The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Apologetic_Warrior

Grace and Peace to you...

...from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Some of you may remember me from Christian Forums (same username), this is the same person. A dear brother in the Lord recommended this forum, so here am I. Where to begin is the question in a post such as this. Labels are important, so how about I tag myself with a few. Christian, Trinitarian, Creationist, Protestant, Confessional, Inerrantist, Compatibilist, Revelational Epistemologist, Presuppositionalist, Calvinist, and Reformed, are a few labels which accurately describe my views. I am into God centered, Christ centered, Gospel centered theology. I am a sinner, it does impact the mind, I need daily guidance from God the Holy Spirit and His daily convicting and correction in every area of my life. I am ever in need of our great Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Prayers welcome.

• Like 4

Welcome @Apologetic_Warrior, glad to make your acquaintance. Most of your labels I recognize, but I can't remember what a Compatibilist is. Can you help me out with that one? Thanks.

Hi Eric, nice to meet you. :) I believe in the Sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man. In philosophical discussions pertaining to views ranging from determinism and libertarian free will, I am a compatibilist, meaning I believe determinism and freedom (some will use the term "free will" but if I used the term it would be quantified or with caveats) are both true and compatible with one another and both in Scripture. Hope this helps :)

• Like 3

Welcome, what kind of Presbyterian church do you belong to? PCA? OPC?....

Lables aren't important. Everything is one, man.

{Talks to self} Which bottle did I put that tylonal in? Lol.

• Like 2

Greetings and welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here. You'll find an absolute plethora of Calvinists on this site, ranging from Presbyterians to Reformed to Reformed Baptists, so you ought to be quite comfortable here. I'm a Lutheran, myself, but I find that fellowshipping here is quite edifying and even bolsters some of my own beliefs. :) God's blessings attend you, sir!

• Like 2

Welcome, what kind of Presbyterian church do you belong to? PCA? OPC?....

Already humility comes knocking at my door, and I don't want to answer. *sigh* Sorry, maybe it should not, but is a difficult question for me. Well, I cannot claim to be an official member of any brick and mortar Church. Neither can I claim to even have a college degree, not even a run of the mill four year degree. I live in an area where you see more trees than man constructed buildings. I am married and unfortunately we cannot afford another automobile, much less afford the maintenance, gas, and insurance another would require. Years ago we discussed the matter, and my wife wanted to be the one to work...she is easily the more social one between the two of us. Over the years she has had a number of jobs, and most of them, including her current one, requires working on Sunday's. This is not to say I have not tried looking for work because I did, for quite awhile, especially before I had a heart attack (among other health issues) and before my job became stay at home daddy, which saves us a bundle on childcare costs, and more importantly, we know our son is in good hands. Anyway, because I cannot walk to a Church, and with my son, we rarely have opportunity to attend any Church. There is one Presbyterian Church in the area, for decades it remained in the PCUSA, but a couple of years ago, under a new pastor, they left PCUSA for ECO. If I had the choice, I would be a member of the OPC, but I do not see that happening anytime in the foreseeable future. Sorry for such a long response to what should be a simple answer.

• Like 4

G'evening and welcome to Christforums!

Neat~o, another Presbyterian!

Speaking of labels and bottles, I'm a "wet" Presbyterian which believes in drinking fine brews within moderation is totally to be enjoyed!

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tCalvin beer.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t43.6 KB ID:\t55527","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"55527","data-size":"custom","height":"300","width":"450"}[/ATTACH]

God bless,

William

Hello brother William, thank you for the warm welcome. :) Wife and I can only afford occasional cheap "wine" like Seagrams wild berry or strawberry, flavorful stuff! We used to smoke, of course couldn't afford Presbyterian tobbaco's, but we switched over to vaping, great fruity flavors!

• Like 2

Already humility comes knocking at my door, and I don't want to answer. *sigh* Sorry, maybe it should not, but is a difficult question for me. Well, I cannot claim to be an official member of any brick and mortar Church. Neither can I claim to even have a college degree, not even a run of the mill four year degree. I live in an area where you see more trees than man constructed buildings. I am married and unfortunately we cannot afford another automobile, much less afford the maintenance, gas, and insurance another would require. Years ago we discussed the matter, and my wife wanted to be the one to work...she is easily the more social one between the two of us. Over the years she has had a number of jobs, and most of them, including her current one, requires working on Sunday's. This is not to say I have not tried looking for work because I did, for quite awhile, especially before I had a heart attack (among other health issues) and before my job became stay at home daddy, which saves us a bundle on childcare costs, and more importantly, we know our son is in good hands. Anyway, because I cannot walk to a Church, and with my son, we rarely have opportunity to attend any Church. There is one Presbyterian Church in the area, for decades it remained in the PCUSA, but a couple of years ago, under a new pastor, they left PCUSA for ECO. If I had the choice, I would be a member of the OPC, but I do not see that happening anytime in the foreseeable future. Sorry for such a long response to what should be a simple answer.

Living in rural places can be pretty tough. If you don't have a car you can't get to a job, and if you don't have a job you can't get a car, and even if you have a car you can't put gas in it. I'm in a similar situation, I live in rural Mississippi and haven't found a job for years, the car we had needed tons repair, right after we had the brakes fixed the engine. So all we could do was sell it to a scrap yard, we no car but were still paying for the old repairs. But thank God for my uncle letting me borrow his, otherwise I couldn't go anywhere.

I don't any education to tell expect what I learned outside of school. I graduated with a sepical education certificate and failed in a college welding course. I'll never be good at math, I haven't advanced past dividing fractions and even simple equations confuse me. But I learned plenty anyway because I know how to teach myself.

Remember that Scripture tells us God chose the weak things to defiy the strong, he made what's not to humble what is.

Stay strong in Christ brother.

​​​​​

• Like 2

I too live in a very rural area. Even with an education, somethings are beyond our control. I know a good number of well educated people that don't have a lick of common sense. So don't think education makes you a godly person. Walking by FAITH is what God calls us to do. Making due with what a person has, and taking care of what we have is very important. I once heard a man say he "had money he had not borrowed yet".

The area I live in has some extremely impoverished people, and a few that by poor peoples standard are rich. But in reality those who have Christ Jesus and are doing the best they can with what the Lord provides are really rich people.

Its not where you live that tells who you really are. Romans 1 tells us that being thankful is praising God. In July 2016 Our only vehicle was hit with electronic interference from a lightening strike. It did a large dollar amount of damage to our house. The vehicle damage cane to $4,700.00 and the house had to have a new braker box and rewired in a few places, the computer, router, printer, TV and phones all had to be replaced. I doubt you would believe how the LORD provided to replace the household items, and fix the vehicle, we have very little money and yet it was all fixed and items replaced in three months.

• Like 3

I too live in a very rural area. Even with an education, somethings are beyond our control. I know a good number of well educated people that don't have a lick of common sense. So don't think education makes you a godly person. Walking by FAITH is what God calls us to do. Making due with what a person has, and taking care of what we have is very important. I once heard a man say he "had money he had not borrowed yet".

The area I live in has some extremely impoverished people, and a few that by poor peoples standard are rich. But in reality those who have Christ Jesus and are doing the best they can with what the Lord provides are really rich people.

Its not where you live that tells who you really are. Romans 1 tells us that being thankful is praising God. In July 2016 Our only vehicle was hit with electronic interference from a lightening strike. It did a large dollar amount of damage to our house. The vehicle damage cane to $4,700.00 and the house had to have a new braker box and rewired in a few places, the computer, router, printer, TV and phones all had to be replaced. I doubt you would believe how the LORD provided to replace the household items, and fix the vehicle, we have very little money and yet it was all fixed and items replaced in three months.

Thank you for sharing brother! We live complicated lives, some more than others. So complicated that we can think we halfway know a person when we know very little, which is why I find it extremely difficult to speak much of anything about my personal life anywhere on the internet anymore.

Welcome to the forum. What labels to you apply to your views of eschatology? Are you a premillennialist or an amillennialist?

Unfortunately I am undecided, but whatever eschatology I may claim, it must align with Reformed soteriology, theology proper, bibliology, christology, and so on historically even.

Warrior, I share what is appropriate and not embarrassment for me, my wife or family. Sometimes sharing difficulties gives others strength to know its possible to endure and concur life and its difficulties with the life support in Jesus Christ.

Recently I was really depressed due to a health issue. I was really down, I felt like I was distant from my heavenly Father, reading Scripture became very difficult. My medical issue caused depression. When the problem was calmed down I began to feel relief. It was if a big load was off my soul. Times when we feel distant it not always because of sin, as medical issues play havoc within our mental, spiritual health, I can sympathize with others in depression much better now.