The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
theophilus

Human History in North America is Rewritten After the Discovery of Mastodon Bones

A couple articles on human evolution caught my attention over at PhysOrg. Human history is constantly being revised, and here’s a prime example. It was once believed that humans crossed what’s called the Bering Land Bridge from Asia about 12,000 years ago and entered North America through Alaska during the ice age. Other estimates place this migration around 15,000 or 20,000 years ago.

I’ll recap some of the important points and focus on 1: the politics of science, 2: the uncertainty of dating methods, 3: censorship and discrimination in science, and 4: the significance of rewriting human history.

It was a mastodon skeleton discovered in California that ignited the controversy back in 1992. Alongside the bones were stone tools, including one that was rounded on one side and sharpened on the other. The tools were clearly not natural, but were shaped by humans and deposited in sediment believed to be 120,000 years old. In addition, the bones were arranged in an orderly fashion and were next to a large boulder believed to be an anvil.

It was obvious to the paleontologists making the discovery that humans had been at work on the mastodon before leaving the remains behind. But there was a huge problem… it was already established fact that the earliest humans arrived in North America 12,000 years ago. Therefore, it was impossible- lunacy- to suggest that people were living in California 120,000 years ago, and anyone who denied this was going to be attacked by the scientific community.

But why would such a discovery be so controversial? I think the answer is politics. When going up against a scientific consensus, those who consider themselves part of the establishment won’t allow their work or reputation to be damaged. Challenging the scientific research these people had worked on so hard for all their lives wouldn’t be accepted without a fierce fight. As the article points out, personal rivalry is a real culprit that has plagued science for decades: “Entrenched views are hard to shift for researchers who have built a reputation on them,” one professor said.

Read the complete article here:

https://sixdaysblog.com/2017/12/27/human-history-in-north-america-is-rewritten-after-the-discovery-of-mastodon-bones/