The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Hidden Manna

Coming in the name

Jesus said in John 5:43 “I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. In this we see not all will receive those who come in the name of the Father and Son, which is also in the Spirit of Truth and in Righteousness. But we also see in this that those who come in their own name, being of man, the world will receive.

John said of Christ in John 3:32-33 “And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.33 He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.”

God the Father sealed His Son with His Spirit of Truth as is shown here in John 6:27 “Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.”

And this seal is the anointing of the Holy Spirit. But like man who is of this world, this world also receives not the testimony of the Son of God by way of His Spirit of Truth. John 14:17 “Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.”

So those men, who are still of the world, and of the spirit of this world, cannot receive the testimony of Jesus Christ; even given by those the Father sends in the Sons name by the anointing of Holy Spirit. For the Holy Spirit comes in the name of the Son of God as is shown here John 14:26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” This again is in the name of Righteousness, and is also the new name given to us in Christ, being the “The Lord our Righteousness”.

And the Spirit speaks the testimony of Christ as Jesus shows here John 16:14 “He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.” But just as the world will not receive the words of God, those who are of God will not receive the testimony of men either (or those who come in their own name.) Jesus said here in John 5:34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.” So His sheep will hear His voice, but another’s voice (testimony of men) they will not hear.

So men who are of this world, and who come in their own name, and in their own honor, who also honor one another; they will struggle to believe in Christ. John 5:44How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?” Just as Jesus came not in His own name, and sought not his own will, but the Fathers; and in doing so he was also glorified of the Father. John 13:31 “Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.”

But, there are men of this world who will falsely come in the name of Christ, which is the name of Righteousness and Truth; these swearing falsely by His name. But the Lord also forewarned of this and of the curse in Zechariah 5:3-4 “Then said he unto me, This is the curse that goeth forth over the face of the whole earth: for every one that stealeth shall be cut off as on this side according to it; and every one that sweareth shall be cut off as on that side according to it.

4 I will bring it forth, saith the Lord of hosts, and it shall enter into the house of the thief, and into the house of him that sweareth falsely by my name: and it shall remain in the midst of his house, and shall consume it with the timber thereof and the stones thereof.”

The thief are those who steal the words of God and are the false shepherds of the world. Jesus said in John 10:8-10 “All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”

Revelation 2:17He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.”

Be an over comer in Christ Jesus, who is our Righteousness. Mark