The Protestant Community

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

Lottery tickets, like any other form of gambling, are an appeal to human greed and the hope of getting something for nothing. A few people buy a winning lottery ticket but generally the only winners are those who run the lotteries.

Lottery tickets, like any other form of gambling, are an appeal to human greed and the hope of getting something for nothing. A few people buy a winning lottery ticket but generally the only winners are those who run the lotteries.

Very true

I detest it when news organizations (yes, even Fox News) report on it in terms of telling us the amount that could be won. The press is good at interviewing the people standing in line excited to buy their tickets and perhaps whoever won.

What we never hear about is all those who lost that spent their kids milk money and other money set aside for food, rent, etc. in following a foolish pursuit (Proverbs 23:5).

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 3:19 AM, fairystar said:

what do you think about buying lottery tickets?My mom's bf always buys them,I personally think they are a waste of money but that is my opinion.

Buying lottery tickets and gambling are a form of stealing money from others through the game of chance, luck or probability. Buying non-mandatory insurance is based on similar principles.

Chances of winning a lottery is very very low. Chances of losing in a lottery is very very very high. So, all the money collected from the many many many greedy and gullible losers is used to pay the one or very few as-greedy lottery winner/s, with the greedy lottery company and government taking their profit cuts and taxes of about 10% to 30% from the total money collected. This is how money is stolen from the many millions of greedy and gullible losers.

....... A person may buy lottery tickets regularly for 50 years and likely will never win.

Insurance play on people's fears. Money is collected from many many "lucky" survivors/non-afflicted to pay off the very few "unlucky" deads/afflicted with the insurance company taking a profit cut of about 10% to 20%. Lucky and unlucky depends on one's perspective. The family of the dead person collecting his/her life insurance money may consider themselves as "lucky".

If Christians are law-abiding, avoid sinning and work hard, nothing calamitous will befall on them and they will likely become rich or well-off = no need to buy any lottery or insurance. OTOH, they should be prudent in their spending and have some savings to cover any unforeseen contingencies. ...

Romans2:8-11 = ... 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, 9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; 10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

Edited by discipler77
  • Like 1

Great post just above.

I also think about the people whose lives were ruined even though they won the lottery. I heard one person was murdered (maybe more were?)....not to mention the turmoil it causes among family, friends or perhaps co-workers who feel they didn't get their fair share. I'm pretty sure others use it as a time to buy everything in sight, booze up, get high, travel around and sleep around with countless women.

I am not saying all do this but I have read stories from the past about it.

Again, the post above is spot on. The insatiable lust for wealth simply drives people mad.

1 Timothy 6:8

• Like 1

Staff
6 hours ago, discipler77 said:

If Christians are law-abiding, avoid sinning and work hard, nothing calamitous will befall on them and they will likely become rich or well-off = no need to buy any lottery or insurance. OTOH, they should be prudent in their spending and have some savings to cover any unforeseen contingencies. ...

Really?  No real Christians suffer tornadoes? A good few years back No Christians were effected by Sandy?  and all the other hurricanes.  California quakes only strike non Christians ..  Mississippi floods ... Wildfires .. Bad guys never attack Christians. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Becky said:

Really?  No real Christians suffer tornadoes? A good few years back No Christians were effected by Sandy?  and all the other hurricanes.  California quakes only strike non Christians ..  Mississippi floods ... Wildfires .. Bad guys never attack Christians. 

Proverbs3:1-26 =

1 My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands;
2 For length of days and long life And peace they will add to you.

3 Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart,
4 And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man.

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil.
8 It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones. ...

21 My son, let them not depart from your eyes— Keep sound wisdom and discretion;
22 So they will be life to your soul And grace to your neck.

23 Then you will walk safely in your way, And your foot will not stumble.
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet.
25 Do not be afraid of sudden terror, Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes;
26 For the Lord will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught.

Proverbs1:24-27 =

24 Because I have called and you refused, I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded,
25 Because you disdained all my counsel, And would have none of my rebuke,

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your terror comes,
27 When your terror comes like a storm, And your destruction comes like a whirlwind, When distress and anguish come upon you.

Really and truly, as per the Word of God. There were also many Christians in the affected areas who were not afflicted or terrorized by the above calamities, eg by tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes or even deadly accidents, terrorist-attacks and terminal cancer. Why were other Christians afflicted.? Ask God. Only God knows the true reasons why.

Mature Christians should trust in God rather than trust in non-mandatory insurance and lottery tickets.

Staff

Trusting in the Lord and using good stewardship do not have to be at odds with each other. .. Lottery tickets are not in the same playing field as insurance. 

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, fairystar said:

what do you think about buying lottery tickets?My mom's bf always buys them,I personally think they are a waste of money but that is my opinion.

I do very well with scratch offs . As long as I win, I will purchase them.

Edited by Matthew Duvall
spelling

8 hours ago, Becky said:

Trusting in the Lord and using good stewardship do not have to be at odds with each other. .. Lottery tickets are not in the same playing field as insurance. 

Matthew 6:24 = [ You Cannot Serve God and Riches ] “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Most buyers of lottery tickets hope to strike it rich. Similarly for buyers of non-government-mandated insurance, ie either for themselves or for their beneficiaries, with others having to pay for their "loss" or calamities or costly hospitalization. Hence, we have cases of life insurance fraud running into US$ millions.

Good stewardship of money is to trust/fear God + avoid evil-deeds(= avoid monetary loss from God-appointed calamities), work hard and save for a rainy day, and not buying lottery tickets and insurance.

Lottery tickets and insurance for the masses only became common in the world after the 1960s, ie their sales were aided by technological advances, eg telecommunications and mass media.

So do people advocate not insuring their homes and cars? I personally have house insurance and in Australia many people who have had their houses burned through bushfires etc have been left with nothing. I just think that it is responsible, maybe others see it as not believing in God enough. I would be interested in others opinions.

I know nowadays you are bombarded with insurance for everything and it can play on our fears.

I don’t gamble because I don’t enjoy buying a ticket and seeing if my number hits. I’ve played a few scratch offs in my life - well fewer than 50 times. It’s fun to buy a ticket with each of my kids and each of us scratch off and see who if any one wins. Certainly gambling can be an addiction and cause great harm. Is gambling a sin - of course not. But it certainly can become a sin. 

1 hour ago, Amanda Lee said:

I would be interested in others opinions.

For most ordinary folks, buying a home is a once-in-a-lifetime financial commitment, similar to marriage being or should be a once-in-a-lifetime emotional commitment. It would do well for mature Christians to let God direct their path in the choice of their home(eg location) as per Proverbs3:6, so as to avoid the pitfalls/calamities of Proverbs1:27.

Mature Christians willingly buying Home insurance, which is a non-govt-mandated insurance, may be ignorantly opening the door for Satan to attack them financially and materially, like the calamities suffered by ignorant Job = God's permissive will.

In theory, evil-doing/law-breaking and untrusting Christians should buy as much insurance as they can since the calamities of Proverbs1:26-27 are bound to befall them, but all the insurance will likely be to no avail.

Edited by discipler77

So you believe any Christian with insurance is not trusting God?

I have never heard such a thing.

I'm not talking of insuring every single thing but basic house and car. 

And in some countries I guess it could also mean health or they may not be able to see a doctor without money up front.

Well if that is the case would you then you would also agree to never save money either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amanda Lee said:

So you believe any Christian with insurance is not trusting God?

No, only mature Christians who are very well-versed with the Word of God or Bible, especially law-abiding and trusting Jewish Christians like apostle Paul, John and Peter.

Immature or "baby" Christians, especially new Gentile Christians, tend to be more carnal or fall into sins/evil-deeds/law-breaking ignorantly or foolishly - 1Corinthians3:1-3 = they will undergo chastening by God in order to be able to grow gradually into spiritual maturity or adulthood = to eventually become a man or woman of God.(Hebrews12:7-11) Insurance coverage may negate this chastening and growth process by eliminating or reducing the consequences of bad behaviour or sins, eg "spare the rod(of discipline) and spoil the child".

....... Example ... a bad or careless car-driver who caused serious damages to cars in accidents will tend to not improve his/her bad or careless driving if insurance covers most of the damages. This is one of the reasons the cost of 1st-party or comprehensive car insurance tend to increase yearly. ...

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2018/07/05/why-detroit-is-the-most-expensive-city-in-america-to-buy-car-insurance

The average cost of insurance premiums in the city is $5,414 per year, more than twice the state average and nearly four times the national average. For the typical Detroit household, making $26,300 a year, this would represent 21% of pre-tax income. Cars are an inescapable necessity in Motor City, a 140-square-mile expanse lacking robust public transportation.

Staff

A parable 

(Mat 25:14)  For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

(Mat 25:15)  And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

(Mat 25:16)  Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.

(Mat 25:17)  And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.

(Mat 25:18)  But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

(Mat 25:19)  After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

(Mat 25:20)  And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.

(Mat 25:21)  His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

(Mat 25:22)  He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.

(Mat 25:23)  His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

(Mat 25:24)  Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

(Mat 25:25)  And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

(Mat 25:26)  His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

(Mat 25:27)  Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.

(Mat 25:28)  Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

(Mat 25:29)  For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

(Mat 25:30)  And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.