The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
just_me

Which one of Jesus's parables has the most meaning to you?

I have two that I truly love and they are the GOOD SAMARITAN and THE PRODIGAL CHILD, but the one that means the most to me is THE PRODIGAL CHILD. That along with AMAZING GRACE is two of the most profound items of thought and spirit, with the exception of Christ himself that stirs my heart.

Both the Prodigul Child and Amazing grace speaks of being lost and being found by that which has always loved us and that is wonderful.

• Like 2

I really like the parable of the wheat and tares (Matt. 13:24-30) because it vindicates God's character and reveals why He is allowing sin to run its terrible course in this world. All the evil tares (especially the wolves in sheep's clothing) are brought about by Satan, and if God should allow them to be rooted up and destroyed now, then much of the good wheat (true Christ followers) would be rooted up as well because of their limited discernment. There is a great spiritual battle taking place on this earth, and much of it is hidden from our perception, but through it all we can know that God is good and will eventually put an end to all sin and gather the good into His barn. But let us not be the ones to think we know who the tares are and attempt to uproot them. Let God be the Judge. God bless!

• Like 1

I really like the parable of the wheat and tares (Matt. 13:24-30) because it vindicates God's character and reveals why He is allowing sin to run its terrible course in this world. All the evil tares (especially the wolves in sheep's clothing) are brought about by Satan, and if God should allow them to be rooted up and destroyed now, then much of the good wheat (true Christ followers) would be rooted up as well because of their limited discernment. There is a great spiritual battle taking place on this earth, and much of it is hidden from our perception, but through it all we can know that God is good and will eventually put an end to all sin and gather the good into His barn. But let us not be the ones to think we know who the tares are and attempt to uproot them. Let God be the Judge. God bless!

The first time I read the New Testiment I was struck by Christs use of these parables as a learning tool. They just blew me away.

• Like 1