The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Hidden Manna

Fire and water

The Lord uses both fire and water to cleanse and purify….

Numbers 31:23-24 “Every thing that may abide the fire, ye shall make it go through the fire, and it shall be clean: nevertheless it shall be purified with the water of separation: and all that abideth not the fire ye shall make go through the water.

24 And ye shall wash your clothes on the seventh day, and ye shall be clean, and afterward ye shall come into the camp.”

Malachi 3:1-3 “Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.

2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.”

Matthew 3:11 “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. But he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:”

Both fire and water are of the Lord and both are also shown in His words….

Fiery law/ Testimony

Ministration of condemnation/ Ministration righteousness

Letter kills/ Spirit gives Life

Of judgment/ Of righteousness

Power of death/ Power of Life

Consuming fire/ Living waters

When you think about what fire and water does in nature then you can appreciate this even more in a spiritual sense, as the Lord can rain down both fire and water from heaven.

Peace and God bless, Mark.

• Like 2

Matthew 3:11 “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. But he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:”

Does the "fire" apply to only the just or only to the unjust or to both?

Does the "fire" apply to only the just or only to the unjust or to both?

Depending on how the fire is shown in scripture it can be both, as God's wrath and anger can also be shown as a fire that is never quenched. But in the context of cleansing it is used to purify and cleanse God's people.

Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God."

1 Peter 1:7 "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:"

• Like 1

The meaning of baptism by fire is clear if you consider the next verse.

His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.

The two baptisms are connected with the separation of wheat and chaff. The wheat, those who are saved, are baptized with the Holy Spirit. The chaff is baptized with fire in Hell.

• Like 1

The meaning of baptism by fire is clear if you consider the next verse.

His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.

The two baptisms are connected with the separation of wheat and chaff. The wheat, those who are saved, are baptized with the Holy Spirit. The chaff is baptized with fire in Hell.

The unquenchable fire is God's wrath and anger I spoke of, but it is not the baptism of fire that cleanses, which John is speaking of from Malachi. Notice where Matthew 3 speaks of the prophecy in Isaiah and then make that connection to Malachi.

Notice Matthew 3 first mentions the prophecy in Isaiah.....

Matthew 3:3 "For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Here's the prophecy in Isaiah......

Isaiah 40:3 "The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God."

Now here is the same prophecy in Malachi concerning the messenger sent before the Lord, which I posted in my OP.....

Malachi 3:1-3 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.

2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.”

So that ties in with the fire that refines and purifies in Zechariah 13:9 and 1 Peter 1:7

I have a study written on the unquenchable fire I can post later. Peace

This is a great topic, heres another verse that could be added also

Psalm 66:12 Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water:

but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.

One question I had in respects to both fire and water is concerning the significance of the same as used here

Matt 17:15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed:

for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.

What are your thoughts on the last one there? I would be interested in hearing them

God richly bless you! Peace

One question I had in respects to both fire and water is concerning the significance of the same as used here

Matt 17:15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed:

for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.

What are your thoughts on the last one there? I would be interested in hearing them

God richly bless you! Peace

Hmmm....he's a lunatick. :RpS_wink:

• Like 1

Hmmm....he's a lunatick. :RpS_wink:

Okay so you dont see anything more signifant there above he is nuts and thats what he does often eh?

I betcha after Jesus heals him he probably has no clue that he might be heading for more of the same (both water and fire) when he is actually sane eh'? :RpS_laugh:

• Like 1