The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Support

Lakewood Church Attendees Can Now Check Their Bible At Door

HOUSTON, TX—According to sources within Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church, attendees can now take advantage of a new service allowing them to check their Bibles at the door before entering the sanctuary for an uplifting message. “People who come here to watch Joel preach typically won’t need their Bibles,” a Lakewood spokesperson told reporters. “Most of […]

. . . finish reading Lakewood Church Attendees Can Now Check Their Bible At Door.

More...

• Like 1

This is just what I would expect from Joel Osteen. That way no one can check up on his unbiblical preaching. He may just think this would be a good idea.

• Like 2

From the same website comes the following:

U.S.—Stunned meteorologists reported Wednesday that the sea level has risen an astonishing 300 feet overnight,

as the sweat from celebrities trying to cover up their sexual harassment scandals rained down “in buckets.”

Vast swathes of the United States are now entirely underwater, including major coastal cities and regions,

as the investigations into various celebrities and TV personalities continue.

• Like 1

Oh dear Brother C. Lutheran lets not forget Joyce Meyer, the Copeland's, Fred Price. Joseph Prince, Benny Hinn, Jimmy Swaggert and his son, and so many others and now we can sadly, The Bible Answer Man Hank Hanegraaff. Perhaps no other person alarms me more that Hank.

These people above have demonstrated a serious flaw in using the Gospel for personal gain and power. Final judgement will be sever for those who are false teachers and preachers.

• Like 1

Oh dear Brother C. Lutheran lets not forget Joyce Meyer, the Copeland's, Fred Price. Joseph Prince, Benny Hinn, Jimmy Swaggert and his son, and so many others and now we can sadly, The Bible Answer Man Hank Hanegraaff. Perhaps no other person alarms me more that Hank.

These people above have demonstrated a serious flaw in using the Gospel for personal gain and power. Final judgement will be sever for those who are false teachers and preachers.

• Like 1

If pastors and elders in the local churches were doing what they are suppose

to be doing people would not be watching TV minstries.

• Like 2

If pastors and elders in the local churches were doing what they are suppose

to be doing people would not be watching TV minstries.

I doubt Bible preaching Church members are so inclined to watch or go to these false teachers, preachers events.

• Like 1

So, how many bible preaching church members would stay in a fly by night church?

One can only stay so long and kick the dust of their feet and leave to go elsewhere.

The bottom line is in Church leaders not doing what they are suppose to do.

Sheep leave and end up finding false shepherds......it's a fact...wether you like it or not....it's happening.

And the blood is on who's hands???? The Bible says the pastors.

So, how many bible preaching church members would stay in a fly by night church?

One can only stay so long and kick the dust of their feet and leave to go elsewhe

The bottom line is in Church leaders not doing what they are suppose to do.

Sheep leave and end up finding false shepherds......it's a fact...wether you like it or not....it's happening.

And the blood is on who's hands???? The Bible says the pastors.

I can only truly speak for my church and the churches I was the pastor. I know of denominations that I believe that have so drifted away form the Gospel, that is has become a place of social gatherings, and just watered down Gospel preaching. Some that now have allowed homosexual men and women as their pastors, I think you may know of whom I am speaking. I think most Baptist, but not all, still preach Jesus Christ as the only way to true Salvation. I am only familiar really with the Southern baptist, and Conservative Baptist Denominations as those are the two kinds of churches I was pastor of that I can speak are solid Bible believing churches. Please do not misunderstand me, I know there are other Bible preaching churches, I just can not speak with experience about them.

• Like 1

I know you don't believe in speaking with other tongues, etc

But besides that, why do you put the Swaggerts in this category?

I'm just wondering about that because I watched some of them on line

( we don't have TV here) and I actually enjoyed their preaching.

Leaving the tongue issue aside, what's the problem for you?

Jimmy Swaggert has a affair with woman while being a pastor / preacher. He was forced to resign and he agreed to go to counseling and do repentance privately and he would no longer preach until the Assemblies of God leaders saw he was ready to return to the pulpit. They felt it would take up to three years to see if he was qualified to even preach. Jimmy agreed to the terms. However after three or four months he returned to the ministry and did not abide by his commitment to the AOG. The AOG removed him from the AOG. Jimmy Swaggert not only broke his word, but his affair was with a known prostitute and payed he additional money to keep quiet, it was a real mess with lies, and he misused ministry funds as well. He is a Word of Faith preacher, his son is following the WOF movement as well.

I agree he is a very dynamic speaker, has an enthusiastic way of preaching. One point to remember rat poison is 98% pure food. Bad preaching is sometimes hidden in the excitement of great music, loud sincere enthusiastic movement of being drawn into a sorta of hypnotic way of making one fell he is talking direct to each person with general failures that most people have. For example everyone has problems, most have financial problems, some kind of physical problem, family problems, and when a preacher asks them to come down and receive their healing, solve the problems that is manipulation. No preacher can heal those issues, no matter how much money you send, or buy their CD's, or give to the ministry.

Only by the prayer in earnest to repent and turn to Jesus Christ can anyone be healed of sinful problems, its a personal issue between you and Christ Jesus with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Praise the LORD!

Jimmy Swaggert has a affair with woman while being a pastor / preacher. He was forced to resign and he agreed to go to counseling and do repentance privately and he would no longer preach until the Assemblies of God leaders saw he was ready to return to the pulpit. They felt it would take up to three years to see if he was qualified to even preach. Jimmy agreed to the terms. However after three or four months he returned to the ministry and did not abide by his commitment to the AOG. The AOG removed him from the AOG. Jimmy Swaggert not only broke his word, but his affair was with a known prostitute and payed he additional money to keep quiet, it was a real mess with lies, and he misused ministry funds as well. He is a Word of Faith preacher, his son is following the WOF movement as well.

Seems to me that's all a very long time ago and if I remember well he did repent.

As far as Word of Faith preaching, I heard him preaching against WOF.

It was actually a good message.

So, yes, he did some crazy things he never should have done.

But so did King David didn't he?

Worse, he killed the woman's husband by putting him at the front line during battle.

One point to remember rat poison is 98% pure food.

True.

But..... by this statement we better be careful about every ministry and church.

You will not find any that are 100%.

when a preacher asks them to come down and receive their healing, solve the problems that is manipulation.

I have actually seen people receive healing in church.

Jesus is still in the healing business, he's the same yesterday, today and forever.

And didn't he tell us to pray for the sick?

Seems to me that's all a very long time ago and if I remember well he did repent.

As far as Word of Faith preaching, I heard him preaching against WOF.

It was actually a good message.

So, yes, he did some crazy things he never should have done.

But so did King David didn't he?

Worse, he killed the woman's husband by putting him at the front line during battle.

The Bible is very clear that Jimmy should step down forever as a preacher. Being a Pastor and preacher is not like what the World does.

I have actually seen people receive healing in church.

Jesus is still in the healing business, he's the same yesterday, today and forever.

And didn't he tell us to pray for the sick?

would agre that God does heal people emotionally, Spiritually, and physically, however people like Swaggart do not do creditable, provable physical healings.

True.

But..... by this statement we better be careful about every ministry and church.

You will not find any that are 100%.

God is pure, He expects his preachers to have sins confessed, and clean before Him in the way he lives his life, and his history.

God is pure, He expects his preachers to have sins confessed, and clean before Him in the way he lives his life, and his history.

Well, as far as I can see that's what Jimmy Swaggert did.

Looks like God restored him and his ministry.

Checking their website and Facebook I found they have about 10 pastors on staff, also his son and grandson are preaching.

Of course that means nothing to you, but let me remind you about King David and others in scripture

who committed terrible sins, and after repentance were restored and did mighty things for God.

I'm sure glad God is a forgiving God.

If he wasn't I would not be on this forum. :-)

You need to read the qualifications for Pastor Elderd, Deacons. There is where Jimmy fails. His reputation totally failed. Sexual immorality disqualifies a man in ministry. The AOG removed Jimmy.

would agre that God does heal people emotionally, Spiritually, and physically, however people like Swaggart do not do creditable, provable physical healings.

I never said that.

And Swaggert never made that claim as far as I know.

You need to read the qualifications for Pastor Elderd, Deacons. There is where Jimmy fails. His reputation totally failed. Sexual immorality disqualifies a man in ministry. The AOG removed Jimmy.

King David got involved with sexual immorality.

Sadly, you seems to miss the point that when people repent God will will restore them and accept them.

I am well aware of the qualifications, William.

The point I'm making is that when a person repents from committing sin, God will forgive them.

When repentance is sincere that's exactly what God will do, no matter what kind of sin has been committed.

There are many people in leadership positions today who repented from various sins.

If God would not forgive people (after sincere repentance) there would be nobody qualified to preach the gospel. Not one.

David confessed his sin, received forgiveness from God,

and knew God could still use his life.

After we have confessed a sin, we know that

“He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 Jn 1:9).