SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

Should Reformed Baptist accept a persons Baptism?

Sue D.
William how do you come to the conclusion that the UNIVERSAL CATHOLIC includes unbelievers? If those who reject Jesus Christ go to Hell how can those be in any church?.

@ William -- yes, in the O.T. the male babies were circumcised eight days after birth. Mainly for hygienic reasons and to set them aside / identify them as Children of Israel. The female babies didn't have that, obviously.

The way that people Can be known to be 'of faith' is by their fruits in their lives. When a person accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior, immediately the Holy Spirit comes to indwell them. Ephesians 1:13 and 14. There Are fruits of the Spirit / love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, etc. found in Galatians 5:22, 23. So 'by their fruits they Can be known' by others.

The invisible church is made up of all who have the Holy Spirit indwelling them. Their actions / attitudes will show it. The local group of believers / the more visible group of believers -- are to reach out to others with the Gospel unto salvation.

reformed baptist
William children may be dedicated in Baptist churches, meaning the parents publicly commit to raising their child in a Christian home. That does not mean that child has the ability to accept or reject Christ, Until that child can make that choice, they are unaccountable, but when they can make that choice and don't they are no longer a child. Age is not the determining factor, but I suppose until they are able to become a follower they could be considered part of the U C. Beyond that no.

Just Mike,

It might be better to say, "baptist churches your familiar with"

Not all baptists dedicate children (and some who do make it virtually like a christening) - my practice is to dedicate the parents and the church to for the child, to teach the child, and encourage the child to trust in Jesus Christ

Not all baptists believe in such a thing as an age of accountability

And no baptist I have ever met (or read - until now) would claim that a young child is part of the universal church (that is made up only of those who have repented, trusted and following the Lord Jesus Christ)

just my thoughts :RpS_thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just Mike
William children may be dedicated in Baptist churches, meaning the parents publicly commit to raising their child in a Christian home. That does not mean that child has the ability to accept or reject Christ, Until that child can make that choice, they are unaccountable, but when they can make that choice and don't they are no longer a child. Age is not the determining factor, but I suppose until they are able to become a follower they could be considered part of the U C. Beyond that no.

Just Mike,

Not all baptists dedicate children (and some who do make it virtually like a christening) - my practice is to dedicate the parents and the church to for the child, to teach the child, and encourage the child to trust in Jesus Christ

And no baptist I have ever met (or read - until now) would claim that a young child is part of the universal church (that is made up only of those who have repented, trusted and following the Lord Jesus Christ)

Thank you for watching over my mistakes, I hope to achieve the lever of expertise to eventually include countries outer than the US. Blessings.

reformed baptist

Just Mike,

I guess it concerns me because this is a thread about reformed baptists - your statements are probably preety accurate in regards to many SBC churches I suspect :D

Just Mike

Reformed Baptist, I would estimate 75 to 80%+ SBC in the US are reformed. Now I did start the thread so I think my remarks are related to the topic.

I listened to John MacArthur that week and he was asked his opinion of Arminianism or Calvinism. (John is a Calvinists) He said it did not matter, as its in Gods hands. There are those that don't care one way or the other, some like me who never heard much about Calvinism before coming to this forum, and some like you 100% totally Calvinistic.

My focus is more like John MacArthur. I have no idea who is "called" I just keep inviting people to come to Jesus Christ. I am teaching our children's class one Bible book at a time to know who God and Jesus Christ are. My wife and I pray they too will come to Jesus, even if their parents did not dedicate them. Until they reach the age of accountability (whatever that is) we hope to nurture them in the WORD. Blessings

Edited by Just Mike
additional info.
  • Like 1

reformed baptist
Reformed Baptist, I would estimate 75 to 80%+ SBC in the US are reformed. Now I did start the thread so I think my remarks are related to the topic.

I listened to John MacArthur that week and he was asked his opinion of Arminianism or Calvinism. (John is a Calvinists) He said it did not matter, as its in Gods hands. There are those that don't care one way or the other, some like me who never heard much about Calvinism before coming to this forum, and some like you 100% totally Calvinistic.

My focus is more like John MacArthur. I have no idea who is "called" I just keep inviting people to come to Jesus Christ. I am teaching our children's class one Bible book at a time to know who God and Jesus Christ are. My wife and I pray they too will come to Jesus, even if their parents did not dedicate them. Until they reach the age of accountability (whatever that is) we hope to nurture them in the WORD. Blessings

MacArthur claims to be a Calvinist (and to be fair he is monergistic) but one cannot be dispensational and Calvinist/ reformed I'm afraid

Just Mike

Reformed Baptist. I get the impression that no matter what I say you will contradict it. I don't agree with you about MacArthur. I wonder when man like John (who is fare older that either of us, and studded the Bible enormously more than me, that's for sure) says he is a Calvinists, I sure respect his word and won't argue the point. If you think he is wrong, I ll take his side.

reformed baptist
Reformed Baptist. I get the impression that no matter what I say you will contradict it. I don't agree with you about MacArthur. I wonder when man like John (who is fare older that either of us, and studded the Bible enormously more than me, that's for sure) says he is a Calvinists, I sure respect his word and won't argue the point. If you think he is wrong, I ll take his side.

Ok - I won't be contrary on this occasion - and for the record I respect MacArthur a tremendous amount, he is a gospel dominated man.

• Like 5

davidtaylorjr

I disagree Calvinism and Dispensational are not mutually exclusive. Calvinism essentially is talking about the Doctrines of Grace. You can hold to both the Doctrines of Grace and Dispensational Theology at the same time.

R.C. Sproul would have affirmed John MacArthur as a Calvinist while he was living.

• Like 1

William
Staff

I agree that MacArthur is a 5 point Calvinist. Reformed is an umbrella term which covers many doctrines and not just in soteriology (Dispenationalism isn't one), someone can be a Calvinist and not Reformed.

MacArthur is known as a "leaky" Dispensationalist:

• Like 2

davidtaylorjr

True, but I don't think Reformed means you can't be dispensational.

Just Mike

Reformed Baptist. I like came across as rude, mean, and grouchy. I sincerely and deeply apologize. My old sinful nature popped out. Gosh I hate it when that happens!. I stood my self in the corner for 15 minuets and promised to do so much better. Please forgive me, sometimes I am a jerk.

• Like 1

reformed baptist

If we look at Calvinism as simply being the 5 points then sure MacArthur measures up - but Calvinism (and arminianism for that matter) is based on a covenant hermeneutic and actually those five points do not a Calvinist make - Calvinism is more then the 5 points, as Packer argues - maybe I will start a thread on this and explain my reasoning in the next day or two :D

• Like 2

William
Staff

"MacArthur calls himself a "leaky dispensationalist"--meaning he rejects any and all "dispensational" soteriological innovations, holding to classic Reformed (i.e., Protestant, not "covenantal") soteriology. MacArthur's "dispensationalism" is eschatological and ecclesiological only. And given the fact that soteriology is central to our whole understanding of Christianity, whereas eschatology and ecclesiology deal primarily with secondary doctrines, it would be my assessment that MacArthur has far less in common with Ryrie than he would have with anyone who believes 1) that God's grace is efficacious for regeneration and sanctification as well as for justification, and 2) that God graciously guarantees the perseverance of all true believers." - Phil Johnson

• Like 1

reformed baptist

which is, of course, written by someone who comes from the exact same school of thought and also wishes to seen as more mainstream :D

Fastfredy0

@Just Mike ... we've read your posts and know you have a good, loving, caring heart.

• Like 1

davidtaylorjr

FWIW I would fall in the MacArthur belief camp and I am Reformed ;)

islandrazor

Who let you out of the corner Just Mike?

reformed baptist

@Just Mike - no apology necessary, I was not offended at all. I'm a Yorkshire man, so by nature I am a little blunt and direct - i don't mind being told i am too blunt and direct from time to time - it's all part of the sanctification process :D

• Like 2

Just Mike
Who let you out of the corner Just Mike?

Islandrazor, I truly am sorry for my attitude the other day.

• Like 1

islandrazor

Just Mike, What?? Your good. We're good. I'm not sure what you're referring to, We're all big boys here and no one seems altogether that insecure. My comment was an attempt at humor. Though, truth be told, my ex wife failed to see any humor in pretty much anything I said. Have a great day friend. God is good.

In Christ

Just Mike
Just Mike, What?? Your good. We're good. I'm not sure what you're referring to, We're all big boys here and no one seems altogether that insecure. My comment was an attempt at humor. Though, truth be told, my ex wife failed to see any humor in pretty much anything I said. Have a great day friend. God is good.

In Christ

Thanks, I tend to take things pretty seriously. Just my internal make up. MY dad said what he meant, and there was no fooling around, not one bit. That is so imprinted in my brain, can't seem get rid of it. Its hard to determine what's just a good nature comment, or something serious.

Maybe my hearing aids aren't translation things good. LOL

• Like 1

Sue D.

In Christ

It's sad how wives end up being ex-wives. But 'life' does happen.

• Like 1

Sue D.

In Christ

Hmmm -- my husband's hearing aides have that problem, too. :)

• Like 1

thatbrian
What that Baptism is a public testimony of ones faith?

Well, firstly lets looks at the idea that baptisms are public (as opposed to private) - can you point to a private baptism in the bible, ie one that is not done in front of witnesses?

And as for a testimony/ profession of faith - well again I believe the bible is very clear. For example in Acts 2:41; 16:14-15 we don't read of verbal professions of faith, we read of baptisms.

You are being more generous with your use of scripture to prove a point (that I suggest, you come to scripture with) than you would ever allow anyone else to be in doing the same.

• Like 3