The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
TonyT

Discovered through a DNA test that I have no Jewish DNA and I am actually a Gentile

This is really shocking to me. I thought that my paternal grandmother was Jewish. My dad tells me to tell others that Jewish is my ethnicity. Guess I can't do that anymore according to the DNA test. There is no Jewish DNA to be found on the surface whatsoever in me.

Would being a Jew mean that you're one of God's specially chosen Jewish people? Being a Gentile is perfectly okay -- God extended salvation to Gentiles as well as the Jews.

Is it a problem for you?! And Why.

• Like 1

How would anyone tell after the flesh though? Bloodwork DNA?

How about Circumcision?

My husband is an unbelieving circumcised Pollock as far as I know.

Paul said a Jew is one who is so inwardly, hows that proven? lol

Back to bloodwork?

Somehow I feel that is not what Paul meant

TonyT's bio info says his denomination is Messianic. Apparently he thought he had some Jewishnes in his family background and he didn't Afterall.

Are you talking about the Paul in the Bible? or is that really Tony T's real name?

Also noticed that he hasn't been back on to reply. So 'we' may never know.

Your description of your husband -- an unbelieving, circumcised Pollock. An interesting background.

I don't really mind being Swedish/ German background. That makes me a Gentile. I can live with that. The German part of me is Eisenhauer.

Are you talking about the Paul in the Bible? or is that really Tony T's real name?

Paul the apostle referencing Romans 2:29

But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly;

and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit,

and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

This is really shocking to me. I thought that my paternal grandmother was Jewish. My dad tells me to tell others that Jewish is my ethnicity. Guess I can't do that anymore according to the DNA test. There is no Jewish DNA to be found on the surface whatsoever in me.

You may or may not see this, but according to your age profile, you are young enough to get past some misconceptions you might have had about your heritage growing up. According to what I've read about Jewish Law ( Halacha), you're not actually Jewish unless your mother's mother is or was a Jewess. I'm completely an outsider looking in on this. My bloodline is utterly Gentile, largely English, partly Scottish/ Scots- Irish, 1/8 French and 1/ 16 German. I descend from Colonial settlers in the southeastern part of what is now the United States. Instead of grieving for what you are not, have you thought about researching the heritage your DNA test says that you have? It might be an exciting adventure of sorts for you to contact some DNA relatives and begin to learn something about your true heritage. God bless you, man. :RpS_cool:

• Like 1

Do none of you see that TonyT might be a bit upset that he has lived his entire life thinking something that is false? Has anyone got an empathetic bone in his body here? Tony's very identity has been shaken. His father has told him something that isn't true, and now he might be feeling a bit shaken by this. Is that too difficult to understand?

One obvious reason for the DNA test issue is that Tony is adopted. Might that be enough to shake anyone up for a bit (if it is indeed the case)

• Like 2

His bio info also says he's in the 18-24 yrs age bracket. His 'entire life' hasn't been that long. Obviously his very identity has been shaken by this. The question would be Why? He had his DNA checked -- seems there's not a shred of Jewishness in his blood line. But Why would that matter?

Unless -- it's Also a matter of his being adopted and he just found out. As 'thatbrian' has commented on. But that would be speculation -- it would be interesting to hear back from TonyT.

• Like 1

His bio info also says he's in the 18-24 yrs age bracket. His 'entire life' hasn't been that long. Obviously his very identity has been shaken by this. The question would be Why? He had his DNA checked -- seems there's not a shred of Jewishness in his blood line. But Why would that matter?

I can't speak to being Jewish, but as an Italian American let me offer the personal observation that "Italian" is part of our (my family) cultural DNA as much as any biological DNA. To suddenly discover that I had been misinformed and I was not Italian would leave a large hole in my cultural self-identity. I suspect that for a Messianic Jew, his Jewish biology/cultural heritage is an even bigger deal than being Italian American.

I get how that could throw someone for a loop. If you are not who you always thought you are, then who are you? That is the question that he will need to answer for himself. (He has suffered an attack on his Church Denomination and Historic Cultural Identity at the same time.)

Edited by atpollard
  • Like 1

I can't speak to being Jewish, but as an Italian American let me offer the personal observation that "Italian" is part of our (my family) cultural DNA as much as any biological DNA. To suddenly discover that I had been misinformed and I was not Italian would leave a large hole in my cultural self-identity. I suspect that for a Messianic Jew, his Jewish biology/cultural heritage is an even bidder deal than being Italian American.

I get how that could throw someone for a loop. If you are not who you always thought you are, then who are you? That is the question that he will need to answer for himself. (He has suffered an attack on his Church Denomination and Historic Cultural Identity at the same time.)

All right, I suppose that I could see that. When religious affiliation is also added to one's ethnic identity, I suppose that learning that you're not of a certain heritage could be an even bigger blow to your sense of identity than if you grew up believing you were Irish, only to find out that you were English, for example. It would require him to make some major adjustments in his self- identification. Of course, his beliefs would be harder to change, but would he necessarily have to do that to remain in good standing in a Messianic synagogue? Could he not just be Bar Mitzvahed ( if he hadn't already been) and formally solidify his membership?

• Like 1

Go back to the New Testement and reread the messages to the Jews. Consider this: God warned, and delivered on the warning, that Israel was under a curse. The axe was taken to every branch that rejected Messiah and they were cast out. However, YOU (not as a Jew, but as an individual) were NOT cast out by Jesus Christ. You are a branch that Jesus deliberately sought out and collected for himself and grafted into the vine.

You are as Jewish as Abraham, who was also chosen by the LORD. You are as Jewish as Enoch, who walked with the LORD. YOU, the specific individual, were chosen by the same LORD to walk with the same LORD and be grafted (both through adoption and through Grace) into the True Vine of Israel.

If Jesus calls you to worship Him through the Law and Grace (as a Messianic Jewish member of the body), then God Bless you and grant you favor. However, wherever God calls you to worship, you are the Body of Christ ... which trumps any child of Israel by a mile.

• Like 2

Go back to the New Testement and reread the messages to the Jews. Consider this: God warned, and delivered on the warning, that Israel was under a curse. The axe was taken to every branch that rejected Messiah and they were cast out. However, YOU (not as a Jew, but as an individual) were NOT cast out by Jesus Christ. You are a branch that Jesus deliberately sought out and collected for himself and grafted into the vine.

You are as Jewish as Abraham, who was also chosen by the LORD. You are as Jewish as Enoch, who walked with the LORD. YOU, the specific individual, were chosen by the same LORD to walk with the same LORD and be grafted (both through adoption and through Grace) into the True Vine of Israel.

If Jesus calls you to worship Him through the Law and Grace (as a Messianic Jewish member of the body), then God Bless you and grant you favor. However, wherever God calls you to worship, you are the Body of Christ ... which trumps any child of Israel by a mile.

This right here, @TonyT ! @atpollard is absolutely right. In Christ, we are all of the House of Israel, redeemed children of the King of Kings! What better heritage can we ask for than the one given to us by God Himself which includes forgiveness of all our sins and life eternal in the Presence of our Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier?

• Like 1

How does a person worship God through the Law and Grace-- Law is Old Testament -- Grace is New Testament. Grace Replaces the Law.

How does a person worship God through the Law and Grace-- Law is Old Testament -- Grace is New Testament. Grace Replaces the Law.

Yet, the Law has not disappeared. Matthew 5: 17 - 20 states this: 17“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. http://biblehub.com/esv/matthew/5.htm.

The Law exists principally for three reasons: #1: That wild passions might be restrained by the outward observance of the Law, #2: That people would be brought to a full understanding of how impossible it is to keep the Law due to their own partaking in Original Sin and #3: That those who have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit might have a guide in how they can best live a God- pleasing life.

We are given the Gospel to reassure us of the forgiveness of our sins through Christ Jesus and Him alone. The Law exists to rebuke sin and bring about repentance. The Gospel exists to let we who have been terrified by the Law know that in Jesus Christ, all our sins have been forgiven and we live a new and eternal Life in Him. We rightly divide the Scriptures between the Law and the Gospel and do not allow those messages to become mingled together.

• Like 2

Why are Messianic Jews a denomination?

Are there promises and regulations within the covenant with Israel that a biological decendent of Israel would be wrong to desire to obey and maintain even today?

The Judiaisers in Acts were wrong to require gentiles to become Jews to follow Christ, but are Jews forbidden from obeying both the Law and following Christ? (Obviously, they do not need animal sacrifices, but are they free to refrain from pork and shellfish? Can they obey Malachi and expect God to honor his OT promise? Has God revolked his covenant with them?)

The truth is, I don't know the answer. I am just not comfortable telling a Jew that he must ignore everything that God commanded of him and his people in the OT. God did not deliver my fathers from bondage in Egypt, so the details of that agreement were not for me. I do not accept the OT burdens, nor do I lay claims to the OT promises (except through Jesus Christ). I read the OT to learn about the unchanging God that has offered me a 'better promise' (Hebrews) whose promises and restrictions I do accept. A Jewish Christian may be entitled to follow both covenants in their quest to honor God. Who am I to say otherwise.

Let God and his Holy Spirit guide them in such a decision. (so long as they keep their yoke off of another).

• Like 2

Yet, the Law has not disappeared. Matthew 5: 17 - 20 states this: 17“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. http://biblehub.com/esv/matthew/5.htm.

The Law exists principally for three reasons: #1: That wild passions might be restrained by the outward observance of the Law, #2: That people would be brought to a full understanding of how impossible it is to keep the Law due to their own partaking in Original Sin and #3: That those who have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit might have a guide in how they can best live a God- pleasing life.

We are given the Gospel to reassure us of the forgiveness of our sins through Christ Jesus and Him alone. The Law exists to rebuke sin and bring about repentance. The Gospel exists to let we who have been terrified by the Law know that in Jesus Christ, all our sins have been forgiven and we live a new and eternal Life in Him. We rightly divide the Scriptures between the Law and the Gospel and do not allow those messages to become mingled together.

What a very LUTHERAN answer. :RpS_thumbsup:

• Like 2

What a very LUTHERAN answer. :RpS_thumbsup:

Thank you kindly, sir! :RpS_cool: Of course, when I look back at it, it just seems rather " common sense" to me.. which is probably why I'm Lutheran.. it's the best way for me to live as a Christian!:RpS_thumbup: We all might live in different houses ( or " denominations," if you like), but we're still one Family!:RpS_biggrin:

How would a DNA test reveal his parent's conversion? That is, if they truly are Jewish despite DNA tests.

Blood descent is not the only means by which one can be a Jew.

Correct me if wrong.

God bless,

William

Since Tony performed a DNA test to answer this question, it's assumes that we are talking about ethnicity.

• Like 2

Why are people so interested in where they came from, Heck. Adam came from Dust of the ground for criminy's sack.

I've heard about this 23 and me company that is supposed to identify all these traits.

:RpS_biggrin:

Someone got his done and he wasn't all that satisfied. he said it wasn't fair. I told him. If life was fair all the men would look like Brad Pitt. I look more like Arm Pitt! :RpS_w00t::RpS_w00t::RpS_w00t::RpS_w00t:

• Like 2

I can't believe I'm actually doing this here, but if it makes our friend feel better, I'll go ahead and share my own 23 and Me readout. Surely you're not quite this boring..

If I'm interpreting your read-out correctly -- you're mostly European. So are most of us. Yes, totally boring -- :RpS_wink:

I'm Swedish / German.

• Like 1