The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

Fear of death.

Most all of at some point in our life may experience fear of dying.

Is having the fear of death a sin for a Christian? Is it a normal thing for Christians to experience the fear of dying? What causes us to fear death?

Having been a Hospital Chaplin during a semester of Clinical Pastoral Education in Seminary, I had first hand experience with patients dying, and patients expressing the fear of death. Have you ever been with someone who died. What are your thoughts?

Here are a few verses to consider Hebrews 2:9, 14,15. 2 Timothy 1:10. 2 Corinthians 5:7.

• Like 2

I fear pain that is associated dying. Perhaps, its because in the last ten years I have had eight surgeries, and each surgery has been very much more painful that all the last ones.

For many pain and death seem to go together, or at least that has been my experience in watching several dear souls I loved go home to Jesus Christ. I haven't known anyone who died in their sleep. I watched a good number suffer with pain while cancer ate its way on the bodies of those precious souls until they could no longer take a single breath and they finally went HOME.

I am seventy two, and like William has used as a example,y plane is nearly running out of fuel, the landing lights are on, gear down, and the airport is in sight. Now the Lord is the pilot, and he has several places in which He can land my plane, one is near and the other is a good ways down the sky. I am secure with Jesus Christ making the choice of landing fields. I only ask dear Lord don't crash land.

• Like 3

I don't think it's sinful to fear pain, but don't focus on it or you'll waste the time you have left.

There were a few in my life time who I watched go through dying, looking towards an eternal future made dying a lot easier than for those who live for the here and now.

• Like 2

Depends on just what you mean by that term. There is a fear of death which is a natural and necessary part of our normal psychology. This is what makes us jump out of the way of a speeding car, or hide from a man with a gun, or avoid a mad dog. Or to seek treatment for a potentially lethal medical condition. Someone who is not afraid in such a situation is irrational, not peaceful. However, it is possible to have this natural and normal fear of that which could kill us, and yet be very much at peace with the fact that earthly existence is not forever, and that we will be going to an infinitely better existence when God chooses to call us home. Of course, for someone who does not recognize this reality, who believes that death is the end of existence, accepting death peacefully is much more difficult.

• Like 2

Most all of at some point in our life may experience fear of dying.

Are you talking fearing death or fearing dying - they are different things.

Is having the fear of death a sin for a Christian?

Yes, because it is a rejection of the Christain hope - we have eternal life and death has lost it's sting - but I don't actually think that siw aht your talking about, I think your talking about fear the process of death (ie dying) as your next question says

Is it a normal thing for Christians to experience the fear of dying?

yes, quite normal. We not created to die, when Adam and Eve were created there was no death. Death is a result of the fall and whilst we are saved from the eternal consequences in Jesus Christ, most of us will still have to face that unnatural process of dying and it can be scary.

What causes us to fear death?

Our subconscious awareness that it is appointed for man to die once, and then the judgement

Having been a Hospital Chaplin during a semester of Clinical Pastoral Education in Seminary, I had first hand experience with patients dying, and patients expressing the fear of death. Have you ever been with someone who died. What are your thoughts?

It is my pastoral experience that many Christians seem to find great comfort in the presence of Jesus Christ as they pass from this life and into the next - there might be fear, but there is often also a comfort.

• Like 1

I used to fear death, and it is surely very natural to do so.

After my close call with death in 2002, it is no longer something for me to fear. The Lord

saves us who belong to him. He is all powerful and keeps his wonderful promises.

Thanks to Jesus.

Edited by 2002
  • Like 1

Staff
I used to fear death, and it is surely very natural to do so.

After my close call with death in 2002, it is no longer something for me fear. The Lord

saves us who belong to him. He is all powerful and keeps his wonderful promises.

Thanks to Jesus.

G'day 2002,

The Lord does save His. I think, though, we must remember what that may look like. For example, the Apostles suffered greatly and died terrible deaths in Christ Jesus' name.

Just something that comes to mind, because a lot of times people say something with good intention. And others that are suffering or have experienced the death of a loved one are doubting what about me or him?

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Death is not to be feared if we belong to the Lord. It is not a goodbye into the long night, but

going home. I got my healing in 2002, but I think that I had more that I was supposed to do here, while there are others who may

already be free to go to the place that is the best.

People who have had a near death experience often no longer fear death.

When at the edge of Heaven they do not want to come back to this world.

As long as God forgives us..there is nothing to fear.

Best to you in the Lord, 2002

• Like 1

For me I don't fear going to be with the Lord. Pain is something the Lord Jesus Christ experienced beyond any ones understanding. When I have had pain so bad, I have but a very small idea what Jesus endured for my sins. A president once said the only thing we have to fear; is fear its self.

F= False Evidence Appearing as Real

The fear a unsaved person should fear is hell. and its real!

• Like 1

I no longer fear death much, but I do still fear going through awful pain.

When I almost died, in 2002, it was a pretty much relatively painless, and so to

be back in fairly good health is, in a way, a risk. Getting near death again

might well be very painful. But now that I have lived a few years, and I see that it

is worth the risk. We just need to trust him! Thanks to God.

I no longer fear death much, but I do still fear going through awful pain.

When I almost died, in 2002, it was a pretty much relatively painless, and so to

be back in fairly good health is, in a way, a risk. Getting near death again

might well be very painful. But now that I have lived a few years, and I see that it

is worth the risk. We just need to trust him! Thanks to God.

2002 I totally agree with your post, I feel the very exact way.

• Like 1