The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Eric T.

10 Lessons from Reformation in the SBC

When I first saw that Dr. R. Albert Mohler wrote the article I was reluctant to read it. Dr, Mohler was out spoken against President Trump while he was running for president, and I thought his SBC leadership as a SBC Seminary President was inappropriate of him to make his voice so loudly heard within the SBC. For Dr. Mohler speak against Mr. Trump gave many the impression that he was supporting Mrs. Clinton. That might have been his intention, but that was the results his voice gave many, which was totally wrong by Dr. Mohler.

This is an excellent article! The issue for Southern Baptists now is many who went to SBC Seminaries from 1960 to even as late at 1990 were educated b liberal Professors. The results being that today many pastors still in the pulpit today are very liberal. I attended MidWestern Baptist Theological Seminary, in Kansas City, Missouri in 1985 and 1986. I experienced very liberal teaching by a few professors, my adviser who was one of the most godly men I have even known suggested i move to another near b seminary that was conservative, which I did. While at MidWestern I witnessed fighting in the halls, and the President was liberal as well.

Today the SBC has a serious problem as a good number pastors are liberal and the effort to being uniformity in the SB Convention is a up hill movement. To bring real change for the SBC is going to take decades, and may even take a split to accomplish more uniformity theologically. However i doubt it is possible to ever have same mind thinking within any church let alone a denomination.

Perhaps the biggest issue now within the SBC is Calvinism, this is causing a division and many reject the notion that a larger number of Seminary professors are Calvinistic. There is a movement to bring balance to the seminaries in this regard.

There will never be a time when even within a SB Church that everyone will think the same. I applaud the effort to bring the SBC denomination back to a conservative position theologically.

justme

• Like 2

William. Liberty University president came out and loudly supported trump, Dr, Mohler who holds a very important leadership in the SBC came out and could not support trump.

Now the real issue. Should religious leadership make their choice in voting as an open public announcement? I say no. That's just my opinion. I do not want my tithes and offerings going to SBC leadership going political. Now if a pastor or a person. in high leadership wants to privately state who he is voting for that is his right. But to use a religious position in order to influence a large number of voters within a denominations that really burns me up. Again just my opinion. Remember I am a SB retired pastor and this was made open within the denomination. Blessings.

justme

There seem to have been a great many denominations and institutions that have been lost to theological liberalism. It seemed that we always lost the struggle. That's why I think the case of the SBC is so encouraging. As Mohler makes clear, with the right polity and people who are willing to endure the fight, it is possible to reclaim an organization that is falling into apostasy. But, people have to be willing to pay the cost.I think he is also correct that we have to have clear confessions and insist that people stick to them or they have to leave.

• Like 1

well liberalism in this country is the political correctness norm, enforced everywhere you go schools public places social media hence the truth is vulgar now. but what should be vulgar to a Christian is main street main stream society. it was quite effective wasn't it? so don't expect the leadership to change its justification is the society its in. most protestant churches are made up to satisfy the membership correct? so when does the chooses of men meat the choices of the Lord? it didn't happen in Israel and will not in the church.

I didn't know trump repealed that heinous amendment, that was in response to Rev King's use of the pulpit for political and social change. kudos to trump on that one.

there's no sin in the pulpit telling the congregation it's views on society, which includes the political realm. that tax law was crammed down Non profit's throat as though it was the mandatory way to file. this allowed the corrupt to be corrupt and wicked without the church calling them on it.

there's no controversy to it, only miss info or fact, either the tax law is still on the books or its not, everything else is hocus pocus, and smoke and mirrors. I don't care who did it, if its a goner is all that matters. its a underhanded act on Johnson's part. all Johnson was trying to do is suppress the church's involvement in society. trying to take the wind out of Martin Luther King's sails. now its the liberal's claim that religion should stay out of it, and on top of that its the liberal voice of church authorities that get the public voice.

media only interviews those who have the views they seek to promote.