The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Support

'Touched by an Angel' Star Della Reese Dies at 86

Della Reese, well- known TV actress and gospel-influenced singer who found her greatest fame as Tess, the wise angel in the long-running television drama "Touched by an Angel," has died at age 86.

More...

While we mainly watched "Touched by an Angel" which was pretty awful from a Biblical aspect it was entertaining. She was also a woman pastor ordained and had a congregation, not sure how many members it had. She lived a long life.

While we mainly watched "Touched by an Angel" which was pretty awful from a Biblical aspect it was entertaining. She was also a woman pastor ordained and had a congregation, not sure how many members it had. She lived a long life.

Oh, my -- another great actress has passed away. But, I had no idea that she was a woman pastor. I'd have to agree with you -- it Was pretty awful from the Biblical aspect. Kind of goes to show that - given a good actor / actress and good story line -- there Are programs that we watch which are really Not Biblical and go against Scripture.

I don't remember watching it much -- possibly because it was on the same time as another program that I really Did like.

Another program -- The Good Witch is a favorite of mine. I started watching it simply because Kathrine Bell was in it. She was a favorite from 'JAG'. And Scripture says to not mess around with the spirit world -- witches / warlocks and such. And - trust me - I Don't. But that program reminded me of "Bewitched' from when I was growing up. That was a favorite, too. Back then it was so outlandish it was fun to watch. If the program had depicted what the Real life of witches and such was like -- would anyone have Watched it? Probably not. It was possibly more like sci-fi that we have now.

But, I guess, to some extent -- The Good Witch is actually more family oriented than lots of the programming that Is available. And now that James Denton is in it as the Dr. I Really like it. I really like medical programs. And Sure there are some down-sides to the story lines. They go all out for Halloween like we would for Christmas. But she's a really nice, Good witch and who can say 'no' to watching Her and all the intrigue. And she doesn't Look like a witch -- what ever a witch Would look like.

I Have been watching the Hallmark Christmas movies -- they've been good.

Sorry, didn't see this one before I started my thread.

The one thing I will say about Touched by an Angel was that it was closer to Christian values than most shows on television or in media. While it may not have been Biblically faithful, it did manage to handle some of the tougher issues quite well, including the episode set in China with a dissident. I'd be happier with children watching that than most of the modern shows.

• Like 2

Sorry, didn't see this one before I started my thread.

The one thing I will say about Touched by an Angel was that it was closer to Christian values than most shows on television or in media. While it may not have been Biblically faithful, it did manage to handle some of the tougher issues quite well, including the episode set in China with a dissident. I'd be happier with children watching that than most of the modern shows.

Watching TV with our kids CAN produce good teaching opportunities.