SovereignGraceSingles

Welcome to SovereignGraceSingles.com. Where Reformed Faith and Romance Come Together! We are the only Christian dating website for Christian Singles in the Reformed Faith worldwide. Our focus is to bring together Christian singles of all ages. Reformed single Christian men and women who wish to meet other Reformed Christian singles for spiritually, like-minded, loving relationships.

SovereignGraceSingles

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” - Genesis 2:18

SovereignGraceSingles

Meet Like Minded Believers Can two walk together except they be agreed? - Amos 3:3

SovereignGraceSingles

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

SovereignGraceSingles

SGS offers a "fenced" community: both for private single members and also a public Protestant forums open to Bible-believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene-derived Christian Church.
Sign in to follow this  
hoper

Can we pray for shortening the days of the Second Coming?

hoper

As Christians, at least some of us are looking forward to the return of Jesus (call it Rapture, Second Coming or any other way and regardless the different interpretations of the intermediate events)

Now usually, we pray the Lord for good things that we would like in our lives because Jesus has taught us to ASK for good things we want in many passages (Luke 18, 1:8, John 14:13-14, Matthew 21:22, John 16:24, and many others)

It is reasonable to think that asking is an important step in the relationship between men and God.

And what to ask? In the Lord prayer, there are are many (if not all) passages that will be fulfilled completely only on the Second Coming:

"your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven."

- The kingdom of the Lord has not completely come, and His will is not completely done on earth, and it will not until His return, and the separation of sheeps and goats.

"And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from the evil one.’"

- Same here: the only way in which we will be COMPLETELY freed and delivered from temptation and the evil one, will be on the Last day, by entering his Kingdom, separated from the goats.

Then curiosly, in Matthew 24:22 we find "for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened".

Now I have 2 QUESTIONS:

1) As Christian, would you really be happy if the Second Coming would happen in a month? Or in a week? Or today? Or would you prefer to first do some mundane things and you'd rather prefer Him to come later? (Matthew 22: 1-14, Luke 19:14)

2) Provided that we usually ask for many things never mentioned in the Gospel, and we hope them to be fulfilled, wouldn't it be right to ask for such thing as the Return of the Lord? At least there is some probability that is a correct prayer. If it's not, it wouldn't have hurt to try, but if it is right, it will means enter into the Kingdom of Heaven and be delivered from evil immediately, not only for us but for everyone living now.

3) What if the Lord is waiting for people, at least His elects, really wanting and ASKING for His return, to shorten the days?

----------------------------------------------------------

NOTE

To a possible objection like "if the day will be shortened, some people will not have time to repent" there are at least 2 answers:

- Every day new people born in this world full of temptations (Luke 4:6), and there are more people at risk of losing the way, than people who repent.

- If someone has the seed of repentance in his earth, it's not to exclude that he will be saved in the last day even if he didn't publicly confessed to be Christian because they haven't met Christ yet.

If it wouldn't be like this, then every population who did not hear of Christ in the past and now would be condemned, and this is not the case, because those who pursued good and searched for the Truth would have listened to the Lord and convert if had the occasion (Romans 2:15) (think about people like Socrates), so they will likely be saved anyway.

theophilus

The return of Jesus and the shortening of the days are both things that Jesus has said will happen. There doesn't seem to be any point in praying about them. However there is one thing connected to his return that we are commanded to pray about.

So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let the one who is on the housetop not go down to take what is in his house, and let the one who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak. And alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath. For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be. And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

Matthew 24:15-22 ESV

hoper
That is, God brings about what He sovereignly ordained by the prayer of His peoples.

I agree with the very interesting reply by William.

I think the Gospel shows us 2 complementary means of prayers. One, quoted by William, is to align ourselves to God's will.

The other is to actively ask for what is good (Luke 5:12-14, Matthew 15:21-28, Matthew 7:7-12) Indeed, often in the Gospel the Lord knows that a thing is good, but still, he waits for us to ask for it.

The fact that Jesus prophetized His returns, doesn't exclude that the prayer of the elects may be useful to hasten the days because if he prophetized it by knowing the future, he would have known about his elects prayers too.

As I said, the 2 means of prayer above are complementary: only by aligning to God's will, we can ask something good and something that God could give us.

hoper
And welcome hoper to Christforums!

Thank you! Pleasure to meet you AND theophilus

Two more great examples:

Great examples indeed!

Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. 13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

This really resembles Jesus' words:"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Let's pray together then :) Maranatha

• Like 1

hoper

• He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

I believe the prophet John beat us to it when this above left his lips.

Yes, he preceded us on this :) And so did the Lord with the Lord's prayer.

I like the glorious description of that day that you described though quotes :) And like you, I believe that for anything that we may do here, we could do much better things on that day. Looking forward to meeting the Triumphant Church.

So, if what we have found in these scriptures is true, not only keeping this discussed intention in the prayer is important, but also it is important to discuss it with fellow Christians for 2 reasons:

1) As you mentioned above, to align our will with God's will. By hoping for the hastening of Glorious Day, we will prepare our hearts for what matters, and keep this into account in our life, and remember every day our final goal.

Indeed I know too many Christians who are only living for worldly things, and either fear that Day as something bad or don't believe in it.

2) Not only we will prepare our hearts, but if it's in God's will for our prayer to have an effect on this, we will effectively hasten His return, this way doing good to millions of people.

What do you think? And do you know about fellow Christians sharing and teaching today this intention? :)

Just Mike

Jesus said only the Father knows when He will return. I don't think praying for an earlier return is a correct way to pray. Better IMO that we ask God for the courage to endure.

By praying "Your will be done" we are submitting to the plan of the Father, perhaos to do otherwise we are asking out of Gods will thus praying in a sinful way?

hoper

Hi justme and thanks for your reasoning. I'd say that the above answers by William should answer this.

Jesus said only the Father knows when He will return

Completely true that no one knows the day, and it is wrong to guess predicitions .

But this doesn't imply that we can't ask to hasten it. We don't know when and if our prayers will be fulfilled, when we ask any other thing like a conversion or a healing, but still we ask.

Again, not knowing doesn't imply the usefulness of asking. Moreover, the Father knows the future, so we don't know if he decided the date knowing the prayers from his elects too. That could lead to an interpretation of "for the sake of the elect the days will be shortened".

Many times Jesus wants to actively to actively ask for what is good (Luke 5:12-14, Matthew 15:21-28, Matthew 7:7-12, Jeremiah 29:12-14, Job 42:78) before giving us it.

Jesus said only the Father knows when He will return. I don't think praying for an earlier return is a correct way to pray. Better IMO that we ask God for the courage to endure.

By praying "Your will be done" we are submitting to the plan of the Father, perhaos to do otherwise we are asking out of Gods will thus praying in a sinful way?

If you think about it, your reasoning can be applied to any prayer, thus any prayer could be sinful. But it's not the case, because we are asking this in accordance to His will too.

If His will is that our prayers have influence when we ask good things, then we could be listened according to His will. "Deliver us from the evil one" can only be executed in the Last day.

And maybe, we should really ask for it.