The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
just_me

When did you realize that you were old?

Ten years ago I remember getting the piece of mail that I wasn't at all ready for. It wasn't from the IRS or my doctor stating I had some life threatening disease. It was from AARP stating I would be eligible on my next birthday to join their organization.

"I'm not old" my mind rebelled against the unspoken accusations that this small piece of paper had made against me. I was actually mad enough to chew nails and I would have hated to be the mailman, who delivered that piece of mail to my house If I would have been there to receive it. lol.

I look back at it now and chuckle at all the little things I noticed after I got that letter. I remember listening to the music, that in my youth would have sent me to Hell, according to my JW mother, when I was going up in an elevator. My daughter is mortified when I sing out of key a song that's older than she is and my Grand daughter tries to sing along with me, which makes my daughter even more embarrassed. I don't do anything to actively mortify my daughter, but I don't allow her hypersensitivity to curtail my joy.

I was wondering if anybody else has their own story about how you found out that you were no longer a spring chicken and the world around you had changed without your permission. lol

• Like 1

I know what you mean, I have received the same annoying mail, and wondered how these guys got my name and how they knew how old I was.

I know what you mean, I have received the same annoying mail, and wondered how these guys got my name and how they knew how old I was.

AARP is a liberal organization. The Government is saturated with liberalism. I, at one time was stupid enough to sign a petition to stop animal testing and suddenly I was getting all kinds of mail from the DNC for money to re-elect President Obama. It took me 7-7 e-mails to unsubscribe to that and then after I had clicked a popup that stated I would vote for him. I'd have come up on that before and when I wouldn't clock that, It would throw me off the unsubscribe page. After that I never signed up for any cause.

The only reaso I did then was because a frind of mine, who is ultra conservative had posted it on Facebook.

• Like 1

Staff

you are still kids

Staff

When medical staff keeps referring to my age as the standard of health. Not bad for "your age". :RpS_w00t: Test results say, unremarkable etc for patient's age.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

When I run to jump over an 8 ft wide creek and only jump 6 feet.

When I stopped wind surfing (5 yrs ago) (I can still do it, just not worth the effort)

When I qualified for Social Security

When they turned me down to be a Chippendale's dancer (j/k), they didn't turn me down (j/k again)

Aside: I can still water ski slalom ... so I am still not ancient

Staff

When I stopped wind surfing (5 yrs ago) (I can still do it, just not worth the effort)

When they turned me down to be a Chippendale's dancer (j/k), they didn't turn me down (j/k again)

:RpS_lol: You're hilarious.

Staff

One day while driving i saw my Dad's hand on the wheel.. and i am a girl :RpS_sad:

• Like 1

When the music I liked when 'younger' are now the Golden Oldies -- the people in the TV programs I grew up with are now mostly dying or dead for many years. The 'little Opey' is now a grown man making and directing his own movies.

When our baby grandkids are now 24 yrs old and married.

Next year I'll be 70 -- how on earth has That happen. I don't know what 69 in supposed to feel like -- but it Sounds old and 70 sounds So Much Older. :)

Enjoyed the read from top to bottom...

My mother in law (96) has a fridge sticker 'getting old is not for sissies' and she is still doing fine...

But the refreshing thought is that there is a way out (when the time comes) - 'to a land where we will never grow old'.

• Like 2

When I needed my wife to push me in a wheel chair. That was the two by four that hit me right between my eyes. That was the first of many things. But for now its only when I have a doctors appointment at the VA, its too much walking for me. Praise God I have a wonderful wife!

I was in my late 30's when I realized that I could do cartwheels if I wanted, but I just didn't want to that badly anymore. In my late 40's, I noticed a few surprise aches and pains when moving suddenly. In my mid-50's....well, I am making minor adjustments to my lifestyle to accommodate this and that and accepting the changes. Healing up takes a good deal longer than it used to take. What is next?

• Like 2

I was in my late 30's when I realized that I could do cartwheels if I wanted, but I just didn't want to that badly anymore. In my late 40's, I noticed a few surprise aches and pains when moving suddenly. In my mid-50's....well, I am making minor adjustments to my lifestyle to accommodate this and that and accepting the changes. Healing up takes a good deal longer than it used to take. What is next?

You meant that as retorical -- but try cataracts -- hip/ knee replacements. :)

I believed that when I was young. Sometimes there may be some truth to it. Yet, I have learned over the years that age is a real thing and it happens to you and that "realization" follows reality, not the other way around.

• Like 1

The day you realized you were old is the day you made it true.

A person is as old as they allow themselves to feel?

I believed that when I was young. Sometimes there may be some truth to it. Yet, I have learned over the years that age is a real thing and it happens to you and that "realization" follows reality, not the other way around.

And, yes, 'age' Does tend to be a real thing. Our bodies remind us older people , some times, that we are Not 30 any more. And haven't been for 30 yrs. or so. :)

seeing the church stylistic preferences of the younger generation makes me feel old.

Yeah, that's a big clue for me. When things that seemed a given or standard are now little known or "quaint" makes you feel the flow of time.

• Like 1

Our bodies remind us older people , some times, that we are Not 30 any more.

Very true Sue, that is the one that keeps poking me, saying "hey things are wearing out."

seeing the church stylistic preferences of the younger generation makes me feel old.

Yeah, that's a big clue for me. When things that seemed a given or standard are now little known or "quaint" makes you feel the flow of time.

And some of it is Sad. It's the good , old-fashioned Gospel songs that have become little known or 'quaint' -- so much doctrine is in those songs. Us older folk would worship God by singing those older songs.

• Like 2