The Christian Protestant Community Forums

Sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community forums. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Community Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Placable37

In Communion Let It Be Known: Part 2

Placable37

Devotional - to meditate on, to rest on, to build on.

In Communion Let It Be Known:

Part 1

THE DEATH OF CHRIST IS REAL

a. As Planned (by God in His foreknowledge, seeing our need for a Saviour).

b. As Pictured and Prophesied (by God in the Bible, making known His Purpose for mankind).

c. As Payment (by God at His own expense, forgiving our debt).

(1Co 11:26)

For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup, you do show the Lord's death till he come.

In Communion Let It Be Known:

Part 2

THE DEATH OF CHRIST IS VOLUNTARY

a. As an act of His humility and obedience.

b. As an example of His self-sacrifice.

c. As an indication of His Divine Authority.

(Php 2:5-8) [HUMILITY & OBEDIENCE]

(5) Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

(6) Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

(7) But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

(8) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

(Heb 10:9-12) [sELF-SACRIFICE]

(9) Then said he, Lo, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.

(10) By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

(11) And every priest stands daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

(12) But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

(Joh 10:17-18) [DIVINE AUTHORITY]

(17) Therefore does my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

(18) No man takes it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

In communion let it be known, proclaimed, declared, shown forth; that as evidenced in His humility, obedience, self-sacrifice and Divine Authority, the death of Christ is voluntary.

• Like 1