The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
clark thompson

Dan 7:8

clark thompson

Daniel 7:8 King James Version (KJV)

8 I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns plucked up by the roots: and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things.

Daniel 7:8

Darby 8 I considered the horns, and behold, there came up among them another, a little horn, before which three of the first horns were plucked up by the roots; and behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking great things.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

Daniel was trying to understanding and know what the horns meant, how much time and effort do what put into understanding scripture because if we are lead by God it never is too much but often not enough. This means that this smaller weaker horn will over take the bigger ones. This would be the antichrist.

Eric T.

Hi @clark thompson, thanks for this post. I am (for sure) no expert on Daniel and don't really have any thoughts of my own on it, but I did find some interesting commentary from Sinclair Ferguson on the passage. I think it is worth reading, so even though it is a bit lengthy, I'll quote it here:

The final beast to rise is the most terrible of all. There is something unique about it: “It was different from all the beasts that were before it” (v. 7). Unlike the first three, it is not likened to any creature or combination of creatures. Daniel describes it first in general terms: “dreadful and terrible, exceedingly strong.” Then he draws attention to its “iron teeth” and the way it devoured, broke in pieces, and then trampled whatever was left under its feet. Here is orderly, monotonous, ruthless expansion. It was said of the Roman Empire, “They make a desert and call it ‘peace.’ ” If what Daniel here envisions is Rome, the description is altogether appropriate.

Ten horns appeared on this monster (v. 8). Suddenly Daniel’s gaze was drawn to “another horn, a little one, coming up among them.” Three of the original ten horns were “plucked out” before it. We are probably not intended to trace specific identifications for these numbers. Ten could be a symbol of completeness here. Three, in this instance, could represent a sizable segment. What fascinates Daniel, however, is the little horn. It has “eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking pompous words.” For all its inordinate power, this horn represents an individual; for all its real humanity, it is dominated by pride and self-glory. Nothing is said at this point about the sovereign will of God in relation to this beast or to the enigmatic little horn. Here it seems that we encounter autonomous humanity. The outcome is certain to be a cataclysmic conflict with the sovereign God. Then, dramatically, the scene changes once again. We have seen an unfinished portrait, and—as we shall see—there is a powerful, important, but unspoken message in this too.

THE VISION OF GOD

9 “I watched till thrones were put in place,

And the Ancient of Days was seated;

His garment was white as snow,

And the hair of His head was like pure wool.

His throne was a fiery flame,

Its wheels a burning fire;

10 A fiery stream issued

And came forth from before Him.

A thousand thousands ministered to Him;

Ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him.

The court was seated,

And the books were opened.

11 “I watched then because of the sound of the pompous words which the horn was speaking; I watched till the beast was slain, and its body destroyed and given to the burning flame. 12 As for the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away, yet their lives were prolonged for a season and a time.

13 “I was watching in the night visions,

And behold, One like the Son of Man,

Coming with the clouds of heaven!

He came to the Ancient of Days,

And they brought Him near before Him.

14 Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom,

That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him.

His dominion is an everlasting dominion,

Which shall not pass away,

And His kingdom the one

Which shall not be destroyed.

—Daniel 7:9–14

As one part of the vision faded into another, Daniel stood and “watched” (v. 9). Three scenes followed in rapid succession.

The first contrasts strongly with the confusion and noise of the opening scene (v. 2). Here, as in the Book of Revelation, all is calm and orderly in the presence of God (cf. Rev. 4:6 where the sea is as calm as glass in God’s presence and the four creatures are devoted to worship). The heavenly court was assembled, and God sat in judgment. In contrast to the hectic and often demoniacally inspired activity of the earthly kingdoms, God sits on the universal throne. The little kingdoms have their day; however, God is “the Ancient of Days.” The kingdoms rise and fall, but Daniel sees a God whose ways are everlasting. His plans stretch into eternity whereas the plans of a Nebuchadnezzar or an Alexander or a Caesar are ephemeral.

God wears a garment “white as snow “—He has never compromised His righteous dealings in establishing His kingdom, as humans have in gaining their kingdoms. Human kingdoms are always caught up in feverish activity, military or diplomatic, but “the Ancient of Days was seated.” He is never taken by surprise, never undecided, never in a panic about His world. He reigns. In the face of the terrible havoc that people are able to cause, Daniel is reminded that ultimate authority does not reside in Babylon, Persia, Greece, or Rome. It is in the hands of God. It is Isaiah’s age-old lesson that Daniel is to learn and we with him: “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever… For He brings down those who dwell on high” (Is. 26:3–5). Ultimate power is not centered in Washington, D.C., or London or Beijing or Moscow. It lies in the hands of God.

There is even more to this vision of God than His sovereign tranquility. There is the element of judgment. God’s throne is ablaze and from it flows a stream of flame. This is the imagery of divine judgment; compare it with the psalm:

Our God shall come, and shall not keep silent;

A fire shall devour before Him,

And it shall be very tempestuous all around Him.

He shall call to the heavens from above,

And to the earth, that He may judge His people.

—Psalm 50:3–4

In Daniel’s vision the judgment of the divine court will go in favor of the saints of God. It will mean the destruction of the powers of darkness and of the kingdoms of this world order. All this is intimated when “The court was seated, and the books were opened” (v. 10).

Daniel is also given an overwhelming picture of the triumph of God: “A thousand thousands ministered to Him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him” (v. 10). In a new way, Daniel, who had so often dared to stand alone, must have realized, “I am not alone.” Myriads of others served the Lord with him. He was an earthly outpost of the heavenly garrison. He was learning some of the implications of Paul’s later words, “Seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory” (Col. 3:1–4).

Christians who have this vision of God and His throne will never feel alone and isolated. They will find their point of orientation not on earth but in heaven (Phil. 3:20–21). Their perspective on history will not arise from below (that is, from “the Great Sea” of v. 2) but from above, from the throne of God. Others may claim to see things realistically rather than idealistically; Christians, on the other hand, will try to gain God’s perspective in order to see them as they really are.

A missionary returning to the United States, in the days when all overseas travel was by ship, found himself arriving in New York Harbor on the same vessel as an acclaimed national figure. Crowds waited on the quay to greet this person. The missionary could not help but feel the contrast. He had been laboring for the treasure that does not perish, pouring his life’s blood into sowing the seed of the gospel. As he scanned the faces on the dock, he realized that no one had come to welcome him “home.” As he began to submerge in a wave of self-pity he realized the truth as clearly as if a voice had spoken to him from heaven: “Do not be discouraged; you have not yet reached home.” This was a new perspective for Daniel, too. It is the perspective to which we are all exhorted:

You have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.

—Hebrews 12:22–24

If we succeed in absorbing the impact of the vision of the Ancient of Days, what follows will seem the less surprising; indeed, it possesses a certain inevitability. Daniel’s attention is drawn back from heaven to earth “because of the sound of the pompous words which the horn was speaking” (v. 11). What did he see? He briefly describes the death of the beast and the destruction of its body. It is an amazing anticlimax, but it is intended to be so. True world dominion belongs exclusively to God; all others who seek it will be cut short in their path. The other beasts lose their dominion although their days are prolonged in some sense “for a season and a time,” presumably meaning an extended period that continues but is brought definitely to an end. The books that were opened (v. 10) are closed. God sets things in final order.

Ferguson, S. B., & Ogilvie, L. J. (1988). Daniel (Vol. 21, pp. 140–144). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Inc.

If you like this, the volume can be found here: https://www.christianbook.com/the-preachers-commentary-vol-21-daniel/sinclair-ferguson/9780785247951/pd/47955