The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
fairystar

Freedom of speech

Good.

But of course there are limits. I can't remember which US Supreme Court case it was but one of the justices pointed out that you can't yell "fire!" in a crowded movie theater.

I do find it inconsistent when some people say that one shouldn't talk about Jesus Christ but then insist that others have the right to use His name as a curse. Why is it "freedom of speech" to curse Him out loud but then not freedom of speech to praise Him out loud?

Then there is the issue of "symbolic speech" (when a person's actions convey a message). Should flag burning be banned? etc.

• Like 1

People from all over the world would give all they had to come to the United States, why? for the FREEDOM'S we have, be it to live our life or to speak as we wish.

Man like me served this country to keep these FREEDOMS, do you fully understand what it costs to keep these FREEDOMS?

justme

It's how we communicate and point out what's right and wrong in society and government. Speech opens the doors of understanding so we can know exactly where people stand.

What is your opinion of freedom of speech?Do you think it is a good thing or a bad thing to have it?

I think it's good. Actually, it is the First Amendment where this freedom is stated. I think the Constitution is a good thing.

The speech referred to in the First Amendment primarily concerns political speech.

How did you read that conclusion?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I don't see anything telling what kind of speech is protected.

Simply reading the Founding Fathers and American history. The right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for a redress of grievances I think make it clear the speech the Fathers wanted to protect.

A very good thing to have it. A bad thing to abuse it. Just like any other right.

Yes. Many good things unfortunately can be abused.

Benjamin Franklin said that even in his time Americans were more concerned about rights than responsibilities. Today that thinking is on steroids to the tenth power. Perhaps another discussion though.

• Like 2

Staff

For the Christian, I think there's really no such thing as freedom of speech. We are not free to blaspheme, lie, gossip, slander, and use vulgarity, etc. Our tongue must be salted, graceful, and bridled.

Some will say we are not free, for example, to yell fire on an airplane. In actuality we're just not free to lie about it. The problem with bringing back and enforcing heresy laws is the standard of truth which we are held accountable. And with all the recent controversy in the news I am convinced perjury only applies to citizens. Politicians etc are held to a lower standard (oh, they're just being a politician).

God bless,

William

• Like 2

A very good thing to have it. A bad thing to abuse it. Just like any other right.

How can freedom of speech be abused?

I understand why people today claim it is sometimes abused, ie when it is used to incite hatred, but the truth is how an individual responds to another's words is there responsibility - we live in an age where political correctness has gone mad and no one feels able to say what they think - left wing liberalism has effectively crushed freedom of speech already

Personally, whilst I might find something some ones says, stupid or hurtful or disrespectful I hope that I would have the courage to lay down my life to depend that persons right to 'say' those things.

• Like 1

Staff
Personally, whilst I might find something some ones says, stupid or hurtful or disrespectful I hope that I would have the courage to lay down my life to depend that persons right to 'say' those things.

One of the most difficult things for me in the United Sates is having served my country in the military and having someone tell me what I can and cannot say (Political Correctness).

God bless,

William

• Like 2

The speech referred to in the First Amendment primarily concerns political speech.

How did you read that conclusion?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I don't see anything telling what kind of speech is protected.

Through reading history and the Founding Fathers.

One of the most difficult things for me in the United Sates is having served my country in the military and having someone tell me what I can and cannot say (Political Correctness).

God bless,

William

After investing my life for a period of nearly ten years in the Navy I have limits on how much I am willing to tolerate. This especially true when it comes to my Lord Jesus Christ being attacked, and those who support abortion.

Staff

God bless,

William

Personally I am against Political Correctness. The party pushing Political Correctness (liberal/democrats) just so happen to be pretty vocal advocates of the Christian faith, and like to dictate not only against freedom of speech but the right to practice our faith in the public. Most often they claim our faith shames sinners which is against the party's platform. There is no sexual immorality in the Democratic party, they only speak against it when opponents are disadvantaged in the election.