The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

Are Natural disasters under Gods control and Sovereign will?

In 2017 the United States has has three hurricanes, many tornadoes, and fires. There have been two massive fires in California, thousands of homes have been totally destroyed, many business are now gone, lives have been lost.

Earthquakes in Missouri, New York, have once again happened without no warning. The Missouri River is so dry in spots barges can't move goods down the river. Fires in California have happened lie no other time in a hundred years.

One might wonder just what does all this mean? Is God punishing the United States for the sinful choices we have allowed our Government to make? Is God punishing California for the choices the Pole voted in?

Finally, I ask does God use natural disasters to punish people? How does God show is anger with people and Nations that have turned their back on Him?

• Like 2

Romans 1 is a pretty apt description of God's judgment on a people that turn their backs on him and worship the creature more than the creator. It is possible God is using natural disasters to punish America for her sins but I would not be dogmatic about that.Yes all things are under God's sovereignty and control.

• Like 4

I agree with @Beau Michel, especially regarding the fact that everything is under God's sovereignty and control. When it comes to natural disasters, I think that usually they are simply the result of the natural forces of weather and physics which God in his wisdom instituted, but I think it is possible that some of them could be directed by Him for His purposes, although we don't really have any way to know when that's the case.

Is God punishing the United States

I do worry that this may come to be the case. I think the U.S. has been a great force for good in it's short history and I feel that God has blessed and assisted us in many ways. It grieves me that the larger culture seems to have abandoned the values and worldview that brought the U.S. into existence and made her great. They seem to have no idea what it takes (a virtuous society) to uphold and continue this great country who's benefits they enjoy. But, while I feel grief and a great sense of loss, nevertheless I know that nothing that happens is outside of God's plan and wisdom, and so I trust that God will use even this for good and His glory.

• Like 2

I believe everything is under the sovereignty of God, that is not to say He directly controls everything, but that if and when He so desires, He can intervene, divine providence. This subject always brings to mind the story of Jesus, calming the storm, a manifestation of the sovereignty of God over what we commonly call natural disasters. We should remember that no natural disaster has ever been out of God's control, and as difficult as it may be to come to terms with, in one sense of another, it is part of His overall plan, even in agreement with His will, even if in a passive sense of allowing, because He knows everything from beginning to end, without error, He knows beforehand, whatsoever will come to pass. R.C Sproul has written and spoken helpful commentary on this difficult (for us) subject.

• Like 3

In the Old Testament He Did part the Red Sea so His people could get away from their enemy.

And He Did promise no more world-wide flood -- and none of our disasters have been world-wide. He's capable of calming the waters -- so He's Also still capable of Causing / Allowing 'nature' to 'obey' Him.

It's not the physical enemy that is causing the problems in our country -- it's the natural fires, hurricaines, etc. And, well, former leaders have allowed the non-documented people to be here and the sheer numbers of them have had their affect on our economy. And on the Other hand -- 'foreign' missions are in our neighborhoods now as well as in the other countries.

• Like 1

I point to Matthew 24 as a good starting point to understand what this all means. Christ predicted that there would be much disaster when His second coming is near. We need not look too far to see many signs proclaiming that the end is near. And the beauty of it all is in these words of Jesus: "And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." (Luke 21:28).

It is good to know God's character when we are wondering about His judgment. Throughout the whole Bible we see that God pleads with people to turn from sin. He suffers long with them and sends them many warnings. At some point, people do cross the line and in order for God to preserve and protect His people, He has to intervene.

That said, Satan does however have much control over the forces of this world, as far as God permits. You can read an example of this in Job chapters one and two. In Job chapter one you will notice that Satan brings the destruction, but yet the messengers say "The fire of God is fallen from heaven." (Job 1:16). And Satan will use his power to deceive many into thinking that God is the one who is bent on destruction.

We must be careful not to condemn people when calamities are falling upon them, as if God is judging them. God permits evil because the whole universe needs to see the unfolding of Satan's kingdom (the cross is a great example of this). But God does use tragedies as a way of waking His people up to the reality that this world is not their home, especially as we get closer to the final events. Our home is a new heaven and a new earth (Rev. 21 & 22), where only righteousness dwells (2 Pet. 3:13).

Are Natural disasters under Gods control and Sovereign will?

Short answer: YES

Longer Answer:

That God governs inanimate matter, that inanimate matter performs His bidding and fulfills His decrees, is clearly shown on the very frontispiece of Divine revelation. God said, "Let there be light," and we read, "There was light." God said, "Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear," and "it was so." And again, "God said, Let the earth bring forth grass the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so." And the Psalmist declares, "He spake and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast."

Witness God's absolute (and Sovereign) control of inanimate matter in connection with the plagues of Egypt. Consider the furnace of Nebuchadnezzar was heated seven times beyond its normal temperature, and into it three of God's children were cast, but the fire did not so much as scorch their clothes, though it slew the men who cast them into it.

Psalm 147:15 He sends His command to the earth; His word runs very swiftly. 16 He gives [to the earth] now like [a blanket of] wool; He scatters the frost like ashes. 17 He casts out His ice like fragments; Who can stand before His cold? 18 He sends out His word and melts the ice; He causes His wind to blow and the waters to flow.

Something as humanly fortuitous as the casting of the lot—in this case a revelatory vehicle—is decided by the Lord. Proverbs 16:33The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord. Further, God plans and commands where lightning will strike (Job 36:32).

• Job 37:1-13; Mark 4:38-41; Job 38:12-13
  • Psalm 135:6whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did He in Heaven, and in the earth, in the seas, and all deep places

I would argue that God controls everything, I mean EVERYTHING. (There is debate over "Is God the Author of Sin" and "free will" of man)

Here's how I see natural things for the most part.

(Ecc 9:11) I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

(Luk 13:1) There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

(Luk 13:2) And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

(Luk 13:3) I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

(Luk 13:4) Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

(Luk 13:5) I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

The great events foretold by Daniel and then Jesus, such as the AD 70 destruction of Jerusalem was the last foretold event to occur, which was certainly Providence, "The Days of Vengeance" upon Jerusalem that Jesus avenged Himself against, burning the whore as prophecied by the prophets. Jesus prepared His New Jerusalem Church to escape out of the city when Titus was besieging it. And what an event that was. But nothing else like that is prophecied or expected as part of the providence of God. Not that some more horrible disasters won't come here and there per time and chance, for they will come. We live on a volcanic asteroid bombarded ball of fire. We already know what is to eventually come in the end... So let us repent and receive Jesus while it is yet today and not perish lest we too are caught unaware in a tower per chance falling on us.

In 2017 the United States has has three hurricanes, many tornadoes, and fires. There have been two massive fires in California, thousands of homes have been totally destroyed, many business are now gone, lives have been lost.

Earthquakes in Missouri, New York, have once again happened without no warning. The Missouri River is so dry in spots barges can't move goods down the river. Fires in California have happened lie no other time in a hundred years.

One might wonder just what does all this mean? Is God punishing the United States for the sinful choices we have allowed our Government to make? Is God punishing California for the choices the Pole voted in?

Finally, I ask does God use natural disasters to punish people? How does God show is anger with people and Nations that have turned their back on Him?

If one takes the time to dig into the scriptures it is very obvious that He does control everything and at the moment we are nearing the Day of the LORD, the Rapture time but more to the point, the Great Tribulation, God is certainly speaking but are we listening to perceive His warning that Judgment is at hand?

• Like 1

Bill I truly have no idea when Jesus Christ will return. Being that we are close to the same age bill, we have heard many times in our lives that "Jesus has to come soon because things are so bad". But instead things have gotten even worse. Bill I think only Father God Almighty knows when the last soul will cone to Jesus Christ. and until that happens we are to "be ready". In the mean time as things do in deed get even worse I am abiding in Him. We both know God is in total control all the time, in every thing. I am finishing my life well, and my trust in Him will never stop. God bless you Bill.

• Like 1

Bill I truly have no idea when Jesus Christ will return. Being that we are close to the same age bill, we have heard many times in our lives that "Jesus has to come soon because things are so bad". But instead things have gotten even worse. Bill I think only Father God Almighty knows when the last soul will cone to Jesus Christ. and until that happens we are to "be ready". In the mean time as things do in deed get even worse I am abiding in Him. We both know God is in total control all the time, in every thing. I am finishing my life well, and my trust in Him will never stop. God bless you Bill.

All true and I am careful not to set a date. On the other had Jesus did tell us how to recognize the Season and the Fig Tree bloomed May 14, 1948 (Israel became a nation again). And throughout the scriptures YHWH demonstrates His propensity for doing things in sevens and we stand on the beginning of the last century right now, if the calender is accurate. Even the Jew and the Jewish Christian operating on the Jewish calender say it is less that a fifteen minute swing on the Time Clock before Messiah returns to rule. Believing has always been a personal level and i was trying to convince, just as now, nobody.

• Like 1