The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
just_me

Fasting and Praying for the right reasons.

I just came from another web site where this guy was talking about him fasting and praying for several week for his rugbie team to win a championship and I don't know about you, but I would believe that God would not listen to such a prayer. It seems to me that praying to that particular reason would be benith God for many reasons.

Am I wrong here or what?

I mean, I have special petitions for the Lord and I know that he already knows what I need, he just wants to hear it from my mouth. Most of my petitions are for protection of my job and for him to look over me as I drive down the road. i also ask for him to help my with my blood presure and my eyesite, as I am getting up there in years and I'm seeing things far less clearly than I used to.

I do thank him before I bring up my wants and desires for all that he has done for me and try not to be regimental in thanking him. I ask that he please take care of those around me and pray that he helps those that I've been asked to pray for.

I've, at times prayed to win the Lotto, but that was one of several times that I was actually embarrassed by what I did, after the fact. I don't think that we should pray for personal gain just because it isn't something that would be of spiritual benefit to us. Seeing how weak I am it might just be spiritual damaging to me.

What do you think. Am I getting too judgmental on this?

As for fasting. I've never really understood what fasting is all about. I can surmise that it is a sacrificial abstinence of eating, but I don't know if it is to show God that we are submitting to his guidance or does it have a deeper meaning that I haven't realized?

I believe it's all about motive. That person could have been sincere and selfless in the motive for asking for such a thing, but if anything is asked for with selfish reasons then it is not inline with Christ. Jesus says in John 14:14 ask for anything in His name. Now, that doesn't mean just end the prayer with "in Jesus' name." This is talking about character (name=character). If we ask in the selfless character of Christ, He will provide what we ask (sometimes in a different, but better way).

As for fasting, this is a great way to draw closer to God. This is because it helps us to see our need for Him when we go through difficult times, and there is actually scientific evidence behind it that supports the fact that abstaining from food for a short period of time gives the mind clarity because there is less energy being diverted to breaking down food.

It's worth it to mention that prayer doesn't somehow change God's mind about giving us something, as if He is withholding from us. He simply wants us to recognize our need for His providence and be dependent on Him for all things. And we can rest in the fact that His will is so much better than our own. Also, when we pray for something specific (with selfless motives), we will know that it was God answering that prayer, rather than just circumstance. God bless!