The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
fairystar

Do you believe in angels?

fairystar

Do you believe in angels?give me your thoughts here

fairystar

Also I had forgotten to post this before but a few months after my brother died my mom and some other family members of mine were at my youngest nephew's graduation,my brother had died a few months before my nephew's graduation,what happened was my nephew's name got called,he was walking up to get his high school diploma,as soon as he got his diploma,a feather had fallen on my mom's lap,my mom to this day thinks that it was my brother and that he is an angel.

jud50
Do you believe in angels?give me your thoughts here

Yes.

• Like 1

fairystar

That is unscriptural and sounds rather superstitious. We do not become angels after death.

God bless,

William

I don't understand,I thought that you could

Origen
Staff
I don't understand,I thought that you could
The Scriptures in no way support such a view.

• Like 1

Eric T.
Do you believe in angels?

Absolutely. Angels, like us, were created by God so I guess that makes them one of his creatures, although unlike us they are not restricted to this physical universe and they inhabit the angelic realm. Also, they seem to be very powerful. It is interesting that many times in the Bible, when someone meets an angel they are very afraid, so it seems angels are often terrifying, rather than warm and fuzzy, so to speak. I think, along with all the good stuff William has posted, this might be interesting. See what you think.

ANGEL Created beings whose primary function is to serve and worship God. Though some interpret the “us” in Gen. 1:26 as inclusive of God and His angelic court, the Bible does not comment as to when they were created. Unlike God they are not eternal or omniscient. The Hebrew word in the OT is malʾak, and the NT Greek word is angelos. They both mean “messenger” and occasionally refer to human messengers.

Classification of Angels Angels not only carry messages to people (Gen. 18:9–16; Judg. 13:2–24; Luke 1:13, 30; 2:8–15), they also carry out God’s will as He directs them (Ps. 148:2–5; Col. 1:16). The Bible offers little description of angelic messengers because the focus is on the message and not the messenger. Angels also performed tasks as mediators (Acts 7:53; Gal. 3:19; Rev. 1:1; 10:1).

Angels also serve God in His heavenly court. Titles such as “sons of God” (Gen. 6:2–4; Job 1:6; 2:1), “holy ones” (Ps. 89:5; Dan. 4:13), and “heavenly hosts” (Luke 2:13) identify angels as celestial beings who worship God (Luke 2:13–15; Rev. 19:1–3), attend His throne (Rev. 5:11; 7:11), and make up God’s army (1 Sam. 1:11; 1 Chron. 12:22).

Angels are sometimes identified as winged creatures—the cherubim and seraphim. These angels appear in Ezekiel’s visions (Eze 1:4–28; 10:1–22) and in Isa. 6:2–6. Cherubim are primarily guards/attendants to God’s throne, whereas seraphim attend God’s throne and offer praises to Him.

Angelic Appearance The physical appearance of angels varies, based on their categorization. Unlike popular imagery, only cherubim and seraphim have wings. Within biblical texts angels always appear as men and never as women or children. Angels identify with humans on the basis of form, language, and action. Angelic uniqueness is sometimes evidenced in Scripture by their activity or appearing in ways humans do not (Gen. 16:1–11; Exod. 3:2; Num. 22:23; Judg. 6:21; 13:20; John 20:12). The feature of a brilliant white appearance of angels occurs only in the NT (Mark 16:5).

Guardian Angels Though the term “guardian angel” does not occur in the Bible, many people believe angels are assigned to believers for this purpose on a permanent basis. Others hold that angels intervene in human history but in unique situations to assist believers (Pss. 34:7; 91:11–12; Acts 12:6–11, 15). Hebrews 1:14 confirms that angels do service to believers but by God’s will and under His direction.

Angels are described as heavenly beings in the very presence of God (Matt. 18:10). They cannot be in heaven and on earth simultaneously. A likely interpretation of “their angels” in the presence of God is that they are poised for action at God’s command. The angelic guardianship that is apportioned to the faithful appears as a universal phenomenon rather than as an individual one.

Angels at Christ’s Return Angels predicted Jesus would personally, bodily, visibly come again to earth (Matt. 25:31; Acts 1:11). In His second advent Christ will descend from heaven (1 Thess. 1:10) with the voice of the archangel and the trump of God (1 Thess. 4:16; 2 Thess. 1:7). According to 2 Thess. 1:7, angels will accompany Him as the executors of His decrees.

Mark 13:26–27 addresses the second coming of “the Son of Man.” These verses describe the coming of Jesus with great power and glory and sending His angels to gather His elect. Many scholars assign the fulfillment of prophecy in Mark 13 to A.D. 70 in connection with the Roman destruction of Jerusalem and the temple. It is clear, however, that much of this text refers to His triumphant final return. Verse 27 confirms that the Son of Man will send angels to gather the elect. Angelic appearance often marked a turning point in biblical history (Gen. 18:9–15; Luke 1:13, 26–38; 2:8–15). Matthew’s parallel passage (24:31) adds that the angels will gather the elect “with a loud trumpet.” Angels will gather believers where believers will be like the angels in that they will not die or marry in heaven (Luke 20:35).

By performing this act, angels will assist in vindicating believers in the very presence of their enemies (Rev. 11:12). Angels will worship Christ at His return (Heb. 1:6). Likewise, believers will join the angels in the praise of God in heaven (Rev. 5:13; 19:6).

Angels and the Final Judgment The theme of angelic involvement in divine judgment occurs in both the OT and NT. According to 2 Kings 19:35, the angel of the Lord put to death 185,000 Assyrians, whereas 2 Sam. 24:16 reports that the angel of the Lord brought death to the children of Israel until the Lord told him to stay his hand at Jerusalem (2 Sam. 24:16). Exodus 14:19–20 records that the angel of the Lord stood between the Hebrews and the Egyptians, which resulted in the deliverance of the Hebrews and the subsequent destruction of the Egyptians in the Red Sea.

Some of these references pertained to immediate judgment and some to a final judgment (Gen. 19:12–13; 2 Sam. 24:16–17; 2 Kings 19:35; Ezek. 9:1, 5, 7). The NT likewise offers several examples of angelic participation in the judgment of evil, including immediate judgment (Acts 12:23) and a futuristic and final judgment (Rev. 8:6–9:21; 16:1–17; 18:1, 21; 19:11–14, 17–21; 20:1–3). At the crucifixion Jesus could have called upon 12 legions of angels in order to execute immediate judgment on those who crucified and mocked Him (Matt. 26:53).

According to Rev. 14:14–16, “the Son of Man” will gather the grain harvest (the believer), while Rev. 14:17–20 describes angels as gathering the unbelievers for the purpose of judgment. Angels will gather the “wheat” and the “tares” in the name of “the Son of Man” and by His authority (cp. Matt. 13:36–43). Angels will also gather impenitent people for Christ’s judgment so that they may be cast into fire (Matt. 13:39–43; 2 Thess. 1:7–10). See Archangel; Cherub, Cherubim; Seraphim.

Steven L. Cox

Cox, S. L. (2003). Angel. In C. Brand, C. Draper, A. England, S. Bond, E. R. Clendenen, & T. C. Butler (Eds.), Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary (pp. 66–67). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.

• Like 1

theophilus
my mom to this day thinks that it was my brother and that he is an angel.

Angels are beings created by God. They are not humans who have died. Here is a good place to find out more about them: https://carm.org/questions-about-angels

Also, angels don't have wings so the presence of a feather is not evidence that angels have been present: https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/do-angels-have-wings/

• Like 1

Sue D.

Angels are beings created by God. They are not humans who have died. Here is a good place to find out more about them: https://carm.org/questions-about-angels

Also, angels don't have wings so the presence of a feather is not evidence that angels have been present: https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/do-angels-have-wings/

@ fairystar's comment about her mother's belief that her son is an angel. A feather had fallen on her lap? Where did the feather come from? Or is that the point with your mother -- she Does sound like a fairly superstitious person. And some RCC people believe that people become angels upon their death. Or maybe it's more children who become angels when they die. Back when my older grandson died -- he was almost 14 and an organization that I connected with for a short time had both the kids' birthday and their 'angel day' celebrated. I didn't stay with that group cause I didn't believe that.

Sounds like she finds a lot of comfort in that concept. -- but it's a False comfort. Maybe , someday, she will be willing to listen to Bible.

• Like 2

fairystar

@ fairystar's comment about her mother's belief that her son is an angel. A feather had fallen on her lap? Where did the feather come from? Or is that the point with your mother -- she Does sound like a fairly superstitious person. And some RCC people believe that people become angels upon their death. Or maybe it's more children who become angels when they die. Back when my older grandson died -- he was almost 14 and an organization that I connected with for a short time had both the kids' birthday and their 'angel day' celebrated. I didn't stay with that group cause I didn't believe that.

Sounds like she finds a lot of comfort in that concept. -- but it's a False comfort. Maybe , someday, she will be willing to listen to Bible.

No my mom is not superstititous

Eric T.
Also, angels don't have wings so the presence of a feather is not evidence that angels have been present: Do angels have wings? | clydeherrin

Well, I don't know if it's true to say that angels don't have wings. This assumes that it would be correct to argue that the cherubim and seraphim are not angles and that we know exactly what an angel (who has no physical body) looks like when he is not making himself visible for our benefit. Cherubim and seraphim, which for sure do have wings, are classified as angles in some of the bible dictionaries. I think it is helpful to think of all such beings as angelic creatures or beings which seems to broaden the category a little.

As for feathers, I have no idea what kind of wings these creatures have or if feathers are involved. Of course, without feathers the wings might be more leathery like bat wings, which puts me off the idea, How about fur?

• Like 1

Sue D.

No my mom is not superstititous

Back up in post #4 you'd commented that a feather had fallen on your mother's lap during a nephew's graduation. Your mother had said that it was a feather from your brother because angels had wings. Where did the feather come from?

fairystar

Back up in post #4 you'd commented that a feather had fallen on your mother's lap during a nephew's graduation. Your mother had said that it was a feather from your brother because angels had wings. Where did the feather come from?

This is going to sound superstitous but it fell from the sky,it really did and the feather really did fall on my mom's lap I saw it happen and so did all of my family that was there.

Sue D.

This is going to sound superstitous but it fell from the sky,it really did and the feather really did fall on my mom's lap I saw it happen and so did all of my family that was there.

So it was an outside graduation -- a bird flying by was simply shedding feathers?! Not intending to sound mean-spirited -- but Maybe she should be thankful it wasn't bird poop that landed on her instead of a feather. And That has happened.

fairystar

So it was an outside graduation -- a bird flying by was simply shedding feathers?! Not intending to sound mean-spirited -- but Maybe she should be thankful it wasn't bird poop that landed on her instead of a feather. And That has happened.

That happened to my dad before when I was a little girl,I was at the beach with my dad and a bird had 💩 on his head

• Like 1

Beau Michel

Yes ,Angels are Scriptural as has been said. However as also stated people do not change into angels after death.Also if people really had an encounter with an angel they would tremble and quake like all God's people have throughout history.What I don't believe in are the cute little baby angels or the feminine representation of angels. Angels are popular today(in their non biblical form) because they give people a secure feeling while requiring absolutely nothing from them, kind of like the God they have created in their own image.

• Like 3

Innerfire89

Yes, I believe in angels. But there's a need to test anything and everything. You'll find that with people who talk alot about angels don't talk much about Christ, for some, they're main focus is angels and miracles.

Satan appears as angel of light.

Now I'm not saying your mother is crazy or a false Christian or any such thing, she just saw what she thought was a sign.

But with people who go on and on about seeing angels beware. Col. 2:18.

• Like 4

Sue D.
Yes ,Angels are Scriptural as has been said. However as also stated people do not change into angels after death.Also if people really had an encounter with an angel they would tremble and quake like all God's people have throughout history.What I don't believe in are the cute little baby angels or the feminine representation of angels. Angels are popular today(in their non biblical form) because they give people a secure feeling while requiring absolutely nothing from them, kind of like the God they have created in their own image.

Hmmm -- regarding the secure feeling but requiring nothing from the person. Interesting.

Paoli B.
Also, angels don't have wings

How do you know?

Sue D.

I'm thinking that the cherubim or seraphim on the ark of the covenant Did have wings. Maybe some do and some don't. And it seems like the RCC have angels with wings. Scriptural or not. Never really thought about it until now.

That would be interesting to "Google". A person can get many perspectives from there. A person can read and discern what sounds Scriptural and what doesn't.

There Are various times in the Old Testament where angels Do appear as ordinary men as to not draw attention to themselves.

• Like 1

Paoli B.
I'm thinking that the cherubim or seraphim on the ark of the covenant Did have wings

Yes they did.

But some would say this was a vision.

Paoli B.

I believe in angels.

But I sure don't believe in feathers fallen down and all that other stuff, like gold flakes falling from the sky.

Sue D.

Yes they did.

But some would say this was a vision.

That the angels on the ark was a vision? That passage is found in Exodus 25 : 17 - 22. The description of the cherubim with their wings. The materials they were to be made out of.

"Some" would say a lot of things.

Sue D.
I believe in angels.

But I sure don't believe in feathers fallen down and all that other stuff, like gold flakes falling from the sky.

It was suggested to her that her mother was a bit superstitious -- her mother might have seen a 'vision' because she wanted to 'feel' the presence of her son. And who was going to say anything differently to her. No one at a wedding.

• Like 1

Paoli B.

That the angels on the ark was a vision? That passage is found in Exodus 25 : 17 - 22. The description of the cherubim with their wings. The materials they were to be made out of.

"Some" would say a lot of things.

Wasn't me who said it, Sue.

I saw some comments somewhere.

Not sure anymore where.