The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Hidden Manna

Mountains to be made low, and crying to the mountains

Mountains made low

It is written in Isaiah 40:4 “Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:” This parable was also spoken of again in Luke 3:5 But many do not fully perceive how this metaphor was spiritually speaking concerning humility and pride.

The Lord often compares the proud in spirit and those who exalt themselves as being like those who lift themselves up on high, like lofty trees or mountains raised up on high. Let’s see if we can see the connection here to the mountains being made low in the haughty of spirit being made low by scripture.

Here's the Bible meaning of Haughty....to rise, rise up, be high, be lofty, be exalted, to be high, be set on high, to be raised, be uplifted, be exalted, to be lifted, rise

Mountains are high, just as the spirit of the haughty sets itself up on high, or exalts itself.

Let's look at some verses on the haughty... Proverbs 18:12 “Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humility.”

Proverbs 16:18Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.”

Psalm 131:1 “Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.”

Isaiah 10:33 “Behold, the Lord, the Lord of hosts, shall lop the bough with terror: and the high ones of stature shall be hewn down, and the haughty shall be humbled.”

Now notice the wording here in connection with the words found in Isaiah 40 below Isaiah 24:4 “The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish.

Now to Isaiah 40:6-8 “The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:7 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the Lord bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."

Now compare to the testimony of James... James 1:9-11 "Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted:10 But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.11 For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways."

So the parable of the mountains and valleys spoken of in Isaiah and repeated again in Luke chapter 3 is not talking about literal mountains and hills, nor literal valleys, but rather people.

The truth of the message is confirmed here….

Matthew 23:12 “And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Luke 14:11 “For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Luke 18:14 “I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.”

More scriptures…..

Proverbs 29:23 “A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.”

Obadiah 1:3 “The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?”

Every mountain shall be made low....

Job 40:12 "Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place."

Psalm 101:5 "Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.

Proverbs 21:4 An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.

Isaiah 2:12 “For the day of the Lord of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:”

Isaiah 13:11 “And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.”

Luke 10:15And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.

To be continued on next.....

Crying to the mountains….

In several places in scripture we see the people saying to the mountains and hills to hide them. First after the Assyrian invasion, because Israel turned from the house of God “Bethel” unto a house of idols “Beth-Aven” or house of “vanity”, and iniquity, by worshipping the false idols of Bethaven.

Hosea 10:5 “The inhabitants of Samaria shall fear because of the calves of Bethaven: for the people thereof shall mourn over it, and the priests thereof that rejoiced on it, for the glory thereof, because it is departed from it.

Notice what the people would say when this destruction came….

Hosea 10:8 “The high places also of Aven, the sin of Israel, shall be destroyed: the thorn and the thistle shall come up on their altars; and they shall say to the mountains, Cover us; and to the hills, Fall on us.

And in Isaiah 2:19-21And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the Lord, and for the glory of his majesty, when he arises to shake terribly the earth. In that day a man shall cast his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which they made each one for himself to worship, to the moles and to the bats; To go into the clefts of the rocks, for fear of the Lord, and for the glory of his majesty, when he arises to shake terribly the earth.”

Then again after the Roman invasion, the likeness of it would happen again, as was also prophesied beforehand by Jesus. Because of the overspreading of abominations Jerusalem’s house would be made desolate. Also notice where Jesus said Israel had turned the house of God into a “house of merchandise”. John 2:16

And again it is prophesied they would say to the mountains and hills “Fall on us!” and “Cover us!”

Luke 23:28-31 “But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.29 For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.

30 Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us.31 For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?”

And then again in the book of Revelation we see all peoples of the earth are again prophesied to say to the mountains and rocks “Fall on us” and “hide us”.

Revelation 6:15-17 “And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?”

And when Mystery Babylon falls we see the merchants would also weep because of their “merchandise

Revelation 18:11 And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:

So in all 3 instances we see a connection with idolatry and merchandise, just as covetousness (love of money) is also shown as idolatry in scripture.

Ephesians 5:5 “For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.”

Colossians 3:5 “Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:”

So our bodies being a temple for God’s Spirit to dwell in,( 1 Corinthians 6:19) you can see how one who turns to false idols, or the love of money, or the covetousness of the heart, has also set up the falseidolin the temple of God in a spiritual sense.

And when this false idol is taken away and made desolate, the people who worship it shall weep and mourn. James 5:1-3 “Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.3 Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.”

Revelation 18:15 “The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her, shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing,

Revelation 18:19 “And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.”

When you covet the cursed thing, you also become the cursed thing. Keep yourself from idols. Mark.

• Like 1

The Lord revealed something to me through His words about a mystery I could not quite figure out about the rich men of the earth and the religious system who has played the harlot with the ways of the world.

In both the rich of the world and the harlot church system we see they are to be burned with fire.

Notice.....

James 5:1-3

5 Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.

2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.

3 Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days."

Now notice the wording concerning the harlot woman in Revelation.....

Revelation 17:16 "And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.

Now here is why the harlot church system is to be burned with fire.....

Leviticus 21:9 "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

But what I couldn't figure out was the connection between the rich men being burned and the whore being burned, until I saw these verses below...

Deuteronomy 7:25-26

25 The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therin: for it is an abomination to the Lord thy God.

26 Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing."

God told the children of Israel not to worship other idols or false gods of other nations, and they were to burn them all with fire. And God also said not to covet the silver and gold that is on them. We also know by scripture that covetousness is idolatry. But notice above in Deut. the Lord said those who covet the cursed thing are in danger of becoming a cursed thing like it.

The cursed thing represents the love of money and materialism, which is the root of all evil. And so those who covet money and materialism are coveting false idols, and they like the false idols shall be burned with the fire of God's wrath.