generously bless others.

“You shall generously give to him, and your heart shall not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all your undertakings.” (Deuteronomy 15:10 NASB)

Think of it this way: God graciously blesses us with all that we need for the day. In fact, God also blesses us with more than we need for the day. Why? So that we can not only enjoy what He has graciously provided for us, but also that we may be able to share the extra blessings with others who are in need. The result? The people are blessed, we are blessed, and most importantly God is blessed! Do you see the cycle? We receive blessings into our hands, we enjoy the blessings that are in our hands, we open our hands and share the extra blessings with others, these people are blessed by what they have received in their hands, and God is blessed by all of this because we are sharing that which has all come from His hands.

“For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, ‘You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.” (Deuteronomy 15:11 NASB).

Why is there still so much poverty in the world if we see what Scripture commands us to do? After all, God does His part by daily blessing us with more than we need for the day. The poor people are there to receive the extra blessings that God has graciously given to us. However, are the same receiving hands becoming open giving hands to help and bless others? Or, do we see many of those receiving hands staying closed and tightfisted? Perhaps we should all take a few moments and reflect on our attitude when it comes towards the needy in our land. And while doing so, perhaps we should also ask ourselves a very challenging question, “What is truly the condition of my hands?”

Today’s Prayer: Dear Lord, You are truly worthy of all thanksgiving and praise. Please forgive me when I do not obey Your Holy Word of Truth. I am truly grateful for the gift of salvation, and I want to show that gratitude by opening my heart and hands to help others. Please grant me the heart of compassion to faithfully represent you. In Jesus Name, Amen.

For further reading: Deuteronomy 15

revelation13

Thanks for that. It is well stated. I believe that God will often not do what it is in our power to do, such as helping the poor because we are to continue the work that Jesus did (John 14:12). The Bible says "And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." Luke 17:20,21. And "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" 1 John 4:20.

Many people will blame God for the evils that exist on this earth, but God has given us a work to do as His representatives. Ultimately Satan is to blame because he is the originator of sin, but we cannot be held guiltless if we see what our duty is and neglect to do it. May God help us to show the love of Christ and to not give this world a reason to blaspheme God by our hypocrisy (Romans 2:21-24). God bless.

Just Mike

Lets turn this around.

Why do people not want to do what God has told them what would result in His blessings?

Why do people prefer darkness rather than Light? When given the choice to love or hate God why do people hate God.

When God so loved the world that He sent His one and only Son, Jesus Christ to die for their sins, and give them eternal life, why do people reject this love?

This all gets down to the fact people love to sin and rebel against God and His Son Jesus Christ.

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

revelation13
Lets turn this around.

Why do people not want to do what God has told them what would result in His blessings?

Why do people prefer darkness rather than Light? When given the choice to love or hate God why do people hate God.

When God so loved the world that He sent His one and only Son, Jesus Christ to die for their sins, and give them eternal life, why do people reject this love?

This all gets down to the fact people love to sin and rebel against God and His Son Jesus Christ.

Any thoughts?

That is the mystery of iniquity (2 Thes. 2:7). May we all the more see sin as exceedingly sinful and remember that it was our sin that put Jesus on the cross. God bless.

• Like 1

Innerfire89

God's discipline is for our good, weither it be poverty, illness, or whatever could be counted as hardship. Poverty is also the result of sin by the one who's suffering or because of someone else's greed.

God also breaks us down so we can see that we need him.

​​​​​​

​​​

ChatterBox
This is a very good question, and it is one that offers a wide range of answers. Some people say that God is at fault, “If God is really a God of love, and if he really cares about people, then why does He allow poverty?” Other people blame the people who are struggling with poverty, “They are lazy and never work. They could get themselves out of poverty if they simply tried to get a job.” Which group is correct?
The other reason the poor will always be with us is that much of poverty is relative to the society around them. Someone defined as poor and needy in the Western world in general has a much better standard of living than someone poor and needy in the third world.

Absolute poverty means that someone does not have the basics for survival, and is thankfully rare in the West. Relative poverty means having less than your neighbour, but still enough to survive (often defined as an income under half the national average: in this case, basic maths shows why there will always be people in poverty). In a case of absolute poverty, I don't know anyone who hesitates to help out. I know many who hesitate to help in cases of relative poverty as the people in question still have heat, food, water, light, etc. and sometimes a better standard of living than the people they are asking for help from.

• Like 3

Just Mike
God's discipline is for our good, weither it be poverty, illness, or whatever could be counted as hardship. Poverty is also the result of sin by the one who's suffering or because of someone else's greed.

God also breaks us down so we can see that we need him.

​​​​​​

​​​

Over the years I have often had to search if what I was experiencing was discipline or was this just pure suffering that comes from the ageing process. When I searched my heart and asked the Lord to revile to me the source of my suffering He always has. When I was enduring suffering not because of direct sin I had committed, I now think to my self as Romans 8:29 says I am being conformed to the likeness of His son.Suffering pain for me, knowing it has a purpose makes my life have much more meaning.

• Like 1

just_me
lets turn this around.

why do people not want to do what god has told them what would result in his blessings?

why do people prefer darkness rather than light? When given the choice to love or hate god why do people hate god.

when god so loved the world that he sent his one and only son, jesus christ to die for their sins, and give them eternal life, why do people reject this love?

this all gets down to the fact people love to sin and rebel against god and his son jesus christ.

Any thoughts?

ego!

• Like 1

The led

I think that if the human correctly uses the talents which are given him by God, he won't be in poverty in the most of cases.

Innerfire89
I think that if the human correctly uses the talents which are given him by God, he won't be in poverty in the most of cases.

That sounds dangerously close to being a prosperity Gospel.

• Like 1

just_me

I would ask this one question. Why are we confusing poverty as a lack of finances when true poverty is a lack of hope.

Christ gave us that hope and his love has given us the fuel we need to get beyond anything, since through that love we know whatever we go through, we will end up in the same place. At his side.

• Like 1

Sue D.
I would ask this one question. Why are we confusing poverty as a lack of finances when true poverty is a lack of hope.

Christ gave us that hope and his love has given us the fuel we need to get beyond anything, since through that love we know whatever we go through, we will end up in the same place. At his side.

Because there Are two kinds of poverty -- spiritual And economic. People in 3rd world countries don't know anything but their poverty. No concept of anything else. And We really Don't Want to know that kind of poverty. There are countries who's leaders have no problem keeping their people cold, hungry and penniless. That way they can't rebel.

• Like 1

just_me

@Sue D.

I would say that these people know only that their is a struggle in life. Poverty is a concept of the brought on by the wealthy who see how these people live wonder how they can do it. It's the same concept as Adam and Eve. Would it have even entered the minds of these first to human beings that they were intellectually impoverished by not knowing Good from Bad, if the Devil hadn't brought up that concept and placed it in the ear of Eve?

nolidad

“If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.” (Deuteronomy 15:7-8 NASB)

God tells us to not be hardhearted and tightfisted, but rather to open our hands and freely help others. Why? Because God wants us to experience His blessings as we generously bless others.

“You shall generously give to him, and your heart shall not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all your undertakings.” (Deuteronomy 15:10 NASB)

Think of it this way: God graciously blesses us with all that we need for the day. In fact, God also blesses us with more than we need for the day. Why? So that we can not only enjoy what He has graciously provided for us, but also that we may be able to share the extra blessings with others who are in need. The result? The people are blessed, we are blessed, and most importantly God is blessed! Do you see the cycle? We receive blessings into our hands, we enjoy the blessings that are in our hands, we open our hands and share the extra blessings with others, these people are blessed by what they have received in their hands, and God is blessed by all of this because we are sharing that which has all come from His hands.

“For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, ‘You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.” (Deuteronomy 15:11 NASB).

Why is there still so much poverty in the world if we see what Scripture commands us to do? After all, God does His part by daily blessing us with more than we need for the day. The poor people are there to receive the extra blessings that God has graciously given to us. However, are the same receiving hands becoming open giving hands to help and bless others? Or, do we see many of those receiving hands staying closed and tightfisted? Perhaps we should all take a few moments and reflect on our attitude when it comes towards the needy in our land. And while doing so, perhaps we should also ask ourselves a very challenging question, “What is truly the condition of my hands?”

Today’s Prayer: Dear Lord, You are truly worthy of all thanksgiving and praise. Please forgive me when I do not obey Your Holy Word of Truth. I am truly grateful for the gift of salvation, and I want to show that gratitude by opening my heart and hands to help others. Please grant me the heart of compassion to faithfully represent you. In Jesus Name, Amen.

For further reading: Deuteronomy 15

Many good answers so far! I will throw my 2 cents in.

Simple answer is sin! God has given man the ability to have all live "decent" material lives. But greed, corruption, laziness and all the rest of the sins keep people in poverty.

God provided for the needs of all- it is man who channels it wrongly. God is in control and He is allowing this imbalance to exist until the appointed time when He acts!

• Like 1

Sue D.
@Sue D.

I would say that these people know only that their is a struggle in life. Poverty is a concept of the brought on by the wealthy who see how these people live wonder how they can do it. It's the same concept as Adam and Eve. Would it have even entered the minds of these first to human beings that they were intellectually impoverished by not knowing Good from Bad, if the Devil hadn't brought up that concept and placed it in the ear of Eve?

The wealthy and the poor. How to use what is at hand. If everyone was at the same intellectual level -- what level would that Be?! Lots of different personalities -- various talents. There will always be the business Owners and the floor sweepers. Kind of like the 'church' and spiritual gifts. If everyone wanted to sweep the floor but no one wanted to work with the finances. We'd have lots of clean floors , but maybe no money. Churches will probably always have wealthy members and poor members. Just how it is.