The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Faber

Jehovah "alone" encompasses the Lord Jesus (Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 44:24)

Psalm 83:18

That they may know that You alone, whose name is the LORD,

Are the Most High over all the earth. (NASB)

The Jehovah's Witness will tell us that the Father "alone" is Jehovah in Psalm 83:18 and associate this passage with the fact that He created all things:

"Jehovah is the Author of nature. He alone is “the Most High over all the earth,” who “created all things.”—Psalm 83:18; Revelation 4:11." (What We Learn From Nature, Awake!, March 10, 2010)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102010088

It is true that Jehovah alone created all things.

1. Karl Keil and Franz Delitzsch: It was He who alone, without the co-operation of any other being, stretched out the heavens, who made the earth into a wide plain by Himself, i.e., so that it proceeded from Himself alone.

https://www.studylight.org/commentar...isaiah-44.html

Isaiah 44:24 (cf. Job 9:8)

Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself. (KJV)

The same Hebrew word for "alone" as found in Psalm 83:18 is used in Isaiah 44:24 where it also speaks of Jehovah creating the heavens "alone." Yet despite this the Jehovah's Witnesses insist that the Lord Jesus had a part in creating the heavens thereby (inadvertently?) affirming that the Lord Jesus is Jehovah.

Insight on the Scriptures: Jehovah’s first creation was his “only-begotten Son” (Joh 3:16), “the beginning of the creation by God.” (Re 3:14) This one, “the firstborn of all creation,” was used by Jehovah in creating all other things, those in the heavens and those upon the earth, “the things visible and the things invisible.” (Col 1:15-17) (Creation, Volume 1, 6th paragraph)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001061

Since the Lord Jesus created this demonstrates that He is God.

1. NIDNTT: Isa. 44:24: "I am the Lord, who made all things." This witness to the uniqueness and universality of God is fully aware of the first commandment and rejects every power that claims to have shared in God's work creation. This is not contradicted by the claim that through Jesus Christ all things were made (1 Cor. 8:6), in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible (Col. 1:15f.). For as "God's image" Christ is God himself in his relationship with the world (1:95, All, F. Graber).

2. William Mounce: But to Paul Jesus is the exalted Lord, Creator, sustainer, and goal of the universe; preeminent in everything, and infinitely superior to all earthly authorities and heavenly angelic powers (Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, All, page 14).

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, Faber said:

"alone" 

In citing 1 Corinthians 4:5, what applies alone to Jehovah God the Creator (a) is used in reference to the Lord Jesus (b). (The underlined below is mine)

a. The Watchtower:  Accordingly, acts of marital unfaithfulness that were not forgiven in the past may provide a basis for establishing Scripturally the right to sever the marriage tie in the sight of God. Of course, the person who chooses to do this must be willing to shoulder that responsibility before his Creator. Whereas the elders of the congregation may personally feel that forgiveness would have been more appropriate, they leave the matter in Jehovah's hands as the final judge. He alone knows the heart of the individual seeking to establish Scriptural freedom to remarry and that one’s motivations. (1 Cor. 4:5) As for any act of marital unfaithfulness that had definitely been forgiven in the past, it cannot later be used as a Scriptural basis for obtaining a divorce or for establishing the right to remarry (Questions From Readers, August 15, 1974).

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1974609

b. Revelation: Its Grand Climax At Hand!: Why does Jesus identify himself as the one “who has the seven spirits”? Because these spirits represent Jehovah’s holy spirit flowing in its fullness. Later, John describes them also as “seven eyes,” indicating the penetrating vision that God’s holy spirit bestows on Jesus. (Revelation 5:6) Thus, he is able to uncover and handle any situation that may exist. (Matthew 10:26; 1 Corinthians 4:5) (Is Your Name in the Book of Life?, Chapter 11)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101988011#h=5