The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

Should a Christian that has not been Baptized take Communion?

Some say unless a person has been Baptized that should not take of the Lords Supper. Some may agree or not agree, but here we want your thoughts, so what do you think, and if you can please use Scripture to back up your opinion.

• Like 1

The question does not specify the type of baptism. The bible mentions five types I believe of which 2 are relevant.

If you mean 'baptism of the spirit" then the person MUST be baptized. Only those "in Christ" are so baptized and only those "in Christ" should partake in communion.

If you mean 'baptism by water" then one can partake in the Lord's Supper in my opinion.

Aside: Ideally a Christian should be baptized. But if life this side of heaven must be lived in perfect obedience to qualify to partake in the Lord's Supper, then none will partake.

Aside 2: If one believes one must be water baptized to partake of the Lord's Supper one must further explain if immersion and/or sprinkling qualify a baptism (sorry for the lawyerly qualification)

• Like 1

When it gets legalistic, that Church has a problem that must be dealt with. I have never, to my memory, taken communion without mentally cleansing myself through prayer and mediation and if a person does not before partaking, they willl stand in front of the Judge alone becase it is their sin, alone. It is sin akin to that of Sodom and Gomorrah and I pray never stand in their shoes.

• Like 1

The question does not specify the type of baptism. The bible mentions five types I believe of which 2 are relevant.

If you mean 'baptism of the spirit" then the person MUST be baptized. Only those "in Christ" are so baptized and only those "in Christ" should partake in communion.

If you mean 'baptism by water" then one can partake in the Lord's Supper in my opinion.

Aside: Ideally a Christian should be baptized. But if life this side of heaven must be lived in perfect obedience to qualify to partake in the Lord's Supper, then none will partake.

Aside 2: If one believes one must be water baptized to partake of the Lord's Supper one must further explain if immersion and/or sprinkling qualify a baptism (sorry for the lawyerly qualification)

I think a lot has to be why a person has not been baptized. Was it many years after a person says they were saved? In that case if it was because they just did not think they had to; there is either a lack of understanding why they should, or fear, of we need to further explain what becoming a Christian ia truly about.

Some churches ask people who haven't been baptized, not to partake. I personally believe it should be left to the Christian them selves.

Some say unless a person has been Baptized that should not take of the Lords Supper. Some may agree or not agree, but here we want your thoughts, so what do you think, and if you can please use Scripture to back up your opinion.

No.

Christians are baptized, people. There is no such creature found in the epistles who was a Christian and not baptized.

No.

Christians are baptized, people. There is no such creature found in the epistles who was a Christian and not baptized.

No Christian in the epistles who not baptized????

Seems to me in Acts is says: 44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.

So the Holy came on Cornelius first and this was followed later by baptism. So, it seems one can be a Christian and not baptized. (An alternative is that the Holy Spirit can enter one and they speak in tongues praising God and yet the person not be a Christian... take it take a "work" of baptism to save a person)

• Like 1

I think they ought to be if it's known that they aren't. Or at least make a statement of faith. But the table shouldn't have a locked gate, just a warning to adults that if you don't believe then don't partake.

​​​​​

• Like 3

“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.

Yes. There are no such creatures found in the epistles as Christians who arent baptized. The text you quoted helps confirm the point.

“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.

Yes. There are no such creatures found in the epistles as Christians who arent baptized. The text you quoted helps confirm the point.

I need clarification.

My question: In your opinion, can a person be a Christian and not be water baptized?

My answer is yes, a person can be a Christian and not yet be baptized. For additional clarification, unless there are health issues, if a person refuses to be baptized just because they don't want to be, then I sincerely doubt his understanding ao what being a follower of jesus Christ really is.

• Like 4

It's Usually been the question of being a member of the church or not. Some churches practice member-only (closed) communion service participation.

I've never come across the requirement of baptism for participation of.

There was a young lady who refused to give her testimony as part of becoming a member of the church.

I'd grown up in a large church and it was part of church membership to present yourself to the board of deacons and give your testimony as to your salvation -- with Scripture verses. Then on Wednesday evenings, during church. Those people would be presented to the church -- sharing that brief testimony with a verse to the congregation. The congregation would vote 'yes' to accepting them into church membership. The idea Being that a person Should be able to share salvation with Scripture with your church family -- and Then share with other people in your life.

And, yes a person Can be a Christian without being baptized. Example -- a young person was visiting her grandparents during the summers. She accepted Christ through VBS -- she wanted to be baptized, but her parents were of a denomination that only did infant sprinkling. Since she had already been sprinkled, they saw no reason for any other kind of baptism. The following summer they'd moved away from the Grandparents where she'd gone to the VBS. The parents told her that if she still wanted to be baptized when she turned 18, then fine. Until Then , she was under their authority. Her grandparents had been friends of ours.

• Like 1

In the New Covenant it seems none took communion until they had been baptized and admitted into the congregation.

Are you talking about the New Covenant or New Testament? 1 Corinthians 11: 20 - 34. It talks about eating in an unworthy manner. And that he should examine himself. vs 25 Does say "this cup is the new covenant in My blood. I was simply wondering if there was an example given in the New Testament regarding baptism and the Lord's supper.

New Covenant which is the New Testament.

So they are the same thing -- so concerning the need to be baptized and the Lord's supper. I don't see where that's stated or practiced.

• Like 1

Water Baptism which is entrance into a local congregation is required. Spirit Baptism is at salvation.

• Like 2

In the New Covenant it seems none took communion until they had been baptized and admitted into the congregation.

Hi Dutch. Are you referring to early church practices with new believers? For example, the Didache seems to direct that communion (eucharistic thanksgiving) be given only to those who have been baptized.

• Like 1

Staff

Hi Dutch. Are you referring to early church practices with new believers? For example, the Didache seems to direct that communion (eucharistic thanksgiving) be given only to those who have been baptized.

Didache: Do not let anyone eat or drink of your eucharist except those who have been baptized in the name of the Lord. For the statement of the Lord applies here also: Do not give to dogs what is holy.

• Like 3

Yes. That was what I meant.

• Like 1