The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Eric T.

Will We Have Male and Female Genders in Heaven?

What do you think is meant by Matthew 22:30, where our Lord says, "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

Do you think this means there will be no discernable gender to our glorified bodies? Or rather, do you think it means there will be no bearing and raising of children?

• Like 2

There will be no marriage in heaven and hence no children. Since the saints will have resurrection bodies there will be "male" and female" I assume. Marriage is for this life not the future life.

• Like 2

There will be no marriage in heaven

This is a hard saying for both my wife and myself. It is difficult for us to imagine us not having some kind of special relationship in heaven, just as we enjoy now. I guess I can imagine no procreation of children, although that seems a loss too, but for my wife to be no different to me than any other saint is (for now) unthinkable.

Since the saints will have resurrection bodies there will be "male" and female" I assume.

Yes, this is the way I see it too.

This is a hard saying for both my wife and myself. It is difficult for us to imagine us not having some kind of special relationship in heaven, just as we enjoy now

I think we will love as God loves, so the love we have for our spouses and children, will not compare to the love we will feel once in Gods presents

• Like 2

There will be no marriage in heaven and hence no children. Since the saints will have resurrection bodies there will be "male" and female" I assume. Marriage is for this life not the future life.

Hi Dutch,

I disagree with your premise of our having bodies, after our resurrection. John said: John 4:24: “God is spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and truth.” and in 1 John 3:2 "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is." Sounds like we will be spirits too.

Yours, Deade

And yet Christ had a body when he rose from the dead, and we shall be like him. And when he returns all the world will see him.

• Like 3

I wonder will we have some way to know the family members that rejected Jesus, and are in eternal punishment? What kind of acknowledgement will we have for our wife and children, parents, and so forth?

This is a hard saying for both my wife and myself. It is difficult for us to imagine us not having some kind of special relationship in heaven, just as we enjoy now. I guess I can imagine no procreation of children, although that seems a loss too, but for my wife to be no different to me than any other saint is (for now) unthinkable.

Those desires you have for you wife will pass away I would imagine. But I think our fellowship in heaven will surpass what we know of as relationships in this life. Think of it, the grandest reunion in all of existence.

What do you think is meant by Matthew 22:30, where our Lord says, "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

Do you think this means there will be no discernible gender to our glorified bodies? Or rather, do you think it means there will be no bearing and raising of children?

I believe the optimal word in that question will be discernible Will we be of the perspective that such things are discernible, at all. I don't think lust or desire will be there, so it would not be an issue. The dirrent sexes were for procreate and the attraction is to bring man and women together to provide the world with a child. I don't think the attraction will be there so there will be no recognition of male or female.

There will be no need for marriage (it is a picture of Christ and his bride) and no need to bear and raise children.

• Like 1

Do you think this means there will be no discernable gender to our glorified bodies? Or rather, do you think it means there will be no bearing and raising of children?

I think that the soul hasn't a gender, it's spiritual body. The souls are created by God, not by the other souls.

• Like 1

I think that the soul hasn't a gender, it's spiritual body. The souls are created by God, not by the other souls.

If God created us male and female, why wouldn't that somehow show up in who we were on Earth? What's your thoughts?

God, in my experience, is never about less than we can imagine; God is always about more than we imagine.

Think of "Marriage" like a quiet dinner around the family table in the kitchen ... it is special and it is intimate and it is something good.

Think of "Heaven" like a Thanksgiving Feast at a long dining room table with the extended family. Everyone in that room is related to everyone else in that room and everyone is having an espeially good time. So if pressed for an answer, one would have to say that there is no quiet dinner converstation between just the husband and wife at the Thanksgiving Table ... but does that really make celebrating Thanksgiving with your parents and grandparents and greatgrandparents and brothers and sisters and cousins and all their children, worse than a typical dinner for two in the kitchen?

Why should the PERFECT love of heaven be less than the IMPERFECT love of this life? There will be no more marriage because Jesus is the perfect bridegroom and we are all transformed into His perfect bride. We will love all more deeply than we currently are capable of loving our spouse. God is the God of more, not less.

Hi everyone,

I still think we will be spirits. If our bodies have matter, they would not be indestructible. Say a bomb went off in our presence: boom! We would be gone. We are going to be in the family of God and we will be like Him. John 4:24: “God is spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and truth.” That said, I think we could form bodies to eat, drink, etc. But our lives won't be depended on their survival.

The main reason, for us to get this right, is to understand what the Lord is coming back for. It will help discern the scriptures. With our computers, this is what God said would happen in the last days. Daniel 12:4: "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

There is a big responsibility for us to unseal the prophecies, of the times ahead.

Yours,

Deade

Mark 16:6 NASB And he *said to them, “Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him.

Luke 24:3 NASB but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.

Luke 24:12 NASB But Peter got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he *saw the linen wrappings [fn]only; and he went away to his home, marveling at what had happened.

John 20:6-7 NASB And so Simon Peter also *came, following him, and entered the tomb; and he *saw the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings, but rolled up in a place by itself.

(Jesus left no body behind, his old physical body was taken with him.)

Luke 24:6 NASB “He is not here, but He has risen[G1453]. Remember how He spoke to you while He was still in Galilee,

(Strong's G1453 means ἐγείρω egeírō, eg-i'-ro; probably akin to the base of G58 (through the idea of collecting one's faculties); to waken (transitively or intransitively), i.e. rouse (literally, from sleep, from sitting or lying, from disease, from death; or figuratively, from obscurity, inactivity, ruins, nonexistence):—awake, lift (up), raise (again, up), rear up, (a-)rise (again, up), stand, take up. ... Jesus physically 'got up' according to the Greek.

Luke 24:28-35 NASB

28 And they approached the village where they were going, and He acted as though He were going farther. 29 But they urged Him, saying, “Stay with us, for it is getting toward evening, and the day is now nearly over.” So He went in to stay with them. 30 When He had reclined at the table with them, He took the bread and blessed it, and breaking it, He began giving it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him; and He vanished from their sight. 32 They said to one another, “Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?” 33 And they got up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and found gathered together the eleven and those who were with them, 34 saying, “The Lord has really risen and has appeared to Simon.” 35 They began to relate their experiences on the road and how He was recognized by them in the breaking of the bread.

Luke 24:37-43 NASB 37 But they were startled and frightened and thought that they were seeing a spirit. 38 And He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” 40 And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. 41 While they still could not believe it because of their joy and amazement, He said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?” 42 They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; 43 and He took it and ate it before them.

(Jesus walked and reclined and 'broke bread' ... a phrase that typically means to share a meal ... and handed things and diappeared. Jesus had a body, but was not limited by physics. It was real, but not mortal. Jesus even SAID so!)

• Like 1

Well atpollard,

I think Jesus' body might have been for recognition purposes. Also to fulfill the prophecy that His body would not see corruption: Psalms 16:10: "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption." In any case I cannot see Jesus going for all eternity with those holes in His body.

Paul even suggested that He won't look the same: 2 Corinthians 5:16: "Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we Him no more."

I think if we were to lay eyes on Jesus today, He would reflect the glory of the Father. Just saying...

Yours,

Deade

And yet Christ had a body when he rose from the dead, and we shall be like him. And when he returns all the world will see him.

are you sure or will He come as a thief in the night so none will see Him - wincam

Well atpollard,

I think Jesus' body might have been for recognition purposes. Also to fulfill the prophecy that His body would not see corruption: Psalms 16:10: "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption." In any case I cannot see Jesus going for all eternity with those holes in His body.

Paul even suggested that He won't look the same: 2 Corinthians 5:16: "Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we Him no more."

I think if we were to lay eyes on Jesus today, He would reflect the glory of the Father. Just saying...

Yours,

Deade

we are using physical/material/carnal keys to try and open spiritual doors - both religion and science have dematerialised matter but it still holds us spellbound as a devilish enchantment - wincam

Eric T My wife and I feel the same way. We both are what our doctors now refer us as "elderly" so the reality of one of us beling left alone is closer than we like to think. We have talked about this recently and both of had tears. Getting ready to go home is part of life we must prepare for.

are you sure or will He come as a thief in the night so none will see Him - wincam

Hi wincam,

Here is your reference to the thief in the night: 1 Thessalonians 5:2-4: “For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.”

Here are references to the glorified Jesus: Matthew 16:27: “For the Son of man shall come in the glory of His Father with His angels; and then He shall reward every man according to his works.” Matthew 24:30: “And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.”

Yours, Deade

I think we will have male and female genders in heaven in our glorified bodies.

Hi CDF47,

I think these scriptures might say otherwise:

Galatians 3:26-29 "For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."

Yours,

Deade :RpS_thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hi CDF47,

Galatians 3:26-29 "For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."

Yours,

the male represents humankind for he carries both x and y chromosomes and the woman came from man - twinc

Hi CDF47,

Yours,

I don't think that verse specifies what we will look like in Heaven. I think our glorified bodies will look much the same as our current bodies but be perfected in design.