The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Support

Could it Happen here? How One Church is Preparing for a Mass Shooting

Support

As church leaders across the country considered how to respond — to comfort their congregations but also to make them feel safe — nearly 80 people from churches across Michigan, Indiana and Illinois gathered at Prairie Baptist for the training presented by Strategos, the largest church security training ministry in the world.

More...

Sue D.

That could and has happened Anywhere -- our pastors Should be sharing with their congregation how to be prepared to take a stand for God even when it might mean being shot in the process. How many 'church goers' are prepared Spiritually? How many church goers have the assurance of being with Christ immediately when death Does come? And - how many Potential shooters Could be led to the Lord Instead of being killed. And how do We react? Every gunman has a soul that will end up somewhere -- heaven or hell.

David Lee

Hi Sue, what if the gunman at a church shooting is a Christian who has lost his mind, and the church he enters that day is filled with non-believers who are anything but prepared to go to Heaven?

Maybe our churches should prepare our members to properly defend themselves against such attacks (rather than preparing them for the fact that they may be slaughtered), and do so quite publicly, in fact, so that we are no longer considered "soft targets". Then everyone would live, because these gunmen, who are always cowards, would no longer attempt such attacks against us.

Just FYI, I was baptized as an infant, loved and attended Sunday School and then church regularly through college, and I always believed myself a Christian as a result (so you can imagine my great surprise on the day I finally became one at age 30). Going to church, as important as it is for a Christian, doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger :RpS_blink: So it seems to me that the right thing (and I believe the Biblical thing) to do in such cases is to be prepared 1. to protect the innocent and 2. to stop those who are doing evil (if possible, w/o killing them, of course).

--David

Sue D.
@David Lee -- There are no easy answers. A person who would do this is Not in his / her right mind. And, in reality, a person Could get taken out by a drunk driver or a believer who runs a red light and hits us. So, people out there -- am "I" ready to meet my Savior? I am :RpS_smile: