The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
ChatterBox

'Modest' clothing causes an outcry?

There was a piece in the news this morning that I thought might be interesting to people here. A large chain has launched a line of clothing - covered shoulders, longer hems, higher necklines, that sort of thing - and called it "Modest" clothing. Personally I think it makes a nice change to have some actual variety (and something that looks warm to wear!).

However there's been an outcry from women who say that by calling the line Modest, it brands women who wear more revealing clothes as 'immodest'. I'd be curious about other opinions.

• Like 2

Ideology is something else, isn't it. When the fashion industry has brainwashed so many people into believing that skin is actually a piece of apparel instead of part of the body then you get these misgivings.

• Like 3

Truth hurts I guess. They could just make their own line and call it hooker gear so they could feel more modest, but they probably are already dressed like hookers.

• Like 1

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"440","width":"440","data-attachmentid":59312}[/ATTACH]

That was an awesome post. :RpS_thumbsup:

• Like 2

My wife and watch the FOX new in the morning, and ABC and CBS at night. Here is what we see over and over. Men have a suit wit a tie, long pants to match. Women will be dressed with as hirt with skin showing on the shoulders. cleavage showing, skirts about 6 inches above the knee. So here is a woman dressed like its very hot and a man dressed like its almost freezing. Why, because they know showing a woman dressed sexually pleasing holds the interest od viewers. Sex sells everything.

Often we change the channel, just because we find the women dressed immodestly.

Here is a question. How many of you reading my post here go to "R" rated movies? Ever leave a movie when the movie shows nakedness, a couple having sex? Why don't you leave. Jesus said that watching this type of ludeness is adultery.

• Like 1

My wife and watch the FOX new in the morning, and ABC and CBS at night. Here is what we see over and over. Men have a suit wit a tie, long pants to match. Women will be dressed with as hirt with skin showing on the shoulders. cleavage showing, skirts about 6 inches above the knee. So here is a woman dressed like its very hot and a man dressed like its almost freezing. Why, because they know showing a woman dressed sexually pleasing holds the interest od viewers. Sex sells everything.

Often we change the channel, just because we find the women dressed immodestly.

Here is a question. How many of you reading my post here go to "R" rated movies? Ever leave a movie when the movie shows nakedness, a couple having sex? Why don't you leave. Jesus said that watching this type of ludeness is adultery.

Remember who was at the helm of Fox News when they hit the ground. It was Bill Aiers and he was removed from his post a while ago for sexual harassment. A lot of people on the right love Fox News, but the dress polacies for the women working there is a direct insult to their viewers and denigrating to their emploes

• Like 3

Remember who was at the helm of Fox News when they hit the ground. It was Bill Aiers and he was removed from his post a while ago for sexual harassment. A lot of people on the right love Fox News, but the dress polacies for the women working there is a direct insult to their viewers and denigrating to their emploes

The women keep wearing the same attire, dresses so short they have to keep their knees crossed every second. But most all women dress this way on TV. With the movement of never touching a female, you would think this would be the time to say no longer will they dress like woman of the evening.

• Like 1

How refreshing. There is an old saying "The truth hurts" or if the shoe fits. At least they have the courage of their convictions and are not afraid to confront their culture with the truth.

• Like 1

The women keep wearing the same attire, dresses so short they have to keep their knees crossed every second. But most all women dress this way on TV. With the movement of never touching a female, you would think this would be the time to say no longer will they dress like woman of the evening.

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP - SARCASM ALERT, SARCASM ALERT! Please stand back at a distance of at least 50' or you will be in jeopardy of being struck by high intense waves of irony

WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

You forget. Women are victims that can't be held accountable for anything because they are the quote/unquote victims that are not subject to the quote/unquote repressive ideals that the right calls modesty. - These women are not dressing provocatively , they are embracing their femininity :RpS_bored::RpS_bored::RpS_bored:

• Like 1

And let's not forget that with more women in the nation as compared to men that that qualifies them for minority status,and as a minority they can't have their feelings hurt.

• Like 2

The opposite of modest is immodest. So why the outcry except that they have had to come to terms with their own lack of modesty.

The opposite of reality is ideology and the left has made a religion out of their ideals. Why do you think they us terroristic activities to silence those that think differently.

The outcry comes from the indignity of being called to task for their own indignant actions. It doesn't matter how correct the caller is. It isn't the approved correctness. That's where politics get thrown into the mix.

• Like 1

Don't ever go to R rated movies or television for that matter. Today's R is yesterday's X

Yep and never go see a movie remake of a 1960- 1970 tv show. Hollywood tends to take all the nostalgia out of them, sex them up on steriods and then wonder what happened when they floop, because the executives didn't even think to find out why they were popular. They just wanted to see breasts, butts and see something blow up. I just shake my head.

Yes also their is no creative imagination of substance, the thought is if it was a hit once it will be a hit again, hence all the remakes of 60's and 70's TV shows and remakes of old movie standards. Yes either they are too stupid to figure out why these remakes fail or they know and just don't have the integrity to admit it.

• Like 1

Yes also their is no creative imagination of substance, the thought is if it was a hit once it will be a hit again, hence all the remakes of 60's and 70's TV shows and remakes of old movie standards. Yes either they are too stupid to figure out why these remakes fail or they know and just don't have the integrity to admit it.

What we have in Hollywood is a cadre of elitists snobs who think of us in the same way we think of them.. Fortunately for us, every time these people go off the deep in it is plastered all over the media, so we know where they get their ideas from. All they can tell about us is we condemn what they delight in and rather than learn something from that, they fall back on their own prejudices and dismiss the experience as if it were our failure instead of theirs.

Edited by just_me

Yes the radicals of the 60's have politicized all of life.

When you are addicted to activism, your are just as much of a slave to it than you would be if your drug of choose were Heroine. The politicize everything because because all things to the is politics. They fight their so-called "Good Fight" not to win anything, but to put purpose in their lives by doing something without actually accomplishing anything. Why else do you think they shout others down. They are nothing more than bullies. They don't want to place any real effort in anything, just demand others give them what they want while they sit back and feel vindicated at other peoples expense.

It would be interesting to get some women added to the discussion. Any thoughts ladies?

So -- the large chain store is offering a line of clothes for women called "Modest" clothing.

Men's clothing usually consists of long slacks and dress shirt for office work.

I'm speaking from the aspect of being in my late 60's and a conservative person. I've had all of two office jobs in my life. One was a conservative office with good office manager. Everyone dressed modestly. One of the gals' work ethics wasn't worth much. But she dressed modestly.

Another job -- well -- I interviewed for it and didn't take it -- the manager's office had girlie pics all over the walls.

The other office job was again conservative in nature. No problem. I was let go after a few weeks or so. I think I was trying to be too honest.

The modesty issue with women's work clothing. Maybe it depends on the geographic area a person is working in. Some bosses expect some cleavage / short skirts with their female employees. Lends some interest during the day.

Back when my husband was working with a school district -- he was a computer tech -- lots of times teachers would have computer problems and he would go to fix them. One of the teachers was wearing a sweater and short skirt. She'd bend over and she wasn't wearing any under garment. He was looking down at the computer and saw lots more than he wanted to see. It wasn't bothering her any. Then one year the long blue-jean skirts came into style. All the teachers were wearing them. That was a good thing.

Women can be as provocative as men can be 'looking'.

Some years there have been only short skirts to buy. Some of the styles for women's dresses / blouses -- I mean -- who makes up those styles? We have Walmart and Beall's local. Haven't been to a mall in a long time -- none are close by. And the styles for slacks for women. Really. Sometimes women wear slack outfits to work for modesty sake -- they'd wear them to church and get a 'look' -- what - no dress or skirt? Work was 5 maybe 6 1/2 days a week. Church was mainly 1 hr or two per week. So the work-place clothes took priority. And lots of times the dress-lacks were more modest.

Now-days how many parents pay that much attention to how their teen girls dress. How many teens are in church? And how much modesty is observed on college campuses. I was taking some college classes years ago. During the summer lots of women students were wearing tank tops and bermuda shorts to classes. Well -- some short-shorts, too.

So -- mostly we wear what's available in the stores -- and who decides That?! And the styles might be okay -- but lots is try clean only -- expensive -- and the colors / stripes/ plaids / like who is going to wear that stuff. Lots of times it's the Hispanic or Black women.

Some women make their own clothes -- but patterns and fabric are also expensive. And time consuming.

So -- modest // immodest -- clothing manufacturers // designers -- who are you making clothes For?!

• Like 1

Re: old movies or TV reruns of Perry Mason, Andy of Mayberry. Back to the world of no computers, the old fashioned phones, modest dressing. No foul language. Kind of refreshing.

• Like 2

What we have in Hollywood is a cadre of elitists snobs who think of us in the same way we think of them.. Fortunately for us, every time these people go off the deep in it is plastered all over the media, so we know where they get their ideas from. All they can tell about us is we condemn what they delight in and rather than learn something from that, they fall back on their own prejudices and dismiss the experience as if it were our failure instead of theirs.

Deade chiming in here.

I raised two girls, the oldest is 52. When I see these youngsters dressing like hookers, I cringe. But looking around at the public, it appears more normal than ever. We are truly growing more evil and are in the last days.

Yours,

Deade

• Like 1

o -- mostly we wear what's available in the stores -- and who decides That?!

It sounds like this was why the chain launched it - because just about everything else was see-through blouses that need layers, low necklines, etc. which really isn't suitable for an office. I ended up wearing men's shirts one year (I bought the unisex-looking ones with double buttons) because my job at the time involved physical as well as office work and the ladies' blouses available just didn't survive. Crepe and warehouses don't mix.

• Like 3

Re: old movies or TV reruns of Perry Mason, Andy of Mayberry. Back to the world of no computers, the old fashioned phones, modest dressing. No foul language. Kind of refreshing.

Yes it was a different time. I confess to waxing nostalgic for a different more moral time. We have become a neo-barbaric society.