The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Paoli B.

Does God Still Kill People?

Maybe. My questions is when did God stop using death as punisment and in what way are we talking about exactly? We could say that God still kills people since all people die, the curse from Adam hasn't been lifted yet. I don't think God still strikes people dead instantly but I can't say he doesn't. I think of it more as people kill themselves by their sin which has the standard punishment of death.

• Like 1

Why do you feel that God kills people?

Not saying I feel He does.

Just wondering.

It happened in the Old Testament.

And there's a warning not to participate the wrong way at the Lord's Supper,

some could die early or get sick.

I think of it more as people kill themselves by their sin which has the standard punishment of death.

Yes.

And of course the wages of sin is death.

• Like 2

Well -- God Is the creator of all things / people. He created the perfect environment for us through Adam and then Eve -- and then again through Noah and his family. He gave Eve the first opportunity to trust His Word or believe the serpent / satan. Satan showed his great talent for deceiving people. He chose to destroy the evil in the world through the world-wide flood. The people -- over time -- showed the inborn tendency For sinfulness. Noah was given instructions for the ark and had years to work on it -- the people refused to listen to him back then. And , yes, their sinfulness killed them. God provided the ark of salvation and it was big enough for all who accepted -- Noah and his family and the animals needed to start over again with.

Re: the Lord's Supper -- we are to reflect on what Jesus Christ did on the cross for us. God knows our inner attitudes regardless of our outer actions. He's very loving, patient with us -- which is why He sent his only Son to earth to die in our place and rise again. No one still has to die in our sins.

The original plan is that we'd live forever in the Garden that God prepared for us. Eve listening to satan instead of God led to that first sin -- eating that fruit -- eventually everyone would be dying Rather than living forever. A couple of Godly men have been 'taken up' rather than dying. And the only circumstance where people won't die is when the rapture takes place. Born-again believers alive at that time Won't die. They will be taken up. They meaning the Church. The "Church" being all the people who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior will be 'raptured' up and out of this world.

And, yes, sometimes a person's life-style Will kill them. Alcoholism / drug-over doses or simply using drugs/ promiscuity. A life-style of same-sex activity.

I think we picture God's killing people by gunning them down or taking them out with a sword or striking them down with lightening. And in the Old Testament God / the Lord Did lead His armies against the enemy countries. Lots of wars taking place. People's captured and enduring captivity / slavery for hundreds of years. What God allows and prevents is in His hands. His is righteous judgement. People groups who choose to ignore Him / worship their own gods. God tells them -- if you're going to worship a 'god' -- worship the One who Created you and this world.

Maybe all this means that we need to take responsibility for our personal actions -- are they in line with God's Word? And be willing to share God's Word -- salvation - with people we know and those we cross paths with -- as the opportunity allows for. When at work -- Work and Then -- as people are willing to listen - - share -- but not shoving the Bible down their throats. Salvation can't be 'force-fed'.

As we follow God's Word and people ask Why -- we can share the 'Why'.

• Like 2

I don't think God still strikes people dead instantly but I can't say he doesn't.

I think I agree with this. I can't think of very many places where the Bible tells us that God put someone to death. Here is the place that comes to mind, can anyone else think of any others?

And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. But Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and the Lord put him to death. Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother’s wife and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.” But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his. So whenever he went in to his brother’s wife he would waste the semen on the ground, so as not to give offspring to his brother. And what he did was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and he put him to death also. (Gen 38:6-10)

I tend to think that the cases where God has actually struck someone down in a direct way, outside of what we think of natural causes, were probably very rare. Also, we only know of the ones we do because God inspired the events to be recorded in scripture. So, if it were to happen today we couldn't say for certain that it was God that did it.

Edited by Eric T.
Punctuation.
  • Like 1

A lot of people take the miraculous of Today and explain it away by giving science or coincidence credit. Are we possibly afraid that God won't come through for us --maybe because we're not in His Word as much as we Should be?! Maybe we compare God- our Heavenly Father with our earthly father.

What about this?

Acts 5:1-11King James Version (KJV)

5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.

7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.

8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.

9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.

10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.

11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

• Like 2

I n Corinthians where it talks about taking the LORDS SUPPER wrongly it says some are taken that way, So yest people can be taken because of that.

I believe that some young people can be taken home because God is protecting them or that they have accomplished all that God has assigned for them. I do not know the mind of God, but death is a sort of Graduation, or going home for a Follower of Jesus Christ.

I am 72 and a half, my life has been one full of illness, and near death times, why God has allowed me to spend nearly 49 years with my Bride, I do not know. But in many way Life is a gift, and full of Gods Grace and Mercy, which I do not deserve, but I treasure each day no matter what it brings. With Jesus Christ I can live each day until my life here is done, and I go home.

Maybe pastors should spend more time talking about the eternal homes -- This life is very short compared To eternity. For the believer it Is a Graduation to heaven.

My Mother pasted away at 98 yrs. of age. She outlived two husbands to cancer. She said she was ready to go to sleep and wake up in heaven. That's exactly what happened.

She was So ready for heaven -- but she figured that since she was still Here , she would share Christ with everyone she saw. In the Extended Care Facility her door was always open -- she'd say 'Hi' to everyone coming and going. There was a Catholic Nun there one day and she was witnessing to her, too. Ya just never know.

So - in my mom's years - you still have 26 yrs to go. :RpS_wink:

• Like 2

When was the last time you heard a pastor preaching about Heaven and Hell,

the Rapture, The Tribulation, the return of Jesus Christ?

Unfortunately not recently. A lot of that is found in book of Revelation. Some pastors avoid that book like a plague.

It Should be approached by sharing with people / congregations the importance of being spiritually ready to face eternity Now. The congregation from Sutherland Springs didn't have 'tomorrow' --they were with Jesus Christ 'now'.

Some approach Revelation with 'it will happen when it happens'. And, really, it Will. Are we Ready for it To happen.

Every Sunday, the LORDS DAY. Two Churches that I was pastor of, American Baptist, were basically ok but the denomination became so liberal I would never pastor within that denomination ever again! However I no longer have any contact with them.

Can't find a church like that here.

But I'm in a remote area and there are not many churches.

We would have to travel 2 hours.

One local pastor writes a column in our weekly newspaper.

Never saw him mention Jesus Christ in his column.

He did write a few times about God.

But not often.

Mostly all humanistic Psychologie.

Useless.

Can't find a church like that here.

But I'm in a remote area and there are not many churches.

We would have to travel 2 hours.

One local pastor writes a column in our weekly newspaper.

Never saw him mention Jesus Christ in his column.

He did write a few times about God.

But not often.

Mostly all humanistic Psychologie.

Useless.

We travel to go to our church, as we too live in a remote rural area. But Church life it vital to our Spiritual health. We don't travel 2 hours, but if it took that we would do it. Going where we go did take a adjustment to our budget for gas, going two to three time at 17 mpg requires us to be careful in making our trips count, like doing shopping at the same trip.

I would say for me no matter the distance we would travel what ever the distance to go to church.

True. And we do travel sometimes.

Different story in winter time.

Sometimes to cold and to much snow and unploughed roads.

True. And we do travel sometimes.

Different story in winter time.

Sometimes to cold and to much snow and unploughed roads.

Were you the person that lives in Canada? I can't remember who it was, if its you than I fully understand. We too get ice ans a little snow. We always have to make my doctors appointments in the afternoon as if ther is bad weather we have to wait for things to thaw out, or we have to get going as we are older now and take a little more time to get going now.

Yes, we'r up north.

Best place on earth.

I would have loved to visit Canada, but the cost of a passport has become pretty high now, and I we just can not afford traveling now. Our son goes up theer every couple of years, and enjoys the places and people. They find bargains on clothing they can't get here. So they really like Canada to isit in the summer.

We went across Canada from coast to coast 4x with our RV.

I'm not going into the US.

Cost to much to get medical insurance.

It's actually cheaper to go to Europe as far as insurance goes.

Went to Europe 6 times since 1980.

We went across Canada from coast to coast 4x with our RV.

I'm not going into the US.

Cost to much to get medical insurance.

It's actually cheaper to go to Europe as far as insurance goes.

Went to Europe 6 times since 1980.

Yes, medical insurance Is expensive in this country which is why Lots of people don't have it. We'd had school insurance for the kids -- my husband was included because he was employed by the school. We only had insurance on me while I was having kids. We waited until Medicare with Aetna. We've always been self-pay patients.

We pay 150 dollars a month for medical in Canada

(No fee for welfare people).

My son with wife and 4 kids pays the same.

That covers doctor's visits, hospital, surgery, etc.

I pay for medication myself, but when people are under a certain income level it's free.

So that's pretty good. This is in British Columba. Other provinces might be different.

Our BC Medical covers all provinces except Quebec.

Dental is not included.

We pay ourselves, but people working for large companies are covered through the work place.

For out of the country I would need extra insurance.

Since I had heart surgery it would be way to expensive for me.

Probably over 1500 dollars or something, that's a lot to add to a three or four week trip into the US.

No. God has NEVER killed anyone. We learn by scripture that it is the devil that has the power of death.

In God is life.

Let's say that death is a gun. Satan has the power of death, the gun to use as he wills.

Will God use the power of death, the gun, as His enemy does?

Hi Israel, first off, WELCOME TO CF :RpS_smile:

As for your belief that God has never killed anyone, if that's true, what do we do with passages like these? .. Genesis 19:23-25; Leviticus 10:1-2; 2 Samuel 6:6-7, 24:15-16; Acts 12:20-23 (and Genesis 7, of course).

Thanks!

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

• Like 1