The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Hidden Manna

A fugitive in the land of wandering

I was doing another study and I came across something interesting concerning Cain and the word fugitive. In Genesis 4:12 the Lord said to Cain after he had killed his righteous brother Abel… “When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.” I had read that verse several times before but never really searched out the meaning and use of the word fugitive (H5128) shown there till now.

The KJV translates Strongs H5128 in the following manner: shake (6x), wander (6x), move (6x), promoted (3x), fugitive (2x), sift (2x), stagger (2x), wag (2x), misc (13x). Also Bible usage indicates…. to quiver, totter, shake, reel, stagger, wander, move, sift, make move, wave, waver, tremble, to wave, quiver, vibrate, swing, stagger, tremble, be unstable, to totter, go tottering,… vagabond (participle) (Niphal) to be tossed about or around (Hiphil) to toss about, to shake, cause to totter, to shake, disturb, to cause to wander.

And after seeing the multiple uses of the word , my mind then just lit up with multiple verses of scriptures which could be shown in the light of some of this same type wording for those things that are moved.

For instance in the words wave and wander Jude 1:13 “Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.” Also waves are tossed about to and fro by winds…Ephesians 4:14 “That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;”

And here the word unstable is shown in James 1:8 “A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

And here in 2 Peter 2:14 “Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:” Peter also said in 2 Peter 3:16 those who struggled to understand Paul’s teachings are those that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.” Much the same sign is shown in the natural brute beasts who speak evil of things they do not understand, which are made to be taken and destroyed.

Then there is also the word sift….Luke 22:31 “And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:” And there is also the word move, as we are told not to be moved in Psalm 62:6 “He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.”

Also in Colossians 1:23 “If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;”

So you have those who shall be moved, or shaken, but also those who are grounded and rooted in their faith in Christ that shall not be moved. This idea then opened up more scriptures concerning things shaken and moved.

Like the parable Jesus spoke of in Matthew 7:24-27 “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.”

The rains, floods and winds can also speak of spiritual things, like the flood of false doctrine that came out of the mouth of the serpent trying to carry away the woman in Revelation 12:15 “And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.” And the winds can be shown like winds of doctrine by the sleight of men as we saw above in Ephesians 4:14

But the wind or winds in scripture often represent spirits, and even the Holy Spirit which is shown as a mighty wind, which then brought me to this next part of prophecy Jesus described before His return in Mark 13:25 “And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.” This prophecy is shown in many different parts of scripture concerning the Lord shaking both the heavens and the earth. This is also shown in the 6th seal sign in Revelation, notice the wording.

Revelation 6:13 “And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.” I believe this mighty wind speaks of God’s Spirit, but the stars falling like untimely figs is not a good sign for many, because they like the falling stars are moved when shaken as we saw earlier.

Notice the wording here in Nahum 3:12 “All thy strong holds shall be like fig trees with the firstripe figs: if they be shaken, they shall even fall into the mouth of the eater.” The Lord was speaking out against the bloody city of Ninevah which was full of lies and robbery much like the world today. But a lot of the wording is very symbolic, and can also be seen in the book of Revelation. The Lord said in verse 16 “Thou hast multiplied thy merchants above the stars of heaven:”

This is a dire warning for those who put their trust in men, in merchandise, and in money; even in all these strong holds of this present evil world system which is determined to fall like Babylon of old when it fell. Put your trust solely in the Lord thy God and be grounded in the faith of Christ. Because when this great shaking comes from the Almighty many will fall away from the faith like stars falling from heaven. This is because their houses were not rooted in the Root and grounded on the Rock of salvation in Jesus Christ.

Those who are not deeply rooted in Him shall be uprooted and fall away when the time of trouble comes. Luke 8:13 “They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.”

Hebrews 12:25-27 “See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.”

Be not moved children, stand fast in your faith, for He is Faithful who calls you. Hebrews 10:23 “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)”

Peace and God bless, Mark.

• Like 1

I'm going to add this study in with this one as it also pertains to a wandering in the wilderness, as I also believe it foreshadows prophetic events.

There is an interesting pattern of time shown in those who flee into the wilderness, as with Cain after killing Abel and even with Moses being 40 years in the wilderness after fleeing from the face of Pharaoh after killing an Egyptian.

Notice Cain was marked for the sin of killing Abel and went into the land of Nod, which Nod means wandering. And the Lord also said of Cain, “Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold.”( 7 times) I believe this time period is significant to prophecy for Israel, because the number 7 is often used as a time period for cleansing and purification. Just as with with Lamech who killed a man to his own wounding in Genesis 4:24 “If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.( 70 x 7)

This similitude of the 70 x 7 would also be shown in the prophecy of the coming of Messiah in Daniel 9:24 (70 x 7=490 years) Also Jesus showed this time period concerning forgiveness, as of forgiving thy brother of sin here in Matthew 18:22 “Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”

But let’s get back to the wandering in the wilderness aspect of this sign of time.

In Acts 7:22-24 we read “And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds.23 And when he was full forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren the children of Israel.24 And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended him, and avenged him that was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian:”

And Moses was 80 when he returned from the wilderness after seeing the burning bush shown here in Acts 7: 29-30Then fled Moses at this saying, and was a stranger in the land of Madian, where he begat two sons.30 And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush.” (40 x 360 days in a year= 14400)

What is also interesting is the 7 daughters of the priest of Midian who watered their fathers flocks from the well, which I believe is a sign that is also to be repeated to symbolize the 7 spirits of God, like the 7 eyes and 7 spirits of the Lamb which water the Heavenly Fathers flock. This sign of fleeing into the wilderness was also shown after the bondwoman Hagar and her son Ishmael were cast out into the wilderness.

Afterward Abraham would set up this sign with 7 ewe lambs seen here in Genesis 21:28-31 “And Abraham set seven ewe lambs of the flock by themselves.29 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves?30 And he said, For these seven ewe lambs shalt thou take of my hand, that they may be a witness unto me, that I have digged this well.

31 Wherefore he called that place Beersheba; because there they sware both of them.”

What’s also interesting is Beersheba means well of an oath, or well of seven.”

Another sign of the 40 years and wandering in the wilderness is of course shown in the Exodus from Egypt, where because of the sins of the people, God would make them wander in the wilderness of sin. Also notice, like Cain was marked by sin, the children of Israel also had to bear their sins in the wilderness. This sign of being marked by sin and bearing sin and made to wander in the wilderness is also shown in the law concerning the scapegoat. Notice one lot or portion was to the Lord, the other portion was to the scapegoats. Leviticus 16:8 “And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the Lord, and the other lot for the scapegoat.” Here is something interesting, the word lot is shown 77 times …..The KJV translates Strong's H1486 in the following manner: lot (77x).

Also notice in the law the Lords goat was to be killed and made a sin offering for the people, and his blood brought within the vail and sprinkled 7 times. But here was the fate of the scapegoat “21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.”

Some think the scapegoat refers to Jesus, but I disagree because of the place the scapegoat goes is a place that is not inhabited. The use of this phrase “not inhabited” is often used to describe a barren or desolate place, which is a bad place to be. I believe this sign of the scapegoat is also shown in the parable about an unclean spirit being cast out in dry places in Matthew 12:43 “When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.”

So you can see the likeness of Cain’s wandering in the wilderness like that of the scapegoat and in the unclean spirit. A similar sign can be seen in Israel’s wandering in the wilderness of sin.

Numbers 14:33-34 “And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcases be wasted in the wilderness. After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.”

And so another sign of the 40 days in the wilderness is shown in Jesus when he was tempted of sin by the devil….Luke 4:1-2 “And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.”

And Jesus, like the sin offering given by the High priest (Leviticus 10:17), was to bear the sins of the congregation. Hebrews 9:28 “So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.”

And again another sign of this wandering in the wilderness is shown in the spiritual Israel of God, in the woman who gave birth to the man-child, shown fleeing from the face of the Serpent into the wilderness after Jesus’ ascension……Revelation 12:6 “And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.”( 42 months; or 7 times 6)

Continued on next...

• Like 1

This same sign of fleeing into the wilderness for 42 months was also shown in Elijah who went into the wilderness during the great drought and famine for 3 and a half years and was nourished there with help from the Lord. Luke 4:25 “But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;” James 5:17 “Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.” (42 months)

I believe this time of being in the wilderness and nourished is also symbolized in the feasts of the Lord, and the offering of 7 lambs beginning on the first month, and seen in Numbers chapter 28-29.

Notice the wording of “throughout the 7 lambs” leading into the 7th month and the memorial of trumpets. Also notice 7 months x 30 days= 210 divided by 5 = 42 (symbolizing the 42 months) Just as the generations leading up to Jesus’ birth was 3 sets of 14 generations periods, or 3 x14= 42. (Matthew 1:17)

I believe the time in the wilderness is also significant in the grand scheme of things concerning the times of the Gentiles fullness, and ungodliness finally being removed from Jacob afterward. As also 40 years x 360 days in a year =14400 which is a tenth of the 144,000 seen in Revelation chapter 7 as it pertains to the tribes of Israel and the “daily sacrifice.”

But something else interesting happens in the feast of tabernacles after the Day of Atonement. There is a doubling of the 7 lambs to be sacrificed going from 7 to 14 for a period of the 7 days. This to me is the sign of the “double portion” symbolized many times in scripture, which can be discussed later.

But if you get anything out of this study, hopefully you will see how the Lord repeats patterns all throughout scripture. And by seeing and knowing the patterns of the past we can better see the future.

Ecclesiastes 3:15; “That which has been is now; and that which is to be has already been; and God requires that which is past.”

Peace and God bless, Mark

• Like 1