The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
AlexR

Early Christians

Why Early Christians teaching contradict with our protestant teaching? Regarding Eucharist and baptism?

AlexR could you be more specific? I am a Baptist, we have baptism by immersion in the mane of The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Baptism in the symbolic way of Christs being buried, the person going down under the water, Christ raised, by the person coming out of the water, and raised in the newness of life in Jesus Christ. Our Lords Super is done as Scripture instructs us. So please explain what you mean.

William thank you for taking the time to make this very long post, excellent. I hope you type faster than me, I type with two sometimes three fingers and I am so slow.

The Roman Catholic Church believes in "Mystical Presence" too. Mystical Presence is completely contrarily to my earliest teachings as a Baptist child. As I have was indoctrinated my from childhood and as I matured spiritually into adulthood I stayed by choice in this way of Theology and Doctrine., I always say I am a Christian first, and a Baptist last.

I have attempted to study other Christian theologies, and to be honest sometimes its difficult for me see how others come to Biblical understandings that are so different from my Baptist Biblical views. However I always respect other Christians and their views. I truly appreciate someones effort to explain their view points in their understanding of Scripture. I have actually changed my mind on a few areas after hearing someone sharing with me their understandings of the Bible. Once I a long time ago I believed in Dispensational Premillenniallism, It was not to long ago that I came to believe Calvinism was correct. I say this to point out that with prayer and long study, and allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us we are to test what we believe against the WORD.

I am open to listen and study what you and other say, we may not see somethings the same, but at the very core of Orthodox faith is Jesus Christ.

Sola Scriptura: Sola Fide: Sola Gratia: Sola Christo: Sola Deo Gloria

• Like 1

Well bless your heart William. We are not so far apart as some would think, and what differences there are Gods love and Grace covers it all. In all humility we are to serve one another in Jesus' love. This extends beyond the people we meet face to face, and as I believe, to those we interact with like in this wonderful forum. When I sense I am getting snarky, I try to back down or take a brake. I am reluctant to take any serious reaction, unless there is no doubt something is wrong, unethical, or unbiblical. Then I will be gentle, and a second time I will be very clear of what's not right. I believe that is what Scripture says to do.

I find your knowledge of the Bible as if you had been to seminary. I think you once said you would have liked to gone into ministry, dear friend you are in ministry. Being "Called" into ministry is the job we are doing. No matter what job we do should always be seen as our ministry. I have been a carpenter, cabinet maker, School bus driver, and bi vocational pastor. At 37 I started preparing to serve others in Jesus Christ, by going to College getting a degree in Bible, and then four years of Seminary to get a M. Div and a M, ARS. I felt small churches deserved a well educated pastor as much as a large church.

Several of my Seminary friends felt called to fairly large churches with over a hundred members. Often we thing a pastors worth is judged by the size of the church. My first church had 16 members, and I was looked down on by a few of my seminary class mates. My love has always been for small churches as I grew up in one, and know the love and potential for reaching others with Jesus Christ. When I left that first church there were 60 active members. It was not me but the Word of Life in Jesus Christ that makes a change in people, the Spirit of God moves peoples hearts, to Follow Jesus Christ. We speak the Truth in Love, and when unsaved people hear of the Gospel, and the Call of God they will respond.

William ministry is what we do in the every day traffic pattern of our life. Blessings.

I just saw more private interpretation in the bible by every people. So one day I simply searched about the early Christians. First I collected the name list of early Christians( you can see in wikipedia). I came to know about apostolic fathers( which mean direct connection with the 12 apostles). For example Ignatius of Antioch is a disciple of St. John lived in 107 A.D and more are there. I collected first 3 centuries early Christians name and studied their letters to churches and heresis.

I was so shocked!!...... Because they all taught to the churchs about baptism that wash our sins and the real presence of Christ in Eucharist.

Especially this man Ignatius put deep explanation on Eucharist. They too baptized infants. So I think in the baptism of household the infants too baptized believing that their parents will brought up with faith in Christ. I think it was the 12 apostles taught to their disciples.

And I also found the holy Trinity, first told by the early Christian namely tellurian(265 A.D) against heresis. From him only we came to know about Trinity.

So that only I totally stuck. Why our( protestant) doctrine totally contradict to the early apostlic fathers.

I now on researching how the Catholic interpret the bible.

If you have any answer for this please share .

And also I came to know that from them ( early christians)only we came to know how the apostles died except James. Because Acts witness the death of James.

It's not a particular doctrine. It is the main doctrine. Because In john 3 and 6 . Jesus stressed in his teaching about this. If we didn't find the truth then we can't enter the kingdom of heaven as he told.

And also the early Christians believed in apostolic succession too😥.

I just researching deeply about this . I will give a clear explanation soon.